Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jethro Tull

Options
  • 11-11-2011 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Never paid much heed to them when I was growing up as they were always that band that old guys listen to :D

But picked up the 40th Anniversary edition of Aqualung today on a whim, bloody album is older than I am:D,and I have to say that it is bloody good with it's folk rock/folk prog sound.

So I will most likely delve further into their back catalogue, and was just wondering if some of the ancient guys on here...........

*cough* Mike65 *cough*...

.......sorry just clearing my throat. Where was I? Oh yeah, I was wondering if some of the chronologically challenged rock folk on here might be so good as to share their wisdom on what albums to look out for or to avoid, with a young whipper snapper who may be in his 30's, an age those Boardsie rock dinosaurs can only dream of being.:pac:

Tull me up guys, let loose the flute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Great live album from argueably their peak period ...

415nx1uPmnL._SS400_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Depends on what you're into. Tull released albums steadily for years with different lineups.

Aqualung is a great place to start. Nice find.

An earlier one I still listen to is "Minstrel in the Gallery", but Living in the Past was rereleased a few years ago, and is the best of that era easily available.
    I might be mixing that up with "Living with the Past" which is a later compilation. I just looked at the track list of that and I'll be putting it on a Christmas list.

Other albums I remember well are Heavy Horses and Crest of a Knave,
    but do get Stand Up - even if you can't locate the vinyl pop up version :-)

I was at Tull's last big gig here in the Stadium (20 years ago last September...) I was talking to people there who'd been at their first one 20 years before that, so 20 year gaps is nothing for Tull enjoyment.

I'll post up if I remember any other top picks.
    Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Whenever I think of Jethro Tull now, I can't help but think of that scene in Anchorman when Ron starts playing Aqualung in the restaurant, so damn funny!
    Anyways, Thick As a Brick is an absolute masterpiece, and thats coming from somebody under the age of 30. Aqualung would be my second favourite, Songs From The Wood is also definitely worth checking out. Unfortunately thats where my love of Jethro Tull ends so I'll leave it to the oldies now, I could actually do with a few suggestions myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

The only albums I listened to were Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses. Great albums. Addicted to the song "Hunting Girl".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibDLLDOYfmY

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Baggio1

JTull my 2nd fave band after Rush great musicians a;ll round

anyway for me the albums to get are:

Aqualung
    Minstrell in The Gallery
    Crest Of A Knave
    Heavy Horses
    Roots To Branches
    Thick As A Brick
    Busrting Out Live

oh and one priceless pair of jewels are the 20th anniversay box set and the 25th anniversary box set.... coz both have a lot of unheard of stuff with some really great gems on them.

there ya go young maaaaan haah :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

One of my fav Tull tunes ...

Hey Kess .. you'll find a shocking number of Tull albums for £1.99 on sendit.com at the moment ...

http://www.sendit.com/elysium.search?search=jethro+tull&searchFilters=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kess73 sees some light (have you listening to Steely Dan yet!), I hope you like the quick riff "chucka-chucka-chucka" guitar sound of Martin Barre as that's as fundamental as Ian Andersons flute.

Check out This Was, Thick as a Brick, Minstrel in the Gallery and Crest of a Knave (by which point they sounded like Dire Straits smoking weed as Andersons voice had changed becoming more restricted in range/mellower while the guitar tone also become more FM radio friendly, still a good album though).

You'll catch the echo of Mark Knopfler on this track (from Crest reissue)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mike65 wrote: »
    Kess73 sees some light (have you listening to Steely Dan yet!), I hope you like the quick riff "chucka-chucka-chucka" guitar sound of Martin Barre as that's as fundamental as Ian Andersons flute.

Check out This Was, Thick as a Brick, Minstrel in the Gallery and Crest of a Knave (by which point they sounded like Dire Straits smoking weed as Andersons voice had changed becoming more restricted in range/mellower while the guitar tone also become more FM radio friendly, still a good album though).

You'll catch the echo of Mark Knopfler on this track (from Crest reissue)

Steely Dan just ain't gonna happen. My standards may be low, but they don't go that low.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Heavy Horses, Thick As A Brick, and Crest Of A Knave have been ordered. :)

Aqualung just gets better and better with repeat listens.

Am on a bit of a quest of late to find some new rock (or new old music :D) to listen to.

I tend to spend more time and effort trying to find metal that I like, and the rock side of things often gets neglected.

Hot Water Music, I Am The Avalance, Chuck Ragan (he of Hot Water Music vocal duties), and The Horrible Crowes (Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem provides lead vocals in this band) are four more rock bands/artists that I am checking out in more depth atm.

Not one of Tull's most loved albums but one of my favourite album covers ...

Good opening tune too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

RayCon wrote: »
    Not one of Tull's most loved albums but one of my favourite album covers ...

Good opening tune too ...

Bought this one based purely in the cover. Start of a looooong and slippery slope...

Anniversary box set, 180gm vinyl....? Hmmmmmm......

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nice Martyr

I have Aqualung, Thick as a Brick and Minstrel in the Gallery and all are fantastic albums. I hear their 80's output is nothing special?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kess73 wrote: »
    Never paid much heed to them when I was growing up as they were always that band that old guys listen to :D

But picked up the 40th Anniversary edition of Aqualung today on a whim, bloody album is older than I am:D

Same here although I am older than Aqualung :p

Never really came across them until I heard heavy horses a few weeks ago. Wow! That was not just a song - a whole atmosphere! Pretty complex rhythm / instruments used. I'll have some exploration of their other work to do over the next few months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And I feel Bach himself would approve of his little suite for lute:

Played liked this:

Awesome.

Advertisement