Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk about Being Up your own *** as a county!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hey I'd be all for it....if we can raise more revenue from gullible cork people then all the better for the rest of us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Corkonian’s unique attachment and devotion to their county is known country and world wide. The Certificate of Irish Heritage is a great initiative, and creates great value and a bond with our people wherever they live, but why not take this further with a Cork Heritage cert or “Cork passport”.

For those of us born Cork or with Cork heritage we know that this too is something that should be celebrated. Cork people are known for coming home from other counties to buy their C reg cars, wearing their GAA jerseys on casual Fridays and logging into the People’s Republic Website daily. The Cork Heritage cert is just another manifestation of genuine Cork Pride. Dowtcha boy.

We are a people apart and a place apart and I believe that this feeling is shared by Cork people whether they live in Dublin or DC.

This is an initiative that will add value to our diaspora and generate funding for much needed projects for Cork.

Wording of motion:

“That Cork City Council would introduce a ‘Certificate of Corkness’ or a ‘Cork Passport’, issued similarly to the ‘Certificate of Irish Heritage’ scheme introduced by Central Government earlier this year.

The document will be available to people outside Cork who want their Cork roots to be officially recognised. Anybody applying for the certificate will have to provide proof of their Cork ancestry and connection with our great county.

Well if they get their own passports it would be easier to keep them out of the rest of the country... Cork county border checks ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Hey I'd be all for it....if we can raise more revenue from gullible cork people then all the better for the rest of us :)
    smash wrote: »
    Well if they get their own passports it would be easier to keep them out of the rest of the country... Cork county border checks ftw.

2 Very valid points!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I thought they were the 'real capital' - cities don't get passports, capital or not. Silly Cork people.

I thought they were the 'real capital' - cities don't get passports, capital or not. Silly Cork people.

Yeah the "real capital", i guess that why they're actually tha capit....... oh wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

maybe they should do a "your're not from cork certificate@ - they'd make a lot more money on that. another 31 counties full of money.

maybe they should do a "your're not from cork certificate@ - they'd make a lot more money on that. another 31 counties full of money.

Would be a lot more popular too!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭Archeron

"I'm from Cork boooiiii and I have the passport to prove it..."

"Really? Wow, well I'm glad you showed me that because I would never have known otherwise"

Genius... Everyone outside Cork would buy one!

Bumper stickers too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Cork the fillet of Munster.

• Advertisement

Archeron wrote: »
    "I'm from Cork boooiiii and I have the passport to prove it..."

"Really? Wow, well I'm glad you showed me that because I would never have known otherwise"

They do blend in well........ :eek:
    smash wrote: »
    Genius... Everyone outside Cork would buy one!

Bumper stickers too...

Lets do it, we'll make a fortune selling merchandise!!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

if they use it to get out of the country we could tell passprt control not to let them back in, use it as a trial run then do same with Limerick.... and Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Cop on ye bunch of l*ngers... yer only jealous ;):D

'on the banks......of my own...lovely Lee....' :rolleyes:

danniemcq wrote: »
    if they use it to get out of the country we could tell passprt control not to let them back in, use it as a trial run then do same with Limerick.... and Dublin

I like your thinking........... except the dublin part!!! lol
    AEDIC wrote: »
    Cop on ye bunch of l*ngers... yer only jealous ;):D

'on the banks......of my own...lovely Lee....' :rolleyes:

I'm hardly jealous of needing a certificate to be proud of where I'm from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

not in the slightest bit surprised about this.

Sure us here in Kerry have our own 'Kerry passport' with the last number of years,

so t'wud be only fitting for Cork to follow suit like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

We must chastise this rebellious county.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I would instantly lose respect for anyone who spent money on something like that. I love my county but I don't need a Dublin passport to prove that or to remind everyone else of that.

I can't decide if it's arrogance or gullible ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Obviously being proud of where you're from is a terrible offence.

It sounds like the kind of thing you'd get done for a christening for a child as a kitschy memento.
    Nothing wrong with that but this being Ireland I'm sure the cost of such an item would be prohibitive.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    not in the slightest bit surprised about this.

Sure us here in Kerry have our own 'Kerry passport' with the last number of years,

so t'wud be only fitting for Cork to follow suit like :)

I hope you took Sam's name off the Kerry List :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Coming from someone from Cork, Cork people can be deluded at times.

In saying that, like people from every county most people from Cork are proud of their county.

Personally, I couldnt give a toss and I hate the " Real capital " BS thats thrown around by some people, its embarassing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Oh hey! How bout we get Cork a seperate Eurovision entry and they can give us 12 and we can give them 12 :D

Jaxxy wrote: »
    I can't decide if it's arrogance or gullible ignorance.

Not only is it both, but its also Insecurities IMO. They need a "passport" to make themselves feel good about their heritage!! They should be proud of where they're from on its own!!!

But thank god that not everyone from cork has this attitude!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

look, just buy branding irons for the maternity hospitals and be done with it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

mackg wrote: »
    Cork the fillet of Munster.

Gift Grub Radio Roy yeah? :D

Cork - Always ask your Pharmacist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

i remember living in cork 10 years ago, they are lovely people and they are fiercely proud of their own city,heritage in that they really believe in the 'people's republic of cork' mantra. think the passport is a bit crazy really

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Not only is it both, but its also Insecurities IMO. They need a "passport" to make themselves feel good about their heritage!! They should be proud of where they're from on its own!!!

Jaysus...you need to chill out a bit :) I dont think its saying anywhere that anyone 'needs' a passport to make themselves feel good about their heritage....it seems to be suggesting it should be an extension of your pride.

People show thier pride for their counties all the time....just in different ways...what makes one way better than the other....or indeed makes what is being suggested there any worse..... its all a bitta craic anyway :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Considering the majority of Cork voted Fianna Fail in the last election, I wouldn't rule it out.

Lets do it, we'll make a fortune selling merchandise!!! lol

Perfect... http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2352/corkp.jpg

AEDIC wrote: »
    Jaysus...you need to chill out a bit :) I dont think its saying anywhere that anyone 'needs' a passport to make themselves feel good about their heritage....it seems to be suggesting it should be an extension of your pride.

People show thier pride for their counties all the time....just in different ways...what makes one way better than the other....or indeed makes what is being suggested there any worse..... its all a bitta craic anyway :p

I just think its ridiculous, why someone would want to pay for a certificate to be proud of their heritage is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

The sooner Lisbon quakes and sends a tsunami to the shores of Cork the better. Those langers won't be as full of themselves swimming around in a tsunami of their own sh1te.

Advertisement