Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Monuments viewer refers to a 1929 OS map?

• 11-11-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been involved in local history for many years but have never heard of the 1929 6 inch OS map as refered to on the national monuments viewer on archaeology.ie.

I have used the 1829-41 & 1897-1913 OS maps many times but have never heard of the 1929 edition.

Does anyone have an info on this map.Had a look at osi.ie & the internet in general but came up with nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

A total guess which is probably totally wrong - maybe the 1929 OS maps were a special edition on which national monuments were marked. There is a bit of a coincidence between the passing of the National Monuments Act (1930) and the date of these maps. Archaeology Forum on here or OSI for info?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Antigonus

The original SMR/RMP maps consisted of constraint rings superimposed on an edition of the OS from circa 1940 - I think this was the last update of the 6 inch Ordnance Survey.

Could you be mistakenly reading 1829 as 1929?

http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/Guide1.pdf

And the archaeological survey of ireland didn't kick off until the late sixties and seventies. The first maps weren't published until the 80s as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Thanks for the info guys,
    I've attached an image of what I am on about.

• Advertisement

I presume this is the www.archaeology.ie website? Is it somewhere in Meath (that's the only county that Michael Moore did an archaeological inventory for as far as I'm aware)? Have you checked it against the First Edition maps on www.osi.ie website to check whether the description corresponds? As far as I am aware most of the meath maps date from c. 1837-40 (the previous www.irishhistoricmaps.ie website had an extra field where you could confirm the date for each sheet but they don't have it on the www.osi.ie website). It may be a typo in the original published inventory (worth checking) or simply an error in transcription when the inventory was fed into the website database? :confused:

you might let us know what townland it is in?

Sorry I'm totally wrong; he did Waterford and Wexford and Leitrim as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

JR79 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys,
    I've attached an image of what I am on about.
    Almost definitely a typo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

I could have sworn I read somewhere that there was information gathered in each locality when some of the old maps were been drawn up. Has anyone else heard of this? I can't find any mention of it anywhere now though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

patsman07 wrote: »
    I could have sworn I read somewhere that there was information gathered in each locality when some of the old maps were been drawn up. Has anyone else heard of this? I can't find any mention of it anywhere now though.
    There was a quantity of extra information not directly related to the mapping process but which merited recording by the original surveyors.
    I think these are referred to as the 'Ordnance Survey boundary letters'.

As far as I know, these were notes recorded by the pair of surveyors who actually walked the townland boundaries, writing things down if they felt they were worth noting.
    This was for the 1842 map series.
    I don't think boundaries were walked in this way for the 1887 series, but I could easily be completely wrong.
    These letters or notes are held in the NLI but as yet, have not been digitised, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Maybe that was it. Thanks!

patsman07 wrote: »

The Boundary Survey compiled written descriptions and sketch maps for all the townland boundaries in notebooks which are now available in the National Archives. From personal experience they are not terribly informative.

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search/index.php?category=17&subcategory=97

Alternatively you may be referring to the Ordnance Survey letters which contained details relevant to the history and antiquities of the area, particularly material relevant to the placenames branch of the Ordnance Survey. They hired Gaelic scholars - Eugene O'Curry and John O'Donovan to carry out this works. They are published for a number of counties including Meath, WIcklow, Offaly, Mayo etc. They made a single attempt to compile a more detailed account - for the parish of Templemore, Derry - but was abandoned as too costly and time-consuming:

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/history/osl/intro.htm

The Ordnance Survey generated a wide range of other materials. It was an astonishingly detailed project; nothing has really equalled it in terms of breadth and detail since. See generally:

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search/index.php?category=17

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Antigonus wrote: »
    you might let us know what townland it is in?

townland is Kilmore, Co. Roscommon

Antigonus wrote: »
    The Boundary Survey compiled written descriptions and sketch maps for all the townland boundaries in notebooks which are now available in the National Archives. From personal experience they are not terribly informative.

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search/index.php?category=17&subcategory=97

Alternatively you may be referring to the Ordnance Survey letters which contained details relevant to the history and antiquities of the area, particularly material relevant to the placenames branch of the Ordnance Survey. They hired Gaelic scholars - Eugene O'Curry and John O'Donovan to carry out this works. They are published for a number of counties including Meath, WIcklow, Offaly, Mayo etc. They made a single attempt to compile a more detailed account - for the parish of Templemore, Derry - but was abandoned as too costly and time-consuming:

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/history/osl/intro.htm

The Ordnance Survey generated a wide range of other materials. It was an astonishingly detailed project; nothing has really equalled it in terms of breadth and detail since. See generally:

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search/index.php?category=17
    Thank you for these links Antigonus, as the great angler said about the fish:
    ".....had him, then I lost him".

The links are safely bookmarked now. ;)

Advertisement