Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking lease - landlord asking letting fees and PRTB

Options
  • 11-11-2011 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there,
    I signed a 1 year lease but for personal reasons I had to leave the house after 3 months.
    I gave the landlord 40 days’ written notice, we agreed on a phone call that I would have found somebody to take the lease but 2 days after the call he hired a letting company.
    Now that I agreed to move out before the end of the notice to accommodate the request of the new tenants of moving in in a particular date, the landlord is asking me:
    · 240 euro of letting fees for the agency (fraction of the 1200 yearly fee that he pays anyway to the letting company!)
    · 90 euro that he paid to register my tenancy (PRTB)
    Is this legal? I’m almost sure he cannot ask me the PRTB.
    He said he’ll give me back part of the rent that I paid but I did not use since I moved out before the notice.

Cheers. E.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You broke the lease so technically he can ask you for the outstanding balance of the lease.

I wouldn't give him the money for the letting company if it was agreed that you would find another tenant. If it was me I'd be asking for the PRTB fee as you left early.

But as I cant give legal advice I'd suggest that you contact some one who can.

Advertisement