Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike scheme, similar to Dublins

• 11-11-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Meeting was held there on Wednesday, some talk of it on WLR etc. There was very little notice of it. They are looking at possibility of rolling out this scheme to Waterford, Cork, Limerick and Galway as Dublin has been such a success. It was stated that private funding will be needed if it is to be implemented. The city has suffered so much in last year or 2 its hard to see the funding beign raised. On saying that, would love to see teh scheme in place. Since we are a small city in comparison to Dublin, a relatively few drop off points would work Hospital, WIT, Train/bus station, The Mall, Red Square should cover it.

Anyone know anything about the meeting?
    Could some advertiser be persuaded to fork out 5-6million for it in exchange for ad space?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Be right laugh on a night out to cycle home :pac: but I'd be all for it. Be great for students too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 life goes on

ziedth wrote: »
    Be right laugh on a night out to cycle home :pac: but I'd be all for it. Be great for students too.

just wondering can you be done for drink driving on a bicycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ziedth wrote: »

You can't take out a bike after 00.30 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

dayshah wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was thinking of investing in this, as a local business, but I think they are looking for larger businesses with much bigger money available to them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

yes I believe you can, if you have a driving license it can affect it even if your caught on a bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

The nanny state strikes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

Another kick in the stones for the poor auld taxi drivers if we all start cycling around the place:eek:

Since when was JCDecaux a 'nanny state'?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its for safety and security of the bikes (and idiotic drunk people!), you can argue with it but its worked in Dublin and everyone expected all the bikes to be kicked to ****, stolen, parts taken off them within weeks.

In order to ensure all the bikes are in the busiest locations you do know that trucks move them around by day?

So if you have people using them without any trucks to move them around and make sure they are in the right locations for the busy morning period it will have a negative affect on alot of people. In short, the fact you can't get one after midnight is in people's interest for the busy morning period.

If you want a bike after midnight then just buy your own :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

As they are supplying public transport,JC would have been issued a license to do so by the Dept of transport which would have restrictions on it.
    Like most thing´s in waterford the City council will make a ball´s of it.

There are two main differences between Waterford and Dublin for this scheme:

1) Waterford is more hilly than Dublin
    2) Waterford is a lot smaller. The Dublin scheme is for short trips in the city centre, which is a bit pointless in Waterford, so people would be using it for trips from the suburbs to city centre.

I think a scheme with points along the Dunmore Rd and Cork Rd could work.
    As they are supplying public transport,JC would have been issued a license to do so by the Dept of transport which would have restrictions on it.
    Like most thing´s in waterford the City council will make a ball´s of it.

Off topic, but I think the city council have been doing very well over the past 2/3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Where dayshah said, and also a point in Ferrybank and a point up by Cleaboy to serve all the houses and industrial estates. And me, when I want to free-wheel down the hills :)

mecco wrote: »
    Where dayshah said, and also a point in Ferrybank and a point up by Cleaboy to serve all the houses and industrial estates. And me, when I want to free-wheel down the hills :)

That's actually a major problem for the scheme. Everyone wants to cycle downhill, and no-one want to cycle back, so you need to employ someone with a truck to put bikes at the top of the hill.

The schemes use those trucks the world over though, to cater for regular high demand areas. For example, they presumably stock up all the residential points to be ready for weekday mornings. One truck moving 10 or 20 bikes around is better than 10/20 people driving to work/town/whatever.

Generally speaking, you always hear how it has been a roaring success all over Europe, surely Waterford wouldn't be the sole oddball place where it doesn't work? Surely!! :)

The schemes use those trucks the world over though, to cater for regular high demand areas. For example, they presumably stock up all the residential points to be ready for weekday mornings. One truck moving 10 or 20 bikes around is better than 10/20 people driving to work/town/whatever.

Generally speaking, you always hear how it has been a roaring success all over Europe, surely Waterford wouldn't be the sole oddball place where it doesn't work? Surely!! :)

Waterford would just need a higher truck/bike ratio.

But anyway, they have it in Paris, and Paris is hilly in places.

~ __0
    _-\<,_
    (*)/ (*)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056448193
    I asked the same thing not too long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Waterford would just need a higher truck/bike ratio.

But anyway, they have it in Paris, and Paris is hilly in places.

~ __0
    _-\<,_
    (*)/ (*)

I read somewhere that Paris was the most challenging of all cities where this was implemented. A hell of a lot of the bikes were stolen or damaged (80% in year one) But the major problem they had was Everyone used to Get the bikes in the morning by their residential areas and Free wheel down the hills into the city. Fire the bike into a stand (or the Seine) and hop on the bus home after work. most the bikes used to just go one way and have to be Driven back up the Hills and redistributed. So not a roaring success there.

I read somewhere that Paris was the most challenging of all cities where this was implemented. A hell of a lot of the bikes were stolen or damaged (80% in year one) But the major problem they had was Everyone used to Get the bikes in the morning by their residential areas and Free wheel down the hills into the city. Fire the bike into a stand (or the Seine) and hop on the bus home after work. most the bikes used to just go one way and have to be Driven back up the Hills and redistributed. So not a roaring success there.

Haven't most places gotten over the loss/theft factor now by having people register for the system. You get a keyfob that unlocks a particular bike and if that bike goes awol, then you are responsible somehow. Thats how it seemed to work in Barcelona anyway when I was there.

^ that's how it works in Dublin too IIRC.

• Advertisement

Don't they work off your credit card too? The longer you have it, the more you're charged. If it isn't returned, you get fined automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Pretty much yeh, Charges you by the half hour and if you obscond you pay the €150 or what ever the deposit might be. Locks built into them must be better in Dublin than they were in Paris. they were being pulled out of the stands and damaged while still in them i believe.

Well, look at naive old me. I thought it would be a monthly or yearly subscription fee type deal. I think I'd still use it a bit though, so long as it worked out noticeably cheaper than a taxi and more convenient than waiting on a bus.

It would have to work out allot cheaper though wouldn't it? I mean what's a taxi from hillview to say the clock tower? €7/8? You wouldn't want to be paying more then €4 for the same trip on the bike.

Yeah about that for a taxi, and the bus is €2.20 or something. So the bike would need to be around the €2 mark and not so far away that you'd just wait for the bus instead. Maybe Hillview is a bit of a bad example though because the bus already stops in there so no walking required to get to it.

Yeah about that for a taxi, and the bus is €2.20 or something. So the bike would need to be around the €2 mark and not so far away that you'd just wait for the bus instead. Maybe Hillview is a bit of a bad example though because the bus already stops in there so no walking required to get to it.

First 30min on the bike are free though, you'd get to ALOT of places in Waterford during that time.

Dublin bikes costs are as follows
    http://www.dublinbikes.ie/Subscription/Pricing-Structure/Pricing-structure
    1hour at 50c.....yeah I think its cheaper then any bus going :D

Cabaal wrote: »

First 30min on the bike are free though, you'd get to ALOT of places in Waterford during that time.

Dublin bikes costs are as follows
    http://www.dublinbikes.ie/Subscription/Pricing-Structure/Pricing-structure
    1hour at 50c.....yeah I think its cheaper then any bus going :D

Ah good man..I'm back on board ;) although I'll probably do an injury getting there within 30 minutes!!

Ah good man..I'm back on board ;) although I'll probably do an injury getting there within 30 minutes!!
    You'd get a fair distance in 30 minutes on a bike!
    I cycle most mornings, about 8km in total, and it takes about 25 mins. And that's on a bog standard mountain bike!

Advertisement