Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good setup for Broadcast quality field recording?

Options
  • 11-11-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Apologies if I'm in the wrong forum for this one.

What could you recommend me for field recording (one-to-one interviewing) in terms of recording medium and microphone?

I've got a Sony portable DAT from ages ago, but there's no digital I/O on it and I don't want to go digital->analogue->digital in order to edit on my PC. I've also got a fairly cheap and cheerful Sharp Mini-Disc recorder - again, no digital I/O on it.

I've a fairly small budget and I was thinking of getting the Marantz portable recorder, but the in-built bi-directional mic's I think would be unsuitable for vox-pop type recording.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you can make a good sound recording with what you've got I wouldn't be to worried about converting it from analogue. It's the end result that's important not so much how you got there. Improving the quality of sound can get fairly expensive and spending money is no guarantee of success.

• Site Banned Posts: 67 ✭✭Lemmewinks

Apologies if I'm in the wrong forum for this one.

What could you recommend me for field recording (one-to-one interviewing) in terms of recording medium and microphone?

I've got a Sony portable DAT from ages ago, but there's no digital I/O on it and I don't want to go digital->analogue->digital in order to edit on my PC. I've also got a fairly cheap and cheerful Sharp Mini-Disc recorder - again, no digital I/O on it.

I've a fairly small budget and I was thinking of getting the Marantz portable recorder, but the in-built bi-directional mic's I think would be unsuitable for vox-pop type recording.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I got one of these and it kicks a*s.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/zoom_h2.htm

2 x stereo mics = 4 channel recording. 3 input levels. Perfect for handheld or on the end of a boom. Works off 2 x AA batteries which last for ages. Storage off an SD card.
    Then just USB connect to your computer & copy & paste files off the card.
    It comes with an adapter that screws into the bottom so it'll fit onto a mic stand like an ordinary mic, or can be hand held during interviews.

Advertisement