Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

No.

Dukes made his comments within the confines and confines of the Quinn documentary, and discussion of same in on-topic and fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,408 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'd say Quinns popularity is at an all time low after the documentary.

Sure, he'll have his hardcore loyalists but any neutrals are long gone at this stage. The Lunny assault changed everything. The walk out of all the workers from Mannok was a huge show of solidarity. That poor man is destroyed forever.

As a matter of interest, what's employment like in the area now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dukes’ comments, whilst ill-judged were correct in what he was trying to convey, but he could have worded it less “offensively.”

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭Field east

That ‘community rep’ that was interviewed a few times was initially quiet balanced in that he was trying to solve the ‘problem’ through proper channels and by legal means. He was quiet happy to see/ be involved in the idea of a buyout by a group of locals and , from memory, he was ‘ a bit taken aback’ when SQ ‘blew a fuse ‘ and walked out of the arrangement that the new local owners had with him. Apparently, it was not good enough for SQ that the whole business was being very locally owned again but HE HAD TO HAVE FULL OWNERSHIP OF IT AGAIN - how , in the name of God, did he expect that with all that he had done when, especially, you consider becoming a director and you just being declared bankrupt, the money needed re paying capital gains tax or equivalent.

but I still think that he should have been allowed to ‘stay put’ but only sounder VERY strict arrangements/conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I don't think when John B Keane wrote The Field did he think that his plot would play out in modern Ireland to the tune of billions of euro. But we got our own modern day Bull McCabe, Sean Quinn.

1150 that ‘community rep’ who I referred to in post no 1150 suddenly changed his tune when the local group sold up to ‘Outsiders’ . That seemed to upset him and he seemed to be bitter about it

So , for him it was not good enough that all the jobs were retained and all the company’s’ stayed in business - A BIG BIG PLUS FOR THE COMMUNITY- but he wanted local ownership. So he was’nt ‘as community loving’ as he was making himself out to be

can any Boardie recall why the local business people who bought the Q Group and brought in SQ as a consultant sold the business to ‘outsiders’. Was it because of local pressure, unbearable criminality or what?

Was that to do with the glass plant? There was something odd in the contract with the creditors that if they sold that they’d get a better deal out of it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Everyone in Dublin are thieving junkies.

I'm correct in what I am trying to convey, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The only issue I’d have with the comments made by Dukes is that it provided a sound bite for the Quinnettes to latch on to as an example of bias. But what Dukes said has merit, the border area on both sides has been synonymous with lawbreaking for years. The people there are not all animals of course, but there does seem to be plenty around that area given the events reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Anything that can reasonably be perceived as regionalist snobbery plays into the hands of the Healy Raes, Lowry, Quinn etc. Its their bread and butter. Way too many pseudo-sophisticated people walking into these traps which have been deliberately set for them.

No but there certainly are a hugely disproportionate number of them. And your comment doesn’t upset me

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Oh yeah, my comment wouldn't upset you, because of context and stature.

But what if Michael Martin said it in a few years, or someone of political standing. Enda Kenny now maybe?

It really wouldnt. I guess I’m not as sensitive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

Quinnbet would have needed substantial funding to get up and running in the online market where every other trader has been squeezed out by the monopoly of the Big 2.

It's not viewed as a particular good platform yet returned massive profits recently declared. Is money being washed through it?

Maybe the industry regulators are keeping an eye on it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You're getting worked up over the crass comments of a former politician (who has since publicly apologised for his remarks) during a documentary about someone who helped add a massive amount of money to our national debt while gambling with the livleihoods of his thousands of employees. We also heard the man victim-blame a former trusted employee of his who was brutally beaten and tortured.

But yeah, focus on the important stuff 🙄

I take it for granted that your less offended at Dukes comments and more willing to make use of them as political capital

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭blackwhite

My understanding was that it wasn't locals that bought it, but rather it was largely US Private Equity investors putting up the money and the former management team brought in to run it for them with a minority shareholding only in the hands of the former management.

Quinn's consultant role was a "hearts & minds" play by the new owners, but Quinn wanted to take over running the business again himself and it caused the relationship to break down quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Wouldn't upset me either.

I would be looking at ways of addressing the problem that led to the comment. That would be more important.

Like Dukes comment isn't that important compared to the large kernel of truth about lawlessness at the heart of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Deeec

I used to think Sean Quinn was a clever man - the documentary showed me that hes not a clever man at all, hes a bully, who bullied his way to the top in business. He came across as being a very ignorant man who thinks the law doesnt apply to him.

As far as he is concerned he made a mistake but he is in no way sorry for what he done. No remorse shown at all - he still thinks he is hard done by Sean Quinn. How can people have sympathy for him? If he had an ounce of brains in his head he should have came on the TV and said how sorry he was and that he agrees with the decision to kick him out. Instead he will be bitter until the day he dies.

His disrespect for his former management team is disgusting - People who are just doing their jobs and are subjected to violence because of that. I'm sure both they and their families live in fear because of SQ ( whether he is directly involved or not - its his fault).

• Advertisement

Although Sean said he had nothing to do with Lunney's abduction, he comes across as someone who isn't unhappy that it happened, no matter what he says. He did some victim-blaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

The attack on Lunney a border man was carried out and planned by men from Dublin and as for South Tipperary well all I'll say is look at the case of poor Moll McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd equate Sean Quinn doing that programme to Prince Andrew doing his 'I can't sweat' interview. Both would have been viewed slightly more positively if they didn't do those interviews because neither of them came out well out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Dig up blanch.

What's this opaque "large kernal" you speak of? And who exactly are the lawless you speak of?

Before you set-out on your journey, please note nobody is interested in rates of school truancy in El Paso Texas or ATM fraud in Tijuana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

It is easy to see through the bullshit that he has concern for the region. His only concern is greed and power.

Even after the hiding of the assets and the intimidation on any potential outside buyers, as an advisor to the local management team on 500K a year, he could have continued living a great life, proud in his achievements that the region had great employment because of him and that he was still involved with the local people he guided and groomed in the running of the companies. He would have been treated like royalty in the region with his reputation intact. The advisory role would also have allowed ample time for him to pursue other business interests and who knows what could be possible after a few years of keeping the head down and doing what he was good at.

Getting offered that advisory role was him winning, his sense of entitlement, lack of remorse and entitlement made that an impossibility for him to see it as such.

There could have been a very different documentary made on his rise and fall. Imagine, a Sean Quinn appearing in it who was sorry, but delighted that his gambling didn't mean the businesses were lost to the region.

I am kind of torn on Quinn. People need to be balanced. The man did a lot of good for the country and areas. He also made mistakes, and compounded them. He is only human. For a lot of ordinary folks it is not possible to fully fathom the types of lives and intricacies and complexities involved in people like Quinn, and organizations that these people run and manage and care for.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that to be too black and white on Quinn really misses the enormous amount of detail, nuance and complexity of it all

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Q1: How many of those business people that made mistakes took an unnecessary gamble risking the livleihoods of their thousands of employees and resulting in an absolutely massive hit to the taxpayer.

Q2: Of the number that you've come up with from Q1, how many of those business people blame everyone else except themselves for their unnecessary gamble? How many of them are apologetic for the harm they've done?

And how many of them angrily despise the people who stepped up, steadied the ship and rescued the business?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

lmao @ people being offended by (former) politicians airing their honest feelings. Someone call a waaaambulance!

Advertisement