Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss rang to come in..I have a sick note

Options
  • 11-11-2011 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

My brother has been on life support and things aren't looking good. I have obviously been off work and went to my doctor on Weds to get a sick note which says 'stress' until next Tuesday.

Anyway, my boss rang me this morning to say that he appreciates my situation but that he needed me in today to finish a report (it's quite an important report and only I do a certain section of it etc).

So I'm at my desk and the report is finished and he's gone off to a conference and has asked me to stay until 5pm ..'in case of an emergency'...

There will be no emergency, and if there is, there are other staff who could deal with it.

Where do I stand if I just go home earlier than 5?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mickster29

your personal problem is of far greater importance than your managers work related one.I presume you have a mobile phone and he has your number and in an absolute emergency he could ring you.Personally i think he has a cheek to ask you to stay on in the circumstances.hope your brother pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

You should not be in the workplace when you have a sicknote. You should
    look at citizens advice info, apparantely you should only return to work on date stated by doctor that you are fit to return to work. Your boss is being very unfair, hope all works out for your brother, take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I thought that myself - but I showed him my cert and he said 'sure we'll talk about that next week'.

Thanks for your kind words - it's not likely he'll pull through unfortunately and how I focused on that report is anyone's guess.

My boss has also said that he 'hopes' I'm here next week and another member of staff is on leave etc...
    He's usually quite fair and I'm surprised by his behaviour today - but maybe it will give me the kick up the ar*e to find a new job anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Actually, im going to the hospital now.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

not insured if you're in the office with a sick note and anything happens, so best to be off anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Work might not even be insured for you to be in work, you shouldn't be there.
    My brother has been on life support and things aren't looking good.

Shìt. That's awful, sorry to hear that. Even more reason you shouldn't be there. If I were in that situation, I'd send an email, head off and deal with the work stuff later.

The only small issue is that "stress" is not considered an illness, and would not be accepted on a sick note in my company. But you can talk to your doctor about that later, and get another sick note that will cover you.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I am sorry to hear about your brother. If you have a sick note you are not insured in your office as you are not suppose to be there.
    I can't believe your boss ringing you to come back to work as some one is out or is on holidays next week.
    Your family are more important than your job at the moment but I would get sick certs to cover the time off just in case your boss gets stroppy at a later time.

Can I ask if you company is short staffed or is it like most companies 1 person doing the job of 2.
    What is your boss like in general - do they think the job is the only thing in life or are they on a regular power trip like some of my ex bosses.
    I would wait to see how things pan out before changing jobs but if this is happening with your boss at the moment I can understand why you would look for another job later.
    I hope things get better for you. Let us know what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. Take the time out now to be with your brother in the hospital. If you don't you will regret it. Especially as you say its not looking good, you wont get this time back no matter what. this time is more valuable than any future job problems you could have from not going to work.

Secondly, tell your boss you wont be in for the forseeable future until things get sorted out. Hes the boss, its his job to sort out things...which include staff absenteeism (for whatever reasons)

thirdly, whenever you get yourself back to some sort of normality, make sure you take your boss's boss aside (or failing that go to HR)and make a complaint about the situation. you are under enough stress at the moment without your boss putting you under pressure to comeback to work to write reports. Its extremely unprofessional of your boss to do such a thing (not to mind the ethics of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

daheff wrote: »
    Firstly, I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. Take the time out now to be with your brother in the hospital. If you don't you will regret it. Especially as you say its not looking good, you wont get this time back no matter what. this time is more valuable than any future job problems you could have from not going to work.

Secondly, tell your boss you wont be in for the forseeable future until things get sorted out. Hes the boss, its his job to sort out things...which include staff absenteeism (for whatever reasons)

thirdly, whenever you get yourself back to some sort of normality, make sure you take your boss's boss aside (or failing that go to HR)and make a complaint about the situation. you are under enough stress at the moment without your boss putting you under pressure to comeback to work to write reports. Its extremely unprofessional of your boss to do such a thing (not to mind the ethics of it)

Totally agree with everything above!! Forget about the job and your boss, there's clearly more important things in life than a report... it's your bosses fault that he doesn't have anyone else trained to do this report. It is HIGHLY unprofessional and insensitive for him to ask you to come in either today or next week! There's no way I'd let it stand like that, defo make a complaint about his actions and behavior!

And I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you and all your family will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Fittle wrote: »
    Actually, im going to the hospital now.thanks
    I do hope you have done this. The boss sounds like a cold hearted son of a b....

• Advertisement
Advertisement