Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primavera 2012

Options
  • 11-11-2011 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

First announcements today;
    Bjork
    Yo la Tengo
    Guided By Voices
    Jeff Mangum
    Neon Indian
    Codeine
    Other Lives

Website

Pretty underwhelming so far :(. Pooey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Really no point trying to judge it based on this. I've never seen an initial Primavera announcement being received with anything more than meh. Admittedly though this must be Yo La Tengos fifth time in a row in some form or another?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

This is very true, but having had my ticket since September, I was hoping for something a bit more exciting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Is it just me that thinks having Guided By Voices on it makes it exciting then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Is it just me that thinks having Guided By Voices on it makes it exciting then?
    No, i'm very excited about them playing it too:)
    Jeff Mangum will be a dead cert for auditorium and will see huge demand, thankfully seeing him in March will mean avoiding that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Great start to the line-up. Never thought i'd get to see GBV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Thumbs up for Guided by Voices. Still have fond memories of their Ambassador gig nearly ten years ago. And Bjork is good too.

some new additions today for the Barcelona version
    wilco
    Archers of Loaf
    Death in Vegas
    The Drums
    Godflesh
    Josh T. Pearson
    Mudhoney
    The Olivia Tremor Control
    SBTRKT ft. Sampha
    Shellac
    Veronica Falls
    Washed Out

Wilco, AOL and Josh T, oh bring on sunny Barca

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Death Cab For Cutie
    The XX
    Spiritualized
    The Dirty Three
    Beach House
    Siskiyou

Numbers label showcase:
    Jackmaster (DJ)
    Oneman (DJ)
    Deadboy (DJ)
    Spencer (DJ)
    Redinho (live)

Basques Lisabö (Barcelona only)
    Explosions In The Sky (Porto only)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Guided by Voices have cancelled. :(

http://robertpollard.net/news.html

• Advertisement

Guided by Voices have cancelled. :(

http://robertpollard.net/news.html

Bad news:(

some bands announced today
    OFF!
    Sandro Perri
    A$ap rocky
    Baxter Dury
    Franz Ferdinand.

Not exactly exciting

How many times have Shellac played Primavera? This must be their fifth year in a row or something.

more bands added today

Afghan whigs
    justice
    mazzy star
    mayhem
    napalm death
    sleep
    melvins
    wolves in the throne room
    liturgy
    grimes
    buffy Sainte Marie
    Araabmuzik

Some real nice additions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Just wondering if anyone has advice about accommodation? It's my first year heading over and I want to get things sorted out before everywhere is booked :) I know very little about the area!

Léan wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has advice about accommodation? It's my first year heading over and I want to get things sorted out before everywhere is booked :) I know very little about the area!

The festival is held in the St. Marti District, there are a few hotels very closeby e.g Barcelona Princess is adjacent to festival,hilton, AC Barcelona forum, hotel diagonal zero(at entrance to festival) all pretty expensive, a cheaper option but still very good is the GBB front maritim, it overlooks the sea and is a 15 minute walk along the sea front to the festival site. The official site www.primaverasound.com has plenty of recommended hotels and appartments
    There is a metro station el maresme forúm a 5 minute walk away from fest site, which is 6 stops from City centre. There are also buses run from the festival into placa de catalunya after the metro shuts on the Thursday and Friday nights (metro runs all night on Saturdays, starts at 5am Fri Sat morning) if you prefer to stay in the centre. Just be aware that la ramblas is not safe in the early hours if you plan on booking accommodation in that part of the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 WIMBOT

Myself & a buddy have booked our tickets for this and cannot wait as I have been wanting to go to this festival for about 3yrs. The line up is shaping up nicely too.

Anyone know what are the dates is the actually Festival running is it 30th - 3rd or just the 1st to 3rd?

WIMBOT wrote: »
    Myself & a buddy have booked our tickets for this and cannot wait as I have been wanting to go to this festival for about 3yrs. The line up is shaping up nicely too.

Anyone know what are the dates is the actually Festival running is it 30th - 3rd or just the 1st to 3rd?

The main festival runs from Thursday 31 to Saturday 2.
    May 30 will be a gig off site with around 4 bands, and again on the Sunday, these had a capacity of around 5000 last year, there will also be a closing party on the Sunday night with djs which will run until the early hours

They had a few things in the past on the Monday and Tuesday too but nothing worth coming early for. Anyone there in 2011 and 2010 able to tell me what the changes were last year? Managed to miss it and I feel like I'm completely out of the loop again. I know they moved some of the after concerts to a new location.

The Cure.

Get your self sorted Toast, have a feeling it's going to be an epic festival.

• Advertisement

It is indeed looking pretty epic.

lordgoat wrote: »
    The Cure.

Get your self sorted Toast, have a feeling it's going to be an epic festival.

Oh I've had my tickets since the first early bird sale. I was just wondering how things have changed since I was there last. What is the deal with these drink cards and the like people tell me about?

Toast wrote: »
    Oh I've had my tickets since the first early bird sale. I was just wondering how things have changed since I was there last. What is the deal with these drink cards and the like people tell me about?

Last year it was a disaster, they hoped to make it a cashless festival and everyone would have a debit card thing, but it failed miserably on the first day so it switched to cash.

No idea what the plan is for this year. Best advice as ever get your wristband on the Wed night or head in early on Thurs.

There were loads of irish people over there last year, met a huge bunch of them from twitter. Good times.

Yeah heard it went arseways quickly. They seem to be still trying to use their "portal" for things though as it is mentioned in the mails I get from them a lot. I'll have to try and dig through their forums for some more info but they're in dire need of cleaning up. Half the stickies are from last year.

Yeah heard it went arseways quickly. They seem to be still trying to use their "portal" for things though as it is mentioned in the mails I get from them a lot. I'll have to try and dig through their forums for some more info but they're in dire need of cleaning up. Half the stickies are from last year.

Ask on twitter for any info #ps12 any questions i had last year were sorted fairly quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 WIMBOT

Does anuyone know if it sold out last year and if so when. Already bought my ticket but my friends still need to get theirs.

WIMBOT wrote: »
    Does anuyone know if it sold out last year and if so when. Already bought my ticket but my friends still need to get theirs.

it didnt sell out last year

the full line up,looks pretty good, a few new bands to discover!

A.A. BONDY - A$AP ROCKY - AEROPLANE - THE AFGHAN WHIGS - AFROCUBISM - ANÍMIC - ARAABMUZIK - ARCHERS OF LOAF - ATLAS SOUND - ATLETA - BAXTER DURY - BEACH BEACH - BEACH HOUSE - BEIRUT - BENGA (LIVE) - BIG STAR'S THIRD - BIGOTT - BJÖRK - BLACK LIPS - BLEACHED - BOMBINO - BUFFY SAINTE-MARIE - THE CHAMELEONS - CHAVEZ - CHRISTINA ROSENVINGE - CODEINE - THE CURE - DANNY BROWN - DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE - DEATH GRIPS - DEATH IN VEGAS - DEMDIKE STARE - DIRTY BEACHES - DIRTY THREE - DOBLE PLETINA - DOMINANT LEGS - THE DRUMS - EROL ALKAN - FASENUOVA - FATHER JOHN MISTY - THE FIELD - FIELD MUSIC - FOREST SWORDS - FRANZ FERDINAND - FRIENDS - GIRLS - GIRLS NAMES - GODFLESH - GRIMES - GRUPO DE EXPERTOS SOLYNIEVE - HANNI EL KHATIB - HARVEY MILK - HYPE WILLIAMS - I BREAK HORSES - ICEAGE - JAMES FERRARO - JAPANDROIDS - JEFF MANGUM (NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL) - JEREMY JAY - JOE CREPÚSCULO - JOHN TALABOT LIVE - JOSH T. PEARSON - JUSTICE LIVE - KINGS OF CONVENIENCE - KLEENEX GIRL WONDER - LA ESTRELLA DE DAVID - LAURA MARLING - LEE RANALDO - LISABÖ - LITURGY - LOWER DENS - MAIN - MATÍAS AGUAYO - MAYHEM - MAZZY STAR - MELVINS - MICHAEL GIRA - MILAGRES - MILK MUSIC - MUDHONEY - MUJERES - NACHO VEGAS - NAPALM DEATH - NEON INDIAN - NICK GARRIE PLAYS THE NIGHTMARE OF J.B. STANISLAS - NUMBERS SHOWCASE: JACKMASTER, ONEMAN, DEADBOY, SPENCER, REDINHO - OBITS - OFF! - THE OLIVIA TREMOR CONTROL - ORTHODOX - OTHER LIVES - PEGASVS - PETER WOLF CRIER - PICORE - PIONAL LIVE - THE POP GROUP - THE RAPTURE - REAL ESTATE - REBOLLEDO - REFREE - REFUSED - RICHARD HAWLEY - THE RIGHT ONS - RUFUS WAINWRIGHT - RUSTIE - SANDRO PERRI - SBTRKT - SCUBA - SENIOR I EL COR BRUTAL - SHARON VAN ETTEN - SHELLAC - SISKIYOU - SLEEP - SLEEPY SUN - SPIRITUALIZED - SR. CHINARRO - ST. ETIENNE - TALL FIRS - THEE OH SEES - TRASH TALK - UNICORNIBOT - VERONICA FALLS - THE WAR ON DRUGS - WASHED OUT - WAVVES - THE WEDDING PRESENT PLAYS SEAMONSTERS - WHITE DENIM - WILCO - WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM - THE XX - YANN TIERSEN - YO LA TENGO

I know there'll be plenty of gems in the names I don't know to discover and that's why I like Primavera as a festival but of the names I know on the list I've seen pretty much all of them.. and mostly at previous Primaveras. The running joke of Shellac aside, Yo La Tengo appear to be looking to set up residency as well with possibly their fourth time back. Spiritualized, Beirut, Beach House, Black Lips, Atlas Sound, Dirty Three, The XX, Wavves, Girls, Wilco, Melvins are all on their second if not third times back. Even Rufus is a return visit from not all that long ago.

I'd also hope the headliners reflect the very heavy pricing changes this time around. The Cure and Bjork are good steps there but I am still perplexed as to why festivals continue to pretend Franz Ferdinand are a headline level act. Rufus may qualify but I'd like to see one more band who you'd expect to put 60 euro down for a show in the O2 and there isn't a third name there that is fitting that yet.

On a more positive note really looking forward to the concerts in Arc de Triomf. The old setup was great but a bit too far out. This isn't too far from the main festival grounds and it is a real nice area.

• Advertisement

I know there'll be plenty of gems in the names I don't know to discover and that's why I like Primavera as a festival but of the names I know on the list I've seen pretty much all of them.. and mostly at previous Primaveras. The running joke of Shellac aside, Yo La Tengo appear to be looking to set up residency as well with possibly their fourth time back. Spiritualized, Beirut, Beach House, Black Lips, Atlas Sound, Dirty Three, The XX, Wavves, Girls, Wilco, Melvins are all on their second if not third times back. Even Rufus is a return visit from not all that long ago.

I'd also hope the headliners reflect the very heavy pricing changes this time around. The Cure and Bjork are good steps there but I am still perplexed as to why festivals continue to pretend Franz Ferdinand are a headline level act. Rufus may qualify but I'd like to see one more band who you'd expect to put 60 euro down for a show in the O2 and there isn't a third name there that is fitting that yet.

On a more positive note really looking forward to the concerts in Arc de Triomf. The old setup was great but a bit too far out. This isn't too far from the main festival grounds and it is a real nice area.
    fully agree with you, I was hoping for a few more wild cards in the lineup, at least the new venue for the Wednesday and Sunday gigs is handy to get to, franz ferdinand really are yesterdays men, wonder if they are popular in Spain. A lot of the bands are whelans level bands like war on drugs etc
    The shins or wild flag would have been a great addition, I dont think that €190 represents good value this year, happy I got mine for a lot less.

Advertisement