Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

|Found this hidden away in Malahide castle Demense

Options
  • 11-11-2011 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

what is it? A lime Kiln?

x2_93fc9c2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

FensterDJ wrote: »
    what is it? A lime Kiln?
    Aye, looks like one that was down the road from my grandads in Kerry (except it was built into the side of a hill). It is slightly odd that it's freestanding, as most of the ones that I've seen are part of a bigger building, or in the side of a hill, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

An ice house? There's a similar structure away from the main house in Ard Gillan - http://www.flickr.com/photos/xaphod/3239129193/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im not sure about it being an ice houce, they usually are not as tall. Looks like a kiln to me. If you really want to know it should be on the 19th century OSI maps available on www.archaeology.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If it is in the North West of the grounds next to the Dublin Road it is a kiln.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fazer6

I'd say it's a lime kiln. There's one on south side of Julianstown, Co Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

FensterDJ wrote: »
    what is it? A lime Kiln?

x2_93fc9c2

Lime Kiln

FCC Report on Malahide Demense Conservation Report

[FONT=TrebuchetMS,Bold][FONT=TrebuchetMS,Bold]
    Lime Kiln
    [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=TrebuchetMS,Bold]

[/FONT]
    The 18th century limekiln, used to produce lime by firing limestone drawn from the nearby quarries, is located north of the western entrance in an area marked as a quarry in historic maps. The lime kiln is constructed of rubble stone with an arched brick funnel shaped opening at the bottom and an embankment to its rear with a cylindrical shaft. Though overgrown and poorly maintained, the kiln has great potential to enhance the understanding of the demesne adding the dimension of industrial heritage and demonstrating the less obvious facet of the demesne as an economic unit. Together the lime kiln and brick hole indicate the production of buildings materials on site.

Rest of the Report is here Link, quite a good read actually and some nice maps and paintings over the years of the castle and grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

thanks folks, particularly Corsendonk, cheers

Advertisement