Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seagate Expansion 3TB Desktop Hard Drive - Argos €150

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Have it myself, you get a free 8GB memory stick too!

Took it out of the case and put it in my PC and it works a treat (only on 64bit though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Thats a fantastic price at this stage, a 3tb hdd is 400 euros in maplins as a comparison, prices will probably be high for the next 6 months at least I would guess.

I also have this drive, works fine, not too much else to say about it really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

You also get a €10 voucher back from Argos too, so it'll stand you €140!:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Stock as at 11/11 @18:55

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

hmmm it gets a hammering on amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/SEAGATE-Expansion-Desktop-External-STAY3000100/product-reviews/B004O3EIS4/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_link_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending for load clicking noises and loss of data, I was thinking of just ripping it out of the enclosure and sticking it in a new build i'm doing soon, anyone care to comment on the reliability of it? Also what size cache is in it?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭trevortronics

Hi
    I've bought a couple of these recently. Very nice,they contain a Seagate 3TB Barracuda XT (ST33000651AS) 64mb cache, 7200rpm. Takes less than 2 mins to extract from the casing.Does about 150mb/sec.
    I'm glad I stocked up with 12tb of new goodness before the price hikes. The Pixmania deal recently at £85 for a 3tb Hitachi was even better !

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Good deal, plus there's little purpose in having usb 3 interface on a mechanical hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Forgive me for asking and as someone who just stores music, Photo's what in the name of god would you do with 3 tb's of storage......?

Just out of curiosity.... If someone says for HD Camcorders...is there special requirements the 3 TB drive must have.

Many thanks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Forgive me for asking and as someone who just stores music, Photo's what in the name of god would you do with 3 tb's of storage......?

Just out of curiosity.... If someone says for HD Camcorders...is there special requirements the 3 TB drive must have.

Many thanks....

Movies and TV series. I've over 7tb of video on a home server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Many thanks....
    Going_to_be_a_Fairy_Prawn.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

imitation wrote: »
    a 3tb hdd is 400 euros in maplins as a comparison.....
    you could not have picked a worse comparison in fairness; they are cruel:o

cork45 wrote: »
    Movies and TV series. I've over 7tb of video on a home server.

Cool. So do you record from the sky body directly onto it or do you buy the DVD then download it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Cool. So do you record from the sky body directly onto it or do you buy the DVD then download it...
    It's most likely he/she downloads them from the internet pipes. :D.

daveyjoe wrote: »
    It's most likely he/she downloads them from the internet pipes. :D.

Ah now thats something i dont know how to do legallly....

That maybe why i dont need it yet. - Many thanks for the information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

hmmm it gets a hammering on amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/SEAGATE-Expansion-Desktop-External-STAY3000100/product-reviews/B004O3EIS4/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_link_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending for load clicking noises and loss of data, I was thinking of just ripping it out of the enclosure and sticking it in a new build i'm doing soon, anyone care to comment on the reliability of it? Also what size cache is in it?

Thanks

i have the 1.5TB version of this drive and i have the same problems as described on Amazon. They dont like being left on for long periods of time. It makes the drive heads stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I have the 1TB version here. Would not reccomend it to anyone. The clicking and head getting stuck is annoying but the loss of data every few months is insane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

If you are buying the hard drive to use with a saorview box that can record to USB or any other PVR kit then the odds are it won't work out of the box, as it uses NTFS, while most simple devices expect it to be formatted in the older FAT32. I don't think FAT32 supports the full 3 tb either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

Awful external drive, had the 2tb version and it kept shutting off if left on for too long, ended up taking the drive out and putting it in the pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Have the one terrabyte version on of this, never had issues with data loss at all, however it can be noisy sometimes, but it seems to have stopped doing it when i moved it into a new case after the crappy weak USB port broke in it (though i probably gave it more abuse than a non-portable drive should receive) IMO not awful, not great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Loud clicks, heads getting stuck, loss of data, drive not liking when it's on for long periods of time?? WTF??

Are these issues only present if it is used 'as is', or is it a perfectly fine drive when taken from it's casing and used inside a pc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I took mine out of the so called case last night, very flimsy 'case' not much buffer or sound protection at all, unfortunately you need to prize it out as there are no screws, if you take your time you may salvage for use with another drive but it really is a plastic piece of crap.
    Windows 7 did not recognise it as 3TB in it's preformatted manner so you need to change the settings (I fluted around for a few minutes and being honest forget how I did it).
    In the PC now and no more noisy that other hard drives when waking up and as quiet as others when being used, just a day's experience mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Got one of these yesterday from Argos - tried it quickly and it worked which is ok. Maplin had the 500Gb model for the same price, so six times the storage for the same amount of money.

I'm using it as a backup drive so it wont be on that much and the chance of the computer, backup and offsite backup I have breaking down at once is remote.

Funny enough I didnt get a USB key with mine but I did use the €10 off voucher to immediately buy a new watch. So a bonus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

So maybe the cheap casing and it's connection to the drive is the cause for the problems mentioned.

Re Maplin and their 500GB, haven't bought in there for a very long time for that very reason, their prices can be ridiculously high, and even on the odd day when I might wander in to see if there's anything that interests me, am sometimes baffled how people would spend so much on some of their pc hardware. The internal drives are very pricey, as are the wireless routers etc, oh, and the blank media :confused::D

Advertisement