Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Under the Influence of Jack Daniels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

beeduybe wrote: »
    Sunday 6th December
    12.79 Miles @ 8:27
    Sunday afternoon LSR around Hartstown Park.

Is this the Hartstown Park in Blanch? My buddy lives across the road and I ran there once - it's tiny. Surely you wouldn't manage almost 13 miles in there?

...nah, must be a different park!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

belcarra wrote: »
    Is this the Hartstown Park in Blanch? My buddy lives across the road and I ran there once - it's tiny. Surely you wouldn't manage almost 13 miles in there?

...nah, must be a different park!:pac:

was just thinking the same thing - even googled it to check! Its 3km or something. I'm nearby in Carpenterstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Sunday 6th December
    12.79 Miles @ 8:27
    Sunday afternoon LSR around Hartstown Park.

...nah, must be a different park!:pac:[/QUOTE]

Yep same one. I've been living around there for the last few weeks. It's actually not that bad. 1 lap is about 2 miles and there are so many different paths going off in every direction that I wasn't doing the same loop over and over again. I done a similar length run around the Phoenix Park a few weeks ago and that seemed to drag a lot more.

Monday 7th January
    40 mins on gym bike followed by stretching and some core work.

Tuesday 8th January
    9.39 Miles @ 8:16
    JD Phase 2 Week 2 Q1 Session
    10x400m with 400m recovery
    I knew 1 lap of the football pitches of Sean Moore Park was 800m which was perfect for this session as it meant I was doing the same 400m stretch for each rep and I could ensure an even effort of running with the strong wind as I was running with the wind at my back for about 150m, turning into a 100m sidewind and then turn back into the wind for the last 100m. The last stretch of the last few reps was tough into the breeze but happy to get through the full session.

Splits were:
    96, 94, 94, 94, 94, 92, 92, 94, 96, 97

Wednesday 9th January
    9.23 Miles @ 8:21
    Lunchtime run out to Booterstown.

Thursday 10th January
    5.40 Miles @ 9:15
    Very easy recovery run. Pace started out very slow and didn't feel the need to speed it up.

Friday 11th January
    10.21 Miles @ 7:49 with 40 mins @ 7:14
    JD Phase 2 Week 2 Q2 Session
    40 min run at T pace
    Back to the grass of Sean Moore Park for my second session of the week. Daniels suggests a pace of 7:05 for a 40 min tempo run based on my VDOT but with this session being on grass and the ground being a bit softer than Tuesday I targeted a pace between 7:05 and 7:15. I reckoned it should take about 11 laps so I took it lap by lap and didn't worry about counting down the time. Settled into a nice pace and was maintaining a nice 7:11 average for most of the run but the legs really started to feel heavy for the last 3 laps and this resulted in a slight drop in pace.

Saturday 12th January
    5.15 Miles @ 8:37
    Recovery run...

Sunday 13th January
    13.91 Miles @ 8:27
    LSR which took in part of the Bohermeen HM route. It was raining quite heavily at the start of this one but eased off after a mile or so to a light drizzle.

Month|Miles
    January|101.30
    Total|101.30

Monday 14th January
    40 mins on gym bike followed by stretching and core work.

Tuesday 15th January
    9.39 Miles @ 8:22
    JD Phase 2 Week 3 Q1 Session
    4 x 200m, 2 x 400m, 1 x 800m, 2 x 400m, 4 x 200m equal distance recovery jog

To be honest I don't really remember much about this session at all apart from feeling the 800m recovery was very long. Will have to start getting in the habit of jotting down some notes after these runs for when I go to update the log...

Splits were:
    44, 46, 44, 47
    1:36, 1:36
    3:16
    1:38, 1:38
    45, 44, 45, 44

Wednesday 16th January
    9.06 Miles @ 8:34
    Lunchtime run out by Clontarf. Felt a bit of soreness in the legs before this run but figured they would loosen out after a few miles which they did but then started to feel really heavy about halfway through and the run became a real slog. I'd probably have tried to cut the run short only for it was an out and back route so had no choice but to keep going.

Thursday 17th January

7.94 Miles @ 8:53
    Had originally planned to do this weeks JD Q2 session of 3 x 2 miles @ T pace with 2 min rests but a combination of tiredness, DOMS and the fact I was planning on doing the BHAA XC on Saturday meant I decided to postpone that session to the following week so just went out and done an easy paced run.

Friday 18th January

Rest day. Such was the crappyness of the weather that I decided to abandon my plans for a recovery run as the thoughts of running into a gale force breeze sounded more like a vo2max workout...

Saturday 19th January

10.76 Miles including BHAA 5 Miles XC in 34:54
    With all the rain over the previous few days the course in Cherryfield Park resembled a proper cross country course which was the polar opposite to Tymon Park 2 weeks ago. After a lot of toing and froing in my mind during the warm up about how many layers I should wear I decided to go with only 1 as I knew I would warm up very quick once I got going. The 3 lap course was pretty flat although there was a couple of chokepoints where runners nearly had to queue to get through but the field soon thinned out. I was running alongside a guy for a while who was wearing road runners who was slipping and sliding all over the place. I'd say he had a long race as the course was getting more and more cut up on each lap.

I noticed I went through the first mile in 7:02 so felt sub 35 was an achievable target. My pace remained around 7 min miles for the first two laps and as usual I found myself passing quite a lot of people without trying as they started to struggle and slow down. I had put in a really strong last lap in Tymon but wasn't sure if I'd have it in me today as my legs were really starting to feel heavy at that stage and it felt like I couldn't run any faster than I was doing. I spotted someone up ahead who I had passed near the end the last day but I didn't hold out much hope of catching her today as it just felt like I couldn't run any faster than I was doing. Despite this I was still managing to move up a few places so I just kept digging in and before I knew it I was passing my target and there was still half the lap to go. The rest of the race is a bit of a blur but I do remember feeling rough on the finishing straight and seeing 34:54 when I stopped my watch :) The race really sapped the energy out of my legs and my cool down lap was a real struggle which showed with an average pace of nearly 11 min miles...

Sunday 20th January
    5.43 Miles @ 8:56
    Recovery run. Couldn't fit in an LSR this week so lowest mileage week of the year so far with 42.

Month|Miles
    January|143.88
    Total|143.88

• Advertisement

Super milage! Well done on the race, haven't done a XC yet, it must be a different sort of race - pace goes out the window to a degree.

Super milage! Well done on the race, haven't done a XC yet, it must be a different sort of race - pace goes out the window to a degree.

Yeah XC is more about position than time really so you can relax a bit more and not have to worry about looking at the watch every 5 seconds which can become a bit of a habit sometimes. They can be pretty tough especially when the ground is soft but are great at building up stamina which should benefit me later in the year. I'd say it's my favourite type of race.

Monday 21st January
    8.13 Miles @ 7:54
    A ridiculously cold day to have forgotten a hat and gloves for my lunchtime run so decided to do this run on the treadmill instead. The novelty factor was probably the main reason it didn't really drag at all.

Tuesday 22nd January

9.20 Miles @ 8:15
    JD Phase 2 Week 4 Q1 Session
    4 x (200m + 200m rec jog, 200m + 400m rec jog, 800m + 400m rec jog)

Decided to move this session off the grass this week and onto the path around Ringsend Park as the softer ground that the recent rain has caused was knackering my legs on last weeks session.

I had a feeling it was going to be a interesting session when the snow started coming down on my warm up run to the park. It started getting heavier just as I was about to start the session and I was running straight into it for the first rep but thankfully it cleared up pretty quickly and the sun even made an appearance before the end.

The 800m reps seemed very long in comparison to the 200m and I was glad to be only doing that distance on every 3rd rep. Getting through these sessions pretty well but could be hard to adjust to the shorter recovery times in the next phase of the plan.

Splits:
    41, 43, 3:06
    43, 45, 3:14
    44, 42, 3:15
    45, 45, 3:18

Wednesday 23th January
    5.35 Miles @ 9:04
    Recovery Run. Took it real easy.

Thursday 24th January

7.84 Miles @ 8:47
    JD Q2 Session
    3 x 2 mile at T pace with 2 min rest

Hadn't been feeling too good in the hours leading up to my planned session but decided to go ahead with it anyway as I knew I'd regret it if I felt fine afterwards especially as I had postponed this one last week.

Plan was to try and keep the 2 mile intervals around 7:00 pace which I was doing pretty well at the start of the first one but the longer it progressed the bigger a struggle it became and was really hanging on at the end but felt more like the end of a race to finish with an average pace of 7:01.

The watch beeped to signal the end of the 2 minute recovery and start of the next 2 mile interval. It felt like I had nothing left in the legs for this one and about 0.75 miles in I started to feel a bit dizzy so decided to call a end to the session. Really felt like I was lacking energy on the jog back to work. Turns out I was in the early stages of a bug which struck me down for a few days.

Friday 25th & Saturday 26th January
    Sick days :(

Sunday 27th January
    7.66 Miles @ 8:45
    Feeling much better so ventured out for a few easy miles. Twas windy out there.

Month|Miles
    January|182.05
    Total|182.05

Monday 28th January
    9.18 Miles @ 8:17
    JD Phase 2 Week 5 Q1 Session
    12 x 400m with 400m jog recovery

The weather seemed to take a turn for the worse as soon as I put my foot outside for this run as the sun disappeared and the heavens opened. Twas windy too but not as bad as I had expected going by the weather forecast.

I ran these reps on a 1.13k loop around Ringsend Park so the each rep were on a different stretch of path each time. This meant there was inconsistent effort levels for a particular pace depending on whether the wind was at my back or against me. For the first 6 reps the breeze was relatively calm but there was a noticeable pickup in the wind from here on which seemed to get worse and worse and on the 11th rep it felt like I was almost running backwards such was its strength. It was monsoon like for the final rep but luckily I was relatively well sheltered from the elements on this stretch. Finished up with almost all of my 1.5 mile cooldown into the gale force wind and rain :(

The big difference in some of the splits show how much the wind affected my pace:
    94, 91, 92,
    87, 91, 91,
    94, 93, 94,
    87, 97, 91

Month|Miles
    January|191.23
    Total|191.23

great session that, especially in the wind - how'd you find the 400m recovery? Too slow or just right??
    I done 12x400 recently and had 200m recovery - in reality the later reps were done off a very very slow 200m :-)

Also - how are you finding the Daniels program so far - I'm going to start a 10k plan soon - thinking of Daniels, but will need to jump right into phase 2 - did you get benefit from doing phase 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

great session that, especially in the wind

+1 Great run in that weather. I was looking out and saying to myself not a chance would I go out in that!

great session that, especially in the wind - how'd you find the 400m recovery? Too slow or just right??
    I done 12x400 recently and had 200m recovery - in reality the later reps were done off a very very slow 200m :-)

Also - how are you finding the Daniels program so far - I'm going to start a 10k plan soon - thinking of Daniels, but will need to jump right into phase 2 - did you get benefit from doing phase 1?

The 400m recovery is good as you can go almost flat out and have enough time to recover for a similar effort the next time whereas if I done that with a shorter recovery I'd probably find myself getting slower and tired more quickly. Daniels encourages the long recovery jogs in this phase in order to practice good running form before the next phase which introduces longer intervals with short recoveries. The recovery can seem a bit long at times but there is a purpose to it so I'm not going to disagree with Daniels :)

Finding the Daniels program good so far. 2 sessions a week can be pretty tough but I do think it will benefit me in the long run. I found Phase 1 beneficial for me for a few reasons:
    • It allowed me to recover from the marathon by maintaining my mileage with just runs at an easy pace.
    • I didn't have to increase my mileage to include the quality sessions when I started Phase 2
    • Starting Phase 2 in early January meant the plan would peak in April/May where there would be a good selection of races and (probably!) more favourable weather.
    Phase 1 would be a step back for you considering you are already doing some speed work but it worked well for me because I could afford to do it at the time I did it.
    blockic wrote: »
    +1 Great run in that weather. I was looking out and saying to myself not a chance would I go out in that!

It's never as bad as it seems once you get out there. Ye were both racing Sunday in similar conditions so I think you deserved the rest :D

ahem.......I ran yesterday.....

ahem.......I ran yesterday.....

My deepest apologies your majesty. How could I ever doubt the all powerful Running King :D

My deepest apologies your majesty. How could I ever doubt the all powerful Running King :D

I must ask you to talk to my wife :)
    The 400m recovery is good as you can go almost flat out and have enough time to recover for a similar effort the next time whereas if I done that with a shorter recovery I'd probably find myself getting slower and tired more quickly. Daniels encourages the long recovery jogs in this phase in order to practice good running form before the next phase which introduces longer intervals with short recoveries.

Makes perfect sense when you get the science behind it.
    Think my next plan will be a mix of Daniels and a 10k plan from Running Planet. Its also a double session plan, but I'll be tweaking it, I'll be using Daniels pacing and may look at some different hill work.

thanks!

Tuesday 29th January
    5.02 Miles @ 8:51
    Recovery Run. A mix of road and grass.

Wednesday 30th January
    9.09 Miles @ 8:05
    JD Phase 2 Week 5 Q2 Session
    15min T, 3min E, 10min T, 2min E, 5min T
    After having to abandon last weeks tempo run early I definitely didn't want to be looking for excuses not to do this weeks interval type threshold session so despite the wind being even stronger than on Monday I made my way back down to Ringsend Park for this one. On a calm day I'd hope to hit around 6:50ish on the tempo sections but today I wasn't sure what to expect. I reckoned I'd cover pretty much exactly a lap in 5 mins at T pace so that made it easy to calculate whereabouts I'd finish at the end of each threshold section.

First tempo interval started off well and as I started with the wind behind me I hit about 6:45 pace pretty quickly. The turn into the wind was a different story altogether and over the course of the 3 laps this stretch got harder and harder and really sapped the energy out of me but somehow I managed to finish with an average pace of 6:51.

After 3 mins of easy running, I started the 10 minute interval with a nice long stretch into the wind which absolutely killed me and I never really recovered from that to finish with an average pace of 7:11.

Third section pretty much followed the same pattern as any gains made with the wind were well and truly lost when running against it. Average Pace 7:12.

In retrospect I probably would have been better doing this session on the treadmill but still happy to get it done and out of the way.

Month|Miles
    January|205.34
    Total|205.34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good tempo running in that wind beeduybe, we must be just a week out from each other in the plan now as I did that session last Sunday. Looking forward to starting phase 3, seems to be where the real 5-10k work starts, lots of 1k-1 mile repeat at race pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Tuesday 29th January
    5.02 Miles @ 8:51
    Recovery Run. A mix of road and grass.

Wednesday 30th January
    9.09 Miles @ 8:05
    JD Phase 2 Week 5 Q2 Session
    15min T, 3min E, 10min T, 2min E, 5min T
    After having to abandon last weeks tempo run early I definitely didn't want to be looking for excuses not to do this weeks interval type threshold session so despite the wind being even stronger than on Monday I made my way back down to Ringsend Park for this one. On a calm day I'd hope to hit around 6:50ish on the tempo sections but today I wasn't sure what to expect. I reckoned I'd cover pretty much exactly a lap in 5 mins at T pace so that made it easy to calculate whereabouts I'd finish at the end of each threshold section.

First tempo interval started off well and as I started with the wind behind me I hit about 6:45 pace pretty quickly. The turn into the wind was a different story altogether and over the course of the 3 laps this stretch got harder and harder and really sapped the energy out of me but somehow I managed to finish with an average pace of 6:51.

After 3 mins of easy running, I started the 10 minute interval with a nice long stretch into the wind which absolutely killed me and I never really recovered from that to finish with an average pace of 7:11.

Third section pretty much followed the same pattern as any gains made with the wind were well and truly lost when running against it. Average Pace 7:12.

In retrospect I probably would have been better doing this session on the treadmill but still happy to get it done and out of the way.

Month|Miles
    January|205.34
    Total|205.34

For ur 40 min tempo do u add on 15 secs to the suggested time in the vdot table. Just saw that section in the book.

For ur 40 min tempo do u add on 15 secs to the suggested time in the vdot table. Just saw that section in the book.

Yeah I add 15 secs per mile or whatever is suggested for the amount of time for that particular run in the book. If its cruise intervals I try and stick to the recommended T pace for my Vdot. I ran the first few tempo runs of the plan on grass so adjusted the target pace a bit to a slower pace as I would have to work harder to hit the recommended pace.

Thursday 31st January
    Rest day.

Friday 1st February
    8.09 Miles @ 9:07
    Easy recovery run mostly around the grass in Ringsend Park.

Saturday 2nd February
    9.56 Miles @ 8:31
    JD Phase 2 Week 5 Q3 Session
    6 x (2min hard, 1min jog, 1min hard, 30sec jog, 30sec hard, 30sec jog)
    Had originally planned to race the BHAA XC but with it being cancelled I decided to do this weeks Q3 session instead. It was pretty cold but thankfully the wind seemed to have died down considerably since earlier in the week. Pace was pretty consistent throughout with an average of about 6:25 mile pace.

Sunday 3rd February
    13.99 Miles @ 8:34
    Visiting relations in Cavan for the weekend so it gave me the opportunity to check out the local scenery on this weeks LSR. Found a 14 mile route on MapMyRun so uploaded it to my Garmin. This turned out to be an even more undulating route than it looked which wasn't ideal considering my lack of recent hill work. My quads were screaming at me for the last 4 or 5 miles but managed to get through it in one piece.

Monday 4th February
    Cross-training day. 40 mins on gym bike followed by some core work.

Month|Miles
    February|31.74
    Total|237.08

• Advertisement

Tuesday 5th February
    8.48 Miles @ 8:13
    JD Phase 2 Week 6 Q1 Session
    4 x (200m with 200m rec jog, 200m with 400m rec jog, 800m with 400m rec jog)
    Motivation wasn't particularly high for another session in the wind but headed down to Ringsend Park for this one.

Had the workout set up on the watch beforehand so was just a case of reacting to the beeps. Had it in my head that the second rep in each set was 400m and not 200m so was surprised when the watch beeped so early. Thought I must have entered the distance wrong but decided to keep it as it was as it was too messy to start changing the session now. Lucky I did as when I looked at the book again later it told me I had it right all along.

It wasn't planned but I somehow managed to avoid the worst of the headwind on most of the reps as I mostly passed this point on the recoveries. Pretty happy with the pace of the splits.

Splits:
    41, 42, 3:12
    44, 44, 3:10
    43, 45, 3:07
    42, 45, 3:08

Interestingly I just noticed Garmin Connect now shows a weather report for each run. 25mph wind :eek:

Wednesday 6th February
    6.10 Miles @ 8:47
    Recovery pace run.

Thursday 7th February
    9.78 Miles @ 7:36
    JD Phase 2 Week 6 Q2 Session
    45 min Tempo run
    The strong wind had disappeared for todays session only to be replaced by lashing rain :rolleyes: Rain is the lesser of the two evils though as it meant I might actually hold a consistent pace for the tempo run.

My Vdot suggests a pace of about 7min miles for a 45 min tempo so that was the target pace. I calculated that this should equal 6.43 miles or about 9.5 laps of Ringsend Park.

I just took it one lap at a time and a glance at the watch every once in a while showed the average pace was settling between 6:55 and 6:58 which was perfect. The effort felt comfortably hard and it was only in the last 1.5 laps that I really started to feel that I was just hanging in there and was relieved to hear the watch beep to bring the 45 mins to an end.

Summary: 6.44 Miles in 45:00. Average Pace 6:59.

So I've managed to survive Phase 2 of the plan. Phase 3 starts next week which should be a bit of a step up with the introduction of the longer I paced intervals with shorter recoveries.

Month|Miles
    February|56.10
    Total|261.45

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great Training going on there B. You'll be flying come the summer!!

That's great running this week, well done.

Friday 8th February
    8.15 Miles @ 8:58
    Just an easy run mostly on grass.

Saturday 9th February
    14.20 Miles @ 8:34
    Early morning LSR around the Phoenix Park also taking in some of Chapelizod and the War Memorial Park. Legs really started to feel heavy towards the end of the run and felt like I was carrying two concrete blocks on my feet for the last few miles. I knew my pace was dropping so just tried to up my intensity and managed to increase the pace a bit knowing I was nearly finished. Haven't felt like that on a run since the Dublin half in September. Could be a sign that all the recent sessions are catching up with me.

Sunday 10th February
    5.19 Miles @ 8:45
    Recovery run. Legs felt very tight and stiff for the first couple of miles but loosened out a lot as the run progressed.

Month|Miles
    February|83.64
    Total|288.98

Monday 11th February
    8.89 Miles @ 8:13
    JD Phase 3 Week 1 Q1 Session
    5 x 1200m with 3 min rec jog

This was a pretty tough introduction to Phase 3. The intervals were longer and the recoveries much shorter than the rep workouts in Phase 2. Plan was to try and complete each interval in about 4:48 (6:25 mile pace) which is bang on 40min 10k pace.

I felt too fresh on the first one and despite encountering a few wayward dogs I went a good bit faster than planned (4:41). The second and third intervals where pretty much bang on pace (4:48, 4:47). The lactic acid really started to build up in the last two reps and despite the fact it felt like I was working harder than before my pace dropped even more (4:55, 4:58).

In hindsight I should have held back a bit on the first interval as I paid for it in the last two. I think I've became too familiar with the long recoveries during the rep workouts in Phase 2 and started out as if I was running one of those sessions again.

Splits(Pace)
    4:41(6:15)
    4:48(6:24)
    4:47(6:23)
    4:55(6:33)
    4:58(6:38)

Tuesday 12th February
    6.13 Miles @ 8:54
    Easy lunchtime run.

Wednesday 13th February
    7.15 Miles @ 8:22
    JD Phase 3 Week 1 Q2 Session
    3 x 12mins at T pace with 2 min rests

A bit of a disaster of a session this one. I knew my legs hadn't fully recovered from Monday's session but since this was the only day I'd be able to do the Q2 session I decided to give it a go. Plan was to try and keep each 12 minute interval around 6:45 pace. Started off ok but within a minute one of my laces came undone and I didn't want to stop so kept on going. By the end of the first interval I was absolutely knackered and my legs were feeling really heavy like the end of Saturday's LSR. I remember reading in JD's book that sometimes it is good to switch a tempo pace run with a marathon pace run so decided to try and finish the last 2 intervals at M pace which is around 7:11 according to my Vdot. The legs were dead and I could only manage a pace of 7:16 so decided to end the session there and just run a few easy miles. Luckily I had an appointment booked with the physio so perfect timing to try and loosen things out. A couple of rest/easy days coming up.

Month|Miles
    February|105.81
    Total|311.15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Monday 11th February
    8.89 Miles @ 8:13
    JD Phase 3 Week 1 Q1 Session
    5 x 1200m with 3 min rec jog

This was a pretty tough introduction to Phase 3. The intervals were longer and the recoveries much shorter than the rep workouts in Phase 2. Plan was to try and complete each interval in about 4:48 (6:25 mile pace) which is bang on 40min 10k pace.

I felt too fresh on the first one and despite encountering a few wayward dogs I went a good bit faster than planned (4:41). The second and third intervals where pretty much bang on pace (4:48, 4:47). The lactic acid really started to build up in the last two reps and despite the fact it felt like I was working harder than before my pace dropped even more (4:55, 4:58).

In hindsight I should have held back a bit on the first interval as I paid for it in the last two. I think I've became too familiar with the long recoveries during the rep workouts in Phase 2 and started out as if I was running one of those sessions again.

Splits(Pace)
    4:41(6:15)
    4:48(6:24)
    4:47(6:23)
    4:55(6:33)
    4:58(6:38)

Tuesday 12th February
    6.13 Miles @ 8:54
    Easy lunchtime run.

Wednesday 13th February
    7.15 Miles @ 8:22
    JD Phase 3 Week 1 Q2 Session
    3 x 12mins at T pace with 2 min rests

A bit of a disaster of a session this one. I knew my legs hadn't fully recovered from Monday's session but since this was the only day I'd be able to do the Q2 session I decided to give it a go. Plan was to try and keep each 12 minute interval around 6:45 pace. Started off ok but within a minute one of my laces came undone and I didn't want to stop so kept on going. By the end of the first interval I was absolutely knackered and my legs were feeling really heavy like the end of Saturday's LSR. I remember reading in JD's book that sometimes it is good to switch a tempo pace run with a marathon pace run so decided to try and finish the last 2 intervals at M pace which is around 7:11 according to my Vdot. The legs were dead and I could only manage a pace of 7:16 so decided to end the session there and just run a few easy miles. Luckily I had an appointment booked with the physio so perfect timing to try and loosen things out. A couple of rest/easy days coming up.

Month|Miles
    February|105.81
    Total|311.15

By any chance are your targets just a bit too fast at this point in training? Keep an eye on it for next week and if you still have trouble keeping pace maybe better off just easing back a touch until you nail them and move onwards again?
    (Obviously there were mitigating circumstances for both Q sessions this week so it may well all be back to plan next week regardless.)

By any chance are your targets just a bit too fast at this point in training? Keep an eye on it for next week and if you still have trouble keeping pace maybe better off just easing back a touch until you nail them and move onwards again?
    [SIZE="1"](Obviously there were mitigating circumstances for both Q sessions this week so it may well all be back to plan next week regardless.)[/SIZE]

You could be right but the target pace is in line with what Daniels recommends. I have a feeling I could just be a bit knackered but I'll see how the next few weeks go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You could be right but the target pace is in line with what Daniels recommends. I have a feeling I could just be a bit knackered but I'll see how the next few weeks go.

Hi;

I found when i did 3 sessions in 1 week, which also had a long run in it, to be totally wrecked and felt like something would give.

So ecoli gave me a copy of notes from hadleys training book(can forward them on if u like) and he recommends spreading session over 9 days as you get older( I am 36). This is what i am currently doing and feel my body is reacting better to it.

So for my last 3 quality sessions it went like this:
    Mon 12 miles @easy pace
    Tues Q1 session
    Wed Easy session 5-6 miles
    Thursday Easy session 5-6 miles
    Friday Q2 session
    Sat Easy session 5-6 miles
    Sun Rest
    Mon Q3 session.

This could be wrong what i am doing but i will learn from it if it is.

Might help u, i am sure others are more wise in this area.

Hi;

I found when i did 3 sessions in 1 week, which also had a long run in it, to be totally wrecked and felt like something would give.

So ecoli gave me a copy of notes from hadleys training book(can forward them on if u like) and he recommends spreading session over 9 days as you get older( I am 36). This is what i am currently doing and feel my body is reacting better to it.

So for my last 3 quality sessions it went like this:
    Mon 12 miles @easy pace
    Tues Q1 session
    Wed Easy session 5-6 miles
    Thursday Easy session 5-6 miles
    Friday Q2 session
    Sat Easy session 5-6 miles
    Sun Rest
    Mon Q3 session.

This could be wrong what i am doing but i will learn from it if it is.

Might help u, i am sure others are more wise in this area.

It's my first time following a plan with 2 or 3 sessions a week plus a long run in it so I'd say its just starting to catch up on me. Spreading it out over a few extra days could be a good solution. Can you forward on those notes please? I've sent you a pm.

• Advertisement

Thursday 14th February
    Rest day.

Friday 15th February
    5.42 Miles @ 9:00
    My legs were so stiff at the start of this run that it felt like I hadn't ran in months but gradually settled into it.

Saturday 16th February
    7.95 Miles including BHAA Garda 4 Miles XC in 29:00
    Wore road runners for my warm up lap beforehand but the course conditions were so bad in places that I was nearly quicker walking as I kept slipping through through the mud. Quickly stuck on the spikes for the race and headed down to the start line for the 4 mile course which consisted of 1 short lap and 2 bigger ones.

The hooter went off and I quickly moved to to the right hand side of the field where I noticed the ground was looking a little greener. We soon turned a corner and went straight into a few big mucky puddles before a downhill stretch followed by an immediately going back uphill which consisted pretty much entirely of ankle deep mud. One guy running just in front of me took a fall going downhill and made a full 360 degree slide across the mud so had to jump out of the way to avoid a collision. A quick look to make sure he was ok and I continued on.

I made up a few positions over the next couple of laps but the ground conditions and the up and down nature of the course were taking a lot out of me and I was too happy to sit in a group on a narrow stretch of the second lap where looking back now I really should have pushed on. The last lap was pretty uneventful apart from the fact I lost my shoe in a particularly deep stretch of mud and lost a couple of seconds having to stop and put it back on. The finishing straight was a bit more crowded than usual as I found myself crossing the line at the same time as 5 or 6 others in a time of 29:00. Can't remember running a harder cross country than today and I've run quite a few.

Month|Miles
    February|119.18
    Total|324.52

Advertisement