Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Under the Influence of Jack Daniels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good stuff today. Ran myself in the Garda XC too. Tough old race it was alright and that was my first XC in about 25 yrs! Really enjoyed it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Sunday 17th February
    6.27 Miles @ 8:52
    Recovery pace run. Had hoped to run a bit longer but time was against me.

Monday 18th February
    9.16 Miles @ 7:52
    One of those runs where I felt pretty fantastic and everything fell into place. Even the sun was shining :)

Tuesday 19th February
    8.47 Miles @ 7:45
    JD Phase 3, Week 2, Q1 Session
    5 x 1200m with 4 min rec jog

The JD plan had me down to do this session for the second week in a row. This session appears in the plan as 'Sets of 4 to 5 min hard (or 1200m or 1 mile) I pace with 3 to 4 min recovery jogs'. Last week I took that to mean 3 min recovery for 1200m and 4 mins for a mile. However having read through the section on interval paced running in the book apparently the amount of recovery you should take between repeated runs in an interval session should be equal to, or a little less than, the time spent performing the preceding workout so last weeks recovery of 3 minutes for an interval lasting 4:40-4:50 minutes would have been considered a bit short so extended it to 4 minutes.

Conscious of the fact I probably took off too fast on the first interval last week I made an effort to relax a bit more and settle into the right pace. This, as well as the longer recovery made this session so much easier than the week before as I actually managed relatively consistent splits.

Splits|Pace
    4:52|6:29
    4:49|6:26
    4:45|6:19
    4:51|6:27
    4:48|6:24

Wednesday 20th February
    Cross training day. 40 minutes on exercise bike and some core work.

Thursday 21st February
    6.02 Miles @ 8:50
    Easy run at recovery pace.

Friday 22nd February
    9.23 Miles @ 7:32
    JD Phase 3, Week 2, Q2 Session
    40 minute tempo run

Was a bit windier than I would have liked for this but decided to go ahead and give it a go anyway. My Vdot suggested a pace of 6:57 but given the breeze decided that I'd be happy to hit around 7:00 which is about 5.71 miles or about 8 and a quarter laps of Ringsend Park. Average pace on the first lap was around 7:00 so was happy with that but was surprised to see 6:52 on the second lap without upping my effort. Pace stayed in and around 6:55-6:58 range for the rest of the tempo and despite struggling a bit into the wind over the last few laps managed to stay on pace to complete the 40 mins.

Summary: 5.74 Miles in 40:00. Average Pace 6:58.

Saturday 23rd February

7.56 Miles @ 8:32
    Nice afternoon stroll.

Month|Miles
    February|165.90
    Total|371.24

Decided to split week 3 of Phase 3 into 2 weeks to allow for a taper and recovery for the Bohermeen half marathon on Sunday. Not too much to report, mainly just some easy running.

Sunday 24th February
    11.48 Miles @ 8:20
    Longish progression run around the Phoenix Park finishing with around 8 minute miles.

Monday 25th February
    5.30 Miles @ 8:29

Tuesday 26th February
    8.10 Miles @ 8:42

Wednesday 27th February
    6.97 Miles @ 7:42
    JD Phase 3, Week 2, Q2 Session
    2 x 10 mins at Tempo (PHMP) pace with 2 min rest

Had planned on doing this weeks Q2 session as a HM paced run. Realised I needed the bathroom on my warm up so had to make a detour and by the time I was able to start the session I didn't have time for my planned three sets of 10 mins so decided to just do 2 instead. Target pace was 6:50 so happy with my average pace of 6:51 and 6:47.

Thursday 28th February
    Rest day.

Friday 1st March
    5.15 Miles @ 8:33

Saturday 2nd March
    5.12 Miles @ 8:44

Month|Miles
    January|205.34
    February|197.75
    March|10.27
    Total|413.36

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck tomorrow beeduybe, get in with the 90 minute pacers and don't give an inch, you're well capable of breaking 90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

Great performance yesterday, the sky's the limit sub 90, well done.

• Advertisement

Meath Spring Half Marathon
    Despite a half marathon not really fitting into my training plan I decided to fit this into my schedule because it was a localish race for me and after a disappointing 1:34 in my last half in September I had a point to prove to myself. Despite not being 100% convinced I'd be able to hold the pace for the entire distance I set myself a target of sub 1:30 which would be around 6:50 per mile.

It was announced before the start that the sub 1:30 pacers would have a yellow balloon but I couldn't see the balloon anywhere when I lined up so wandered a little bit too far back and by the time the balloon appeared there was too many people in the way so said I'd try and make my way towards it once the race started. After a small bit of weaving around slower runners and a brief hello to Belcarra, I was right up with the pace group by the 1 mile marker. As there only seemed to be one pacer I guessed this was TRR and introduced myself to him and also got talking with Marthastew who was in the group too. Spent the first half of the race in and around the pace group and I was never more than 5 seconds behind the balloon. It was probably just my imagination but my legs were feeling a bit heavier than I would have liked but the breathing was good so I took this as a good sign.

The stretch from miles 7-10 saw the pace group beginning to pull away and I was really starting to struggle but I knew I was still on pace and I had a small bit of time on them having crossed the start line a bit later. MS had slowed to take a gel and fell off the back of the group so she, and another guy in a Crusaders vest (Mr stew?) were a good target for me to focus on as they were going along at the same pace as me so despite not closing the gap I was making good progress and even passing the odd person too. A look at the watch at the 10 mile marker showed a minute PB of around 68 mins which surprised me a little at the time but if I’d thought about it beforehand I would have had to be running that pace to go sub 90 anyway. I was really starting to reach into my HTFU reserves here to keep going but it helped we were on a straight stretch of road so I could see MS ahead and the balloon a little bit further on so kept telling myself to keep both in sight until I got over the final hill.

The hill was significantly harder to conquer the second time around but when I reached the top of it with the balloon still in touching distance and with about a mile to go I knew it was time to up the gears and just concentrate on chasing it down. MS powered on and with about half a mile to go I was level with TRR and with the rest of the group gone it was just the two of us running towards the final stretch. I wasn't sure whether I was matching his pace or he was matching mine but it was good to have the company at this stage. I pulled away from him on the finishing straight and even managed to pass another runner but it wasn't until I seen the low 1:29's on the clock at the finish was I sure I was going to hit my target and ended up crossing the line in a watch and chip time of 1:29:09 :D

It was the first time I'd ever ran with or followed a pacer as my target times always seem to be between two pace groups but it's good to be able to have a target up ahead who you know is going to maintain an even pace the whole way around so thanks to TRR for being that target. Also thanks to Marthastew for dragging me through some rough spells in the last few miles even if she didn't know anything about it. I predict a big PB in London.

Nice to meet a few boardsies after the race, some familiar ones and a few new ones too. Well done on some great times and best of luck in your upcoming target races.

Interestingly McMillan is now predicting a 10k time of 39:59 based on this performance...

Month|Miles
    March|25.53
    Total|428.62

AJAYC wrote: »
    Great performance yesterday, the sky's the limit sub 90, well done.

Cheers AJ. Well done on your PB too.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Great run. Congrats on the sub 90. The Daniels sessions are definitely paying off.

Whats the plan for the rest of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great run - well done on the PB!!

Great run. Congrats on the sub 90. The Daniels sessions are definitely paying off.

Whats the plan for the rest of the year?

Thanks, the tempo runs in the Daniels plan definitely provide great mental and physical benefits which come in handy when you really have to dig in during a race.

Going to continue with the Daniels plan until May, hoping to take some big chunks off my 5k - 10k times. Have first baby on the way in June so not really sure what to expect from then on in but I'll more than likely give Dublin another bash in October but that's a good while away yet.

Best of luck with your recovery. Chicago will be a good goal to work towards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

super running - piling the pressure on all us guys without a sub 1:30!!

I'd say sub 40 10k is no problem to you - sure its less than half the distance!! :)

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Great run - well done on the PB!!

Cheers. Well done on your sub 20. You obviously have some decent speed running those times with relatively low mileage.

super running - piling the pressure on all us guys without a sub 1:30!!

I'd say sub 40 10k is no problem to you - sure its less than half the distance!! :)

Haha when you put it like that you make it seem so easy :) After your 5k last week I'll be expecting sub 39 in your next 10k :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Nice to meet you yesterday beeduybe. Great racing too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

beeduybe wrote: »
    Cheers. Well done on your sub 20. You obviously have some decent speed running those times with relatively low mileage.

Cheers, it's needs must for the moment by this phase was always about building a base (injury free) and then pushing on. Have a 3 month old so getting more sleep and time to train - will be an increase in mileage for my attempt at kclub 10k..

Been reading with interest the Jack Daniels work you have been doing - will have to work into my plan but just concerned that I don't have the base mileage yet.. might try a few and play it by ear.

blockic wrote: »
    Nice to meet you yesterday beeduybe. Great racing too!

Cheers, great to meet you too. Super running for someone who only started nine months ago. Sub 3 is definitely on the cards in Rotterdam.
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Cheers, it's needs must for the moment by this phase was always about building a base (injury free) and then pushing on. Have a 3 month old so getting more sleep and time to train - will be an increase in mileage for my attempt at kclub 10k..

Been reading with interest the Jack Daniels work you have been doing - will have to work into my plan but just concerned that I don't have the base mileage yet.. might try a few and play it by ear.

The Daniels sessions can be quite intense so you definitely wouldn't want to jump straight into them. Most of my runs over November and December were easy with no speed work which really allowed me to hit the ground running when starting the sessions and remain injury free. I'm planning on trying to crack sub 40 at the K Club too so might see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done beeduybe, plenty more there as well I'd say. Sub 40 10k will be no prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Well done on a great race, feels great when everything goes to plan. Congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Really enjoyed your report, congrats on a super PB.

Reading the part about you keeping me and TRR and his crew in your sights reminded me of another reason why I love racing so much; a great example of how we are all pushing ourselves that little bit harder because we are surrounded by people. It's almost like a chain reaction that starts with Gary O'Hanlon and ends when the last person crosses the finish line:)
    Congrats again looking forward to racing with you again in the future

Marthastew wrote: »
    Really enjoyed your report, congrats on a super PB.

Reading the part about you keeping me and TRR and his crew in your sights reminded me of another reason why I love racing so much; a great example of how we are all pushing ourselves that little bit harder because we are surrounded by people. It's almost like a chain reaction that starts with Gary O'Hanlon and ends when the last person crosses the finish line:)
    Congrats again looking forward to racing with you again in the future

Thanks, yeah there is definitely something special about a race where you can find extra gears when the going gets tough. It helped that all of the sub 90 group were running strongly over the last few miles so I had to keep working hard to try and catch them. Well done on your great progress over the last year. Looking forward to seeing how you get on in London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the PB and great race report!..fun and games in June, enjoy;)

Nothing too exciting to report since Bohermeen. Legs were very stiff and sore for most of the week so decided to take it easy and give them a chance to recover.

Brief summary:

Monday 4th March
    5.23 Miles @ 8:45

Tuesday 5th March
    5.11 Miles @ 8:38

Wednesday 6th March
    7.79 Miles @ 8:29

Thursday 7th March
    Cross training day. 40 minutes on exercise bike followed by some core work.

Friday 8th March
    9.13 Miles @ 7:57

Saturday 9th March
    8.56 Miles @ 8:20 (including BHAA XC 3.86 Miles @ 7:18)
    Ran the BHAA XC race in Maynooth as a Steady State Run. Probably should have have ran this a bit quicker but got sucked into a group and as I didn't want to get involved in a race I wasn't motivated enough to push on. Turned out well though as I was perfectly placed to see smmoore powering down the home straight on his way to a great victory just before I started my final lap.

Sunday 10th March
    5.35 Miles @ 8:27

Monday 11th March
    7.60 Miles @ 7:54
    Had planned a session but having seen the heavy falling snow and how ridiculously windy it was decided it was best to postpone it until Tuesday where the forecast was more favourable. Hit the treadmill instead for an hour.

Month|Miles
    March|74.30
    Total|477.39

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

No rest day after a fiercely impressive half, remarkable dedication.

AJAYC wrote: »
    No rest day after a fiercely impressive half, remarkable dedication.

I'd seize up if i stopped running for a day :pac:

Tuesday 12th March
    8.86 Miles @ 7:46
    JD Phase 3, Week 4, Q1 Session
    3 x 1200m with 4 min rec jog & 3 x 800m with 2 min rec jog

The decision to switch this session from yesterday to today proved to be a good one as the weather was much move favourable and even the sun came out. Settled into the 1200's quite well and managed to keep them all at sub 40 10k pace. I think I may have subconsciously took the foot off the gas a little bit here thinking the worst of the session was over and slowed a tad on the 800's which actually turned out to be harder because of the shorter recovery and the way the route turned out I only seemed to be running with a tailwind on the recoveries.

Splits|Pace
    4:40|6:14
    4:44|6:19
    4:45|6:21
    3:14|6:29
    3:13|6:26
    3:14|6:29

Month|Miles
    March|83.16
    Total|486.25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

beeduybe wrote: »
    Nothing too exciting to report since Bohermeen. Legs were very stiff and sore for most of the week so decided to take it easy and give them a chance to recover.

Brief summary:

Monday 4th March
    5.23 Miles @ 8:45

Tuesday 5th March
    5.11 Miles @ 8:38

Wednesday 6th March
    7.79 Miles @ 8:29

Thursday 7th March
    Cross training day. 40 minutes on exercise bike followed by some core work.

Friday 8th March
    9.13 Miles @ 7:57

Saturday 9th March
    8.56 Miles @ 8:20 (including BHAA XC 3.86 Miles @ 7:18)
    Ran the BHAA XC race in Maynooth as a Steady State Run. Probably should have have ran this a bit quicker but got sucked into a group and as I didn't want to get involved in a race I wasn't motivated enough to push on. Turned out well though as I was perfectly placed to see smmoore powering down the home straight on his way to a great victory just before I started my final lap.

Sunday 10th March
    5.35 Miles @ 8:27

Monday 11th March
    7.60 Miles @ 7:54
    Had planned a session but having seen the heavy falling snow and how ridiculously windy it was decided it was best to postpone it until Tuesday where the forecast was more favourable. Hit the treadmill instead for an hour.

Month|Miles
    March|74.30
    Total|477.39

That's a easy week:eek:

I long for the day when that might resemble an easy week. Good stuff.

Wednesday 13th March
    4.99 Miles @ 8:22
    Pace was a bit faster than usual for a recovery run but the effort was easy and the heart rate stayed low.

Thursday 14th March
    7.46 Miles @ 8:36
    Another easy run, mostly on grass.

Friday 15th March
    8.61 Miles @ 7:27
    JD Phase 3, Week 4, Q2 Session
    15 min T, 3 min E, 10 min T, 2 min E, 5 min T

Plan was to try and keep the tempo sections between 6:40 and 6:45 pace. Went out a bit too hard at the start of the first one but didn't take long to settle into the right pace and was happy with the consistency of the session.

Mins|Distance|Pace
    15|2.25|6:39
    10|1.49|6:43
    5|0.74|6:43

Saturday 16th March
    5.41 Miles @ 8:32

Sunday 17th March
    14.16 Miles @ 8:20
    Early morning Paddy's day run around the Phoenix Park in a spring snowstorm :eek:

Monday 18th March
    4.45 Miles @ 8:13

Month|Miles
    March|130.14
    Total|533.23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Probably passed me in the park on Paddys day!

Probably passed me in the park on Paddys day!

It's good to know I wasn't the only lunatic that braved the weather :-)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 20th March
    8.89 Miles @ 8:00
    JD Phase 3, Week 5, Q1 Session
    4 x 1200m with 4 min recovery

This run was unusual for two reasons. It was my first time ever running at 1) 7am and 2) On an empty stomach

With a busy schedule on Wednesday I knew there was a good chance I was not going to get this session done so had the brainwave late on Tuesday night to do it at the crack of dawn the following morning.

I'd usually eat something a few hours before any of my runs but as as I hadn't planned for this I was in two minds whether to eat anything beforehand so I decided to try and do the session on an empty stomach.

Didn't notice anything too amiss on the warm up but once I started into the intervals my body went into a state of shock at being called into action so early and refused to co-operate with the plan. Immediately I was struggling and just didn't have the energy to hit my usual pace and gradually got slower and slower and by the 4th interval I had slowed to tempo pace so decided to shelve the last one and just run a few easy miles to finish up instead.

In retrospect doing a tough interval session as my first experiment with early morning, empty stomach running was a bad idea and ideally I should have built up to it with some easy paced runs in those conditions first. Looks like I'll have to some more early morning runs in the future so will have some more chances to experiment. Still not sure about how to approach the nutrition side of things but maybe eating something like a banana beforehand could make a big difference.

All in all still happy to get in almost 9 miles before 9am even if it wasn't the confidence booster for the Dunboyne 4 miler on Sunday I was hoping for.

Had a physio appointment in the evening where my quads and IT bands may never forgive me for the world of pain they had to go through. I won't be in a hurry to get them seen at again anytime soon :eek:

Month|Miles
    March|139.03
    Total|542.12

Advertisement