Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Under the Influence of Jack Daniels

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I'd have snapped your hand off for that time!

But I know what you mean........there'll be more 10k's to make amends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

If its any consolation you whipped my ass :D

Felt bad leaving you out there on you own but had fallen apart by 5km - really thought you were on for a sub-40 but you'll nail it the next day no problem..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hard luck today, going on the Fr Murphy 5 mile sub 40 is easily there, just not your day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Sunday 21st April
    6.24 Miles @ 7:36
    I wait 10 months for one 10k race and then I go and do two on the one weekend :) Decided to run the Lismullen school 10k outside Navan on Sunday as an easy / recovery run as I would have been doing 5 or 6 miles anyway and it was being run in memory of a friend of mine who passed away last year who was a teacher in the school.

Glad I wasn't racing it as it was a b1tch of a course with lots of hills and a nice breeze to contend with too. The funny thing about adopting an approach like this to a race situation is that most of the people around you are killing themselves at that pace while I was out for a Sunday stroll - stopping to tie my lace, walking through the water station etc. People who were powering past me on the downhill sections must have been cursing me at how easy I passed them again on the uphills without breaking a sweat while they huffed and puffed along. At the 9k mark the 10k joined with a 3k walk that was also going on so had to move around a few kids and buggies and even almost had to come to a complete stop just before the finish line to avoid tripping over a dog lead which would have been very frustrating if I was chasing a time. Crossed the line with 47:34 on the clock so a good workout on a nice training course.

Monday 22nd April
    4.97 Miles @ 8:29
    Easy run on grass.

Wednesday 24th April
    9.71 Miles @ 7:48
    6 x 5 mins at T pace with 1 min recovery
    The plan was to try and keep these around 6:40 - 6:45 pace range which I managed to do relatively comfortably. Wanted to finish strong so upped the pace for the last interval.

Distance|Pace
    0.74|6:45
    0.74|6:45
    0.74|6:43
    0.75|6:42
    0.74|6:44
    0.76|6:36

I plan on running the Malahide Parkrun on Saturday morning as a trial run of sorts before the Leixlip 5k the following week as I haven't raced a 5k in a while so I could do with the practice. I should be able to knock a decent chunk off my 5k PB of 19:40.

Month|Miles
    April|150.91
    Total|766.68

While you should be able to knock a bit of the 19:40, Don't under estimate the Malahide course, it's not hilly, but has 3 drags that just suck the energy out of the legs. The early start also makes it a bit more difficult (for me anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

There's a decent chance I'll be in Malahide on sat morning also B so if I am I'll look out for you.
    You might have to wait a couple of minutes for me at the finish line though...!

While you should be able to knock a bit of the 19:40, Don't under estimate the Malahide course, it's not hilly, but has 3 drags that just suck the energy out of the legs. The early start also makes it a bit more difficult (for me anyway).

Cheers I plan to do a loop of the course for my warm up so I'll have a good idea what to expect beforehand.
    belcarra wrote: »
    There's a decent chance I'll be in Malahide on sat morning also B so if I am I'll look out for you.
    You might have to wait a couple of minutes for me at the finish line though...!

You not planning on racing it flat out then? I'll keep an eye out for you.

Actually I have a question for those who have done the parkrun before. What do you do with the barcode during the run? Do you run with it?

beeduybe wrote: »
    Actually I have a question for those who have done the parkrun before. What do you do with the barcode during the run? Do you run with it?

I throw mine into my key pouch and run with that clipped to my waste, or else leave it in my jacket pocket at finishing area. Just make sure you laminate it and try to avoid bending it!

mines laminated and all my shorts have a back pocket with a zip. made for it!

• Advertisement

Thursday 25th April
    10.06 Miles @ 8:07
    First time hitting double digit mileage figures on a midweek run in a while.

Friday 26th April
    5.05 Miles @ 8:21
    Just an easy few miles.

Saturday 27th April
    7.05 Miles incl Malahide Parkrun 5k
    Finally popped my Parkrun cherry this morning at a sun-kissed Malahide Castle. I think I was too worried about chasing times and looking at the watch last week at the K Club so today I decided to set the screen on the garmin just to show heart rate and lock the bezel so that way I wouldn't know what time/pace I was running at but would still be able to review it afterwards.

A couple of people I was talking to beforehand recommended starting as near to the front as I could as the paths were quite narrow so if you got stuck behind a few slower runners there wouldn't be much room to manoeuvre. The hooter went off and one group quickly broke away and opened up a gap and I found myself towards the back of a second group. There was a guy in a Parkrun 100 t-shirt up ahead who seemed to be running strongly so tried to match his pace which worked well for the first half of the race run. He gradually pulled away from me and overtook some people so I just concentrated on working my way up to those whom he had passed. With about a k to go I powered past 2 guys who had slowed and this gave me a boost. There was another guy a good bit ahead so I tried to chase and despite thinking he looked like he was moving very slow for the last 500m I couldn't make any ground on him and ended up crossing the line a good bit behind him. Stopped the watch, collected my token and checked my time on the garmin - 19:22 - an 18 second PB :)

Garmin km splits: 3:41, 3:52, 3:54, 4:11, 3:42

Looking back at the Garmin data it measured the course at 4.92k but there was a couple of dramatic drops in pace going through a wooded area (drop from 6:xx pace to 9:xx pace and back to 6:xx again) which meant the 4th k showed up as being longer and slower than it actually was. I'm pretty confident the last 2k were a lot more consistent with the previous 2k than they look. Hopefully I’ll be able to knock a few more seconds off today's time again next week in Leixlip.

Month|Miles
    April|173.07
    Total|788.84

Well done B, Malahides a good course, but a tough one too. If you check out the Park Run boards page, theres some chat about how they measured it.

As Malahide course goes through some wooded areas, the Garmin becomes un reliable.
    I find the 4th km the hardest one that course, there's a drag when you round a bend that goes on forever!
    My 5k PB is 18:39, but I've not broken 19 mins yet at Malahide in 4 or 5 attempts.
    Best of luck at Leixlip.

You doing Lucan on 12th? Me & Johnny might be doing it?

Well done B, Malahides a good course, but a tough one too. If you check out the Park Run boards page, theres some chat about how they measured it.

As Malahide course goes through some wooded areas, the Garmin becomes un reliable.
    I find the 4th km the hardest one that course, there's a drag when you round a bend that goes on forever!
    My 5k PB is 18:39, but I've not broken 19 mins yet at Malahide in 4 or 5 attempts.
    Best of luck at Leixlip.

You doing Lucan on 12th? Me & Johnny might be doing it?

Cheers A, I know the course is measured correctly. I was just trying to explain the reason for my very slow garmin 4th k wasn't because I slowed down :)

I've already said I'll do a 6k in Navan on the Friday night before Lucan so not sure about doing both especially as I've penciled in the Maynooth 10k on the 19th too but I'll see what happens. Lucan is a nice race though.

Sunday 28th April
    7.13 Miles @ 8:22
    Longish recovery run.

Monday 29th April
    8.08 Miles @ 8:47
    Easy run on grass.

Tuesday 30th April
    8.61 Miles @ 7:49
    20 min Tempo run + 4 x 200m R pace with 200m recovery

I decided to repeat a session I had done a few weeks ago. Covered the 20 minute tempo section in 2.98 miles @ 6:42 pace which was pretty much bang on what I was hoping for. Followed that up with four 200m reps with the aim of concentrating on form. Splits: 47, 46, 44, 47.

So April was another pretty good month which included new PB's for 5k and 10k even if the 10k didn't go as well as hoped. Hopefully I'll be able to knock out a few more in May off the back of the Daniels plan.

Month|Miles
    January|210.33
    February|197.75
    March|207.70
    April|196.88
    Total|812.66

Thursday 2nd May
    5.11 Miles @ 8:30

Friday 3rd May
    4.86 Miles @ 8:18
    Nothing much to say about these two runs. Was just ticking over before the race on Saturday.

Saturday 4th May
    Leixlip 5k
    Had marked this one down a while back as a goal 5k race. Decided to do the parkrun in Malahide the week before as a trial run of sorts and it went pretty well running a new PB of 19:22 but I felt I could still improve on that time on a more favourable course. Arrived in Leixlip and found it to be a lot windier than what was forecast earlier in the week. I figured with the way the wind was blowing we would only be running into the wind for the first 500m and only for a short bit near the end so not so bad.

Was nicely sheltered for the first 500m by the runners up ahead. We then took a left turn at a roundabout and despite making a full 90 degree turn we were still running straight into the wind:confused: and now there was a nice long looking hill to contend with too :mad: Between here and 3k is a bit of a blur but by the time I reached the 3k marker I was not feeling the love for racing at all and was suffering badly. The central governor was telling me to stop but I somehow managed to keep going despite not really wanting to at all. Felt like I was crawling for the last 2k as people in front were getting further away but still managed to catch a guy who must have been feeling worse than I was. I was tempted to just run alongside him to the finish but shook myself out of it and pushed on past him and turned onto the track for the final 700m.

Whoever had the idea to let everyone pass the finish line and then do another lap must have a wicked sense of humour and with nobody to chase and nobody close enough behind me I was really going through the motions at this stage. Approaching the final bend I was surprised to see 19:11 on the clock so I put in a bit of a sprint finish to cross the line in 19:26 - only 4 seconds slower than last week despite feeling like I was much slower.

Don't think I was mentally tuned in to race a 5k today. I just turned up and hoped everything would fall together so just didn't have the right mindset when things started to feel tough. Looking back now at my splits my fall in pace was not as dramatic as it felt at the time and if it was a calmer day I might have even PB'ed so definitely was a better run than I originally thought.

Sunday 5th May
    12.47 Miles @ 8:11
    Lovely sunny morning for an LSR around the Phoenix Park. Picked an undulating 2 lap course as I really need to start doing some more hill work.

Monday 6th May
    5.13 Miles @ 8:48
    Just an easy run, mostly on grass.

Tuesday 7th May
    8.30 Miles @ 8:35
    A longer run on grass...

Month|Miles
    May|43.75
    Total|856.41

Unlucky B - that wind at the weekend has appeared in many a report. At work today I was talking to some runners (non boardsies) and all them ran different races and everyone mentioned how the wind messed it up.

A different day and it'd be grand, as you say the mindset wasn't right either.
    Its tough when the negative thoughts start - well done for ignoring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Had almost the exact same experience in Leixlip, only at a much slower pace than you.

Unlucky B - that wind at the weekend has appeared in many a report. At work today I was talking to some runners (non boardsies) and all them ran different races and everyone mentioned how the wind messed it up.

A different day and it'd be grand, as you say the mindset wasn't right either.
    Its tough when the negative thoughts start - well done for ignoring them.

Even though it's been getting a bit warmer the last few weeks there doesn't seem to be a let up in the wind at all which is especially annoying when it slows you down and run a time that doesn't reflect your training :mad:
    vitani wrote: »
    Had almost the exact same experience in Leixlip, only at a much slower pace than you.

The pace is all relative vitani. I (like everyone else posting here) was a lot slower when I first started running. It took me a while to break 23 mins for 5k and now I'm disappointed when I'm well under 20 so consistent training will bring big improvements. Everyone has bad days but they make the good ones feel even sweeter. Well done on the PB. Always a good sign that you're making progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

You going to have a go at Lucan this weekend to put Leixlip behind you?
    Or have you your eye on something else next?

You going to have a go at Lucan this weekend to put Leixlip behind you?
    Or have you your eye on something else next?

I'm away for most of the weekend so can't make Lucan so going to do Navan 6k tomorrow night. There are plenty of 5k's on over the next few months so should get another crack at it.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 8th May - Monday 20 May
    Been a little bit lazy and unmotivated lately so haven't been updating the log. The 24 week Daniels plan came to an end on a pretty flat note with the Navan 6k on 10th May. Felt pretty exhausted in the days leading up to it and despite running a decent time of 23:59 the fatigue affected me on the day and I don't think I ran particularly well relative to the shape I was in. I decided to take a short break to recharge my batteries as I wasn't feeling the love for running. Gradually got some enthusiasm and energy back and have been doing a few easy runs here and there but no sessions or hard running.

Tuesday 21st May
    Na Fianna 5k
    Made a last minute decision to head down to this one. Wasn't sure how much of an impact my reduction in training would have but still felt I was in with a pretty good shout of beating my 5k PB of 19:22. Started about 3 or 4 rows from the front but it was still quite congested for most of the first km so found myself venturing out from the racing line to get some space. The field started to spread out a good bit more once we passed the 1k mark. Claralara passed me around this point looking very strong so I thought that I might be able to try and keep with her but that plan didn't last very long as her pace was too hot for me and I now found myself a few metres behind a Na Fianna runner who I knew could run a low 19 minute 5k so tried to keep her in my sights. Spent pretty much the rest of the race looking at her backside as I could never quite catch her but she never pulled too far away from me either. I was glad I ran the last km on the warm up as I knew the last stretch was going to be a lot longer than what I remembered from last year. Turned into the hotel car park and made a sprint for the line crossing in 19:14 - an 8 second PB :)

Garmin splits - 3:42, 3:46, 3:58, 3:59, 3:47

Well done to all the boardsies running too. Almost a clean sweep of PB's :cool:

With a baby due now in the next couple of weeks I'm not sure exactly what direction my training is going to go in so I'm not going to target any specific races but will just try and keep ticking over when I can.

Month|Miles
    May|99.24
    Total|911.90

Congrats on both a great race and the impending arrival B!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great race, Well done. Your times are coming down nicely!

belcarra wrote: »
    Congrats on both a great race and the impending arrival B!

Cheers J. An impressive run by you too given how you were feeling beforehand and the issues out on the course.

blockic wrote: »
    Great race, Well done. Your times are coming down nicely!

Yeah always great to see improvement. Well done to you too. You shot past me in the first k and disappeared into the distance. If you keep up your rate of improvement you will be winning these races in no time :)

Wednesday 8th May - Monday 20 May
    Been a little bit lazy and unmotivated lately so haven't been updating the log. The 24 week Daniels plan came to an end on a pretty flat note with the Navan 6k on 10th May. Felt pretty exhausted in the days leading up to it and despite running a decent time of 23:59 the fatigue affected me on the day and I don't think I ran particularly well relative to the shape I was in. I decided to take a short break to recharge my batteries as I wasn't feeling the love for running. Gradually got some enthusiasm and energy back and have been doing a few easy runs here and there but no sessions or hard running.

Tuesday 21st May
    Na Fianna 5k
    Made a last minute decision to head down to this one. Wasn't sure how much of an impact my reduction in training would have but still felt I was in with a pretty good shout of beating my 5k PB of 19:22. Started about 3 or 4 rows from the front but it was still quite congested for most of the first km so found myself venturing out from the racing line to get some space. The field started to spread out a good bit more once we passed the 1k mark. Claralara passed me around this point looking very strong so I thought that I might be able to try and keep with her but that plan didn't last very long as her pace was too hot for me and I now found myself a few metres behind a Na Fianna runner who I knew could run a low 19 minute 5k so tried to keep her in my sights. Spent pretty much the rest of the race looking at her backside as I could never quite catch her but she never pulled too far away from me either. I was glad I ran the last km on the warm up as I knew the last stretch was going to be a lot longer than what I remembered from last year. Turned into the hotel car park and made a sprint for the line crossing in 19:14 - an 8 second PB :)

Garmin splits - 3:42, 3:46, 3:58, 3:59, 3:47

Well done to all the boardsies running too. Almost a clean sweep of PB's :cool:

With a baby due now in the next couple of weeks I'm not sure exactly what direction my training is going to go in so I'm not going to target any specific races but will just try and keep ticking over when I can.

Month|Miles
    May|99.24
    Total|911.90

Good PB given the circumstances. Keeping the mojo going can be tough, especially after a plan like Daniels.

That training will stand to you in the coming weeks and you'll be sub 19 in no time.
    Congrats on the impending arrival!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

Congrats on the PB and dont worry about training when the baby comes along, you will be doing far more running around then :D

Well done on the PB and good to have you back posting. Congrats also on the new baby - after the first six weeks or so it shouldn't affect your running too much - 5am runs are fun :D

Good PB given the circumstances. Keeping the mojo going can be tough, especially after a plan like Daniels.

That training will stand to you in the coming weeks and you'll be sub 19 in no time.
    Congrats on the impending arrival!

Thanks RK. Well done on your super run in Maynooth on Sunday. You've come a long way since that 48 minute 10k at the K Club :D
    EMPM wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB and dont worry about training when the baby comes along, you will be doing far more running around then :D

I think you could be right there. It's going to be our first baby so no idea what to expect really but running probably won't be top of my priorities :)
    Tom Joad wrote: »
    Well done on the PB and good to have you back posting. Congrats also on the new baby - after the first six weeks or so it shouldn't affect your running too much - 5am runs are fun :D

5am!! :eek: Sure there is no point going to bed at all :D

• Advertisement

ok I may have exaggerated - sometimes you might get a lie in till 6AM.. :D

Advertisement