Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Under the Influence of Jack Daniels

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

belcarra wrote: »
    Congrats on both a great race and the impending arrival B!

what he said!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Congrats on the PB! (oh and the baby! :)).

Take some time off and just enjoy the running, getting out when you can and the hunger will come back naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

beeduybe wrote: »
    5am!! :eek: Sure there is no point going to bed at all :D

:pac:
    Yep, with a new baby in the house there is very little point going to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

RayCun wrote: »
    :pac:
    Yep, with a new baby in the house there is very little point going to bed

I'd better start tapering for this insomnia running :D

Any progress on the injury front Ray? Your log has been very quiet lately.

Thursday 23rd May
    7.54 Miles @ 7:57
    Easy lunchtime run out by Sandymount.

Sunday 26th May
    12.47 Miles @ 8:19
    Hilly 2 lap route around around the Phoenix Park this morning in glorious sunshine.

Month|Miles
    May|119.25
    Total|931.91

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

some... went to Ciaran Fitzpatrick last week and he reckons it was just a muscle problem. Seems to be better since then, but I need to see what happens after a few weeks running

• Advertisement

Monday 27th May
    7.13 Miles @ 8:09
    7 x 400m with 400m recovery
    Decided to try one of the early sessions from Phase 2 of the Daniels to try and bring a bit of variety speed wise back into my training. I was originally planning 10 reps but after a few too many encounters with dogs decided to stop at 7. Most of the reps were around 90 seconds but there was one at 98 so not really sure what happened there...

Wednesday 29th May
    5.41 Miles @ 8:20
    Just an easy few miles.

Thursday 30th May
    8.55 Miles @ 8:21
    Nice morning run up around Irishtown Nature Reserve.

Friday 31st May
    4.74 Miles @ 8:20
    Plan was to go for a few easy miles around the cricket pitch in Trinity at lunchtime but there was a cricket match on when I got there so without a Plan B I wandered over to Merrion Square and ran a few laps.

Saturday 1st June
    10.37 Miles @ 7:37 including 6 Miles @ 6:55
    A 6 mile tempo run in 41:27 not including an unscheduled recovery in the middle for a toilet break. Warm up and cool down brought the entire run over 10 miles.

Sunday 2nd June
    5.11 Miles @ 8:52
    Very slow recovery run on grass. Felt very sluggish for first couple of miles but gradually settled into it.

May was my lowest mileage month this year by some distance but would be happy to hit that total again in June given the 'distraction' ahead.

Month|Miles
    January|210.33
    February|197.75
    March|215.24
    April|196.88
    May|145.09
    June|15.48
    Total|980.77

Monday 3rd June
    5.26 Miles @ 8:33
    Easy run after a nice bank holiday lie in :)

Tuesday 4th June
    7.75 Miles @ 8:08
    Fartlek type run with a few 100m strides thrown in.

Wednesday 5th June
    5.15 Miles @ 8:21
    Ventured out by Ballsbridge at lunchtime for a change of scenery and got a close up view of the Aviva Stadium for the first time.

Thursday 6th June
    9.33 Miles @ 8:30
    Nice 7am run in the sunshine. Had thought I hit the 1000 mile mark for the year on this run but later discovered I hadn't as I'd accidently included some miles on the bike in my running mileage in the last post so not quite there yet.

Month|Miles
    June|42.97
    Total|995.73

Training has been very inconsistent over the last week or so waiting for the baby to arrive but the waiting game is still going on as the new arrival is over a week late at this stage...

Saturday 8th June
    4.60 Miles including Bohermeen 5k
    No sign of a baby so made a last minute decision to run this but because I wasn't planning on doing it I hadn't planned my meals around the race meaning I had to leave my dinner til afterwards and run this on an empty stomach which was a bad idea as I was starving and lacking energy during the race, completely fell apart after 2k and ran a pretty poor time of 20:12, a good minute slower than my last 5k. The less said about this race the better although I did manage to pass the 1000 mile mark for the year as I was crossing the finish line.

Tuesday 11th June
    3.31 Miles @ 8:12
    Was tight for time but managed to get out in the rain for a few miles.

Wednesday 12th June
    8.04 Miles @ 8:16
    Lunchtime run out by Sandymount. I've been feeling a bit of pain on the sole of my foot after my recent runs on hard surfaces and think it might be the early stages of plantar fasciitis. Going to keep most of runs on grass for the time being.

Thursday 13th June
    6.00 Miles @ 8:20
    A few loops of the Trinity cricket pitch at lunchtime.

Saturday 15th June
    5.60 Miles @ 8:29
    Another run on the grass to keep me ticking over.

Sunday 16th June
    10.08 Miles @ 8:36
    Same course as the previous day with a couple of extra laps. The rain of the previous 24 hours meant the ground was very boggy which was surprising considering how dry it was the day before.

Month|Miles
    June|80.60
    Total|1,033.37

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

wrote: »
    A few loops of the Trinity cricket pitch at lunchtime.

Just wondering if you run there often as I work close by and thought you needed permission to run there, or is that only during Winter?

Hope the new arrival lands safe and well soon! My first was a week late too.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Just wondering if you run there often as I work close by and thought you needed permission to run there, or is that only during winter

They don't allow people to run there during the winter but there are no restrictions during the summer and always plenty of runners there at lunchtime.

• Advertisement

The little man finally arrived 12 days late so training has been almost non existent since then as there has been no routine and have been spending most of my free time catching up on sleep but he's well settled in at this stage so I can start thinking about getting in some consistent, structured training again. A couple of runs last week brought me up to 115 miles for June which is easily my lowest mileage month of the year so far.

Plan for July is to try and get out for a run every day even if just for half an hour. Those runs last week showed me how much fitness I've lost as even though I subconsciously settled into my old easy pace my HR was closer to what I'd expect on a tempo run so going to try and build up the mileage again over the next few weeks by keeping my HR between P&D's recommended range for easy runs as opposed to trying to hold a pace.

If July goes well I might consider following a 12 week plan for DCM starting from early August but I'll play it by ear. I've targeted the Athlone HM in September as it's a race I can start working towards now as well as being a good tune up race for DCM should I decide to go down that route.

Monday 1st July
    3.21 Miles @ 8:53
    Stuck for time but nice to get out for a few miles.

Tuesday 2nd July
    12.09 Miles @ 9:17
    Been living in Dublin 15 for about 6 months now but haven't really been venturing too far from where I know so went on a bit of an adventure today taking in Porterstown Park and Carpenterstown as well as a monster of a hill down a country road beside the Castleknock Hotel. The average pace is about a minute slower per mile than for the same effort a couple of months ago so a lot of work to do.

Month|Miles
    July|15.30
    Total|1,083.80

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Congrats on the new arrival! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

The little man finally arrived 12 days late so training has been almost non existent since then as there has been no routine and have been spending most of my free time catching up on sleep but he's well settled in at this stage so I can start thinking about getting in some consistent, structured training again. A couple of runs last week brought me up to 115 miles for June which is easily my lowest mileage month of the year so far.

Plan for July is to try and get out for a run every day even if just for half an hour. Those runs last week showed me how much fitness I've lost as even though I subconsciously settled into my old easy pace my HR was closer to what I'd expect on a tempo run so going to try and build up the mileage again over the next few weeks by keeping my HR between P&D's recommended range for easy runs as opposed to trying to hold a pace.

If July goes well I might consider following a 12 week plan for DCM starting from early August but I'll play it by ear. I've targeted the Athlone HM in September as it's a race I can start working towards now as well as being a good tune up race for DCM should I decide to go down that route.

Monday 1st July
    3.21 Miles @ 8:53
    Stuck for time but nice to get out for a few miles.

Tuesday 2nd July
    12.09 Miles @ 9:17
    Been living in Dublin 15 for about 6 months now but haven't really been venturing too far from where I know so went on a bit of an adventure today taking in Porterstown Park and Carpenterstown as well as a monster of a hill down a country road beside the Castleknock Hotel. The average pace is about a minute slower per mile than for the same effort a couple of months ago so a lot of work to do.

Month|Miles
    July|15.30
    Total|1,083.80

Welcome to my world! The pathway in porterstown is exactly 1 mile, ideal for intervals etc in my book.
    That hill by the hotel, it's about 3 mins from my house, if you run down it, turn right about a half mile, it'll bring you to an equally tough hill. It's a good loop to do (says me who's never done it)

Btw, congrats on the ickle 'un.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Congrats on the new arrival - enjoy!!

Welcome to my world! The pathway in porterstown is exactly 1 mile, ideal for intervals etc in my book.
    That hill by the hotel, it's about 3 mins from my house, if you run down it, turn right about a half mile, it'll bring you to an equally tough hill. It's a good loop to do (says me who's never done it)

Btw, congrats on the ickle 'un.

Yeah 1 long loop definitely seems easier than 4 laps of a track although that grass track is still handy to have on your doorstep if you were doing 400's or 800's if not so good for a sneaky beer mile training session :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Congrats on the new arrival. If will change things for awhile but after 3 months alot will settle.

When our first one arrived, i managed to get back to the club after 2 months. They will wake early but u can use that to your advantage as can go for a run and leave the other half in bed with the child resting. Phrase it well :)

Our second came last November, so training now with a 2 year old and 6 month old!! Just work around things, run early, run to work, run when they go to bed, run lunch time in work, there is always a way to do it without impacting on them, just need to work it out with other half, and ensure she gets out too as sometimes they get stuck in the house which isn't great for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Congrats B!
    Have you purchased the latest high-tech, streamlined, go-faster-striped buggy for the racing yet??

Congrats on the new arrival. If will change things for awhile but after 3 months alot will settle.

When our first one arrived, i managed to get back to the club after 2 months. They will wake early but u can use that to your advantage as can go for a run and leave the other half in bed with the child resting. Phrase it well :)

Our second came last November, so training now with a 2 year old and 6 month old!! Just work around things, run early, run to work, run when they go to bed, run lunch time in work, there is always a way to do it without impacting on them, just need to work it out with other half, and ensure she gets out too as sometimes they get stuck in the house which isn't great for her.

Running to/from work and at lunchtime is when I hope to get most of my midweek runs in so home life shouldn't suffer too much. He's settled very well so I have been getting much better sleep than I expected so easier to get back into a routine with my running.
    belcarra wrote: »
    Congrats B!
    Have you purchased the latest high-tech, streamlined, go-faster-striped buggy for the racing yet??

Not yet but I'll have to make a trip to Gary Crossan in AK to find out where to get me one of those 3 hour marathon buggies :D

Not too much excitement going on here as I've just really been doing some easy running to build up the miles again.

Wednesday 3rd July
    5.60 Miles @ 9:25

Thursday 4th July
    3.36 Miles @ 8:58

Friday 5th July
    9.30 Miles @ 8:47
    Didn't get out until 9pm for this one so was a very unusual run for me but turned out to be one of the most enjoyable runs I've had in a long time and only for it was starting to get dark I would have gone on a bit longer.

Saturday 6th July
    My plan to run every day in July lasted 5 days as time restraints meant I never had a chance to put the runners on.

Sunday 7th July
    5.35 Miles @ 8:55

Monday 8th July
    9.40 Miles @ 8:26
    My first ever runmute as I ran home from work along the canal from the city centre to Clonsilla. I struggled during the run as the heat got the better of me and ended up taking a couple of walk breaks.

Tuesday 9th July
    3.04 Miles @ 9:01
    Lunchtime run on grass. Was planning about 5 miles but cut it short as it was just too warm and I wasn't enjoying it.

Have signed up for the Fingal 10k on the 21st as I need a race to give me an idea of what kind of shape I'm in.

Month|Miles
    July|51.36
    Total|1,119.85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Monday 8th July
    9.40 Miles @ 8:26
    My first ever runmute as I ran home from work along the canal from the city centre to Clonsilla. I struggled during the run as the heat got the better of me and ended up taking a couple of walk breaks.

Where did you start from? I work in the city centre as well and have ran home along the quays and through the Phoenix Park a couple of times, but I'd like to try the canal out at some point.

• Advertisement

vitani wrote: »
    Where did you start from? I work in the city centre as well and have ran home along the quays and through the Phoenix Park a couple of times, but I'd like to try the canal out at some point.

I started from the North Strand Road just up past Connolly Station here:
    https://maps.google.ie/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=ie&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=203483889114134338679.0004e127e4b02044f0250

It's a bit stop start as far as Phibsboro as you have to stop at a couple of junctions but once you get past there it's pretty much a trafficless route from there onwards.

Wednesday 10th July
    4.92 Miles @ 8:42
    Hit the road at 7am for this one to avoid the worst of the heat. I ran an out and back route which I knew would be almost completely shaded by buildings and trees at that time.

Thursday 11th July
    6.76 Miles @ 8:30
    Similar route to the day before but out a bit further. Threw in a few strides as well. Didn't notice the heat as much as earlier in the week so think it's a sign I'm acclimsatising.

Friday 12th July
    10.06 Miles @ 8:20
    Up at the crack of dawn for this one. Really enjoying these early morning runs and the pace steadily got faster as the run progressed.

Month|Miles
    July|73.10
    Total|1,141.60

Sunday 14th July
    5.60 Miles @ 9:03
    Recovery paced run on grass.

Monday 15th July
    8.70 Miles @ 8:20
    Another early morning easy run.

Tuesday 16th July
    9.73 Miles @ 8:22
    Same as the previous day but tagged on an extra mile.

Wednesday 17th July
    3.36 Miles @ 8:59
    My planned lunchtime run didn't happen as I'd forgotten my shorts but did manage to get in a few miles later in the day.

Thursday 18th July
    7.90 Miles @ 9:14
    Very easy run on grass. Took it nice and easy and didn't push the pace at all.

Saturday 20th July
    5.36 Miles @ 8:51
    Found this run hard in the heat at 9am so wasn't expecting things to be much better at 10am the following day in Swords.

Sunday 21st July
    Fingal 10k
    Wasn't expecting much from this as it was my first race in a couple of months and was ran off a few weeks of just easy running. Didn't really know what sort of time I might be capable of running so the plan was to run by feel so that I should settle into a pace that felt natural. Thankfully the heat wasn't much of an issue at all as it turned out to be a very cloudy morning and there was no sign of the sun.

I positioned myself about halfway down the first wave not wanting to be too near the front or the back. Splits for first 3k were 4:17, 4:12 and 4:11 and I calculated I was on pace for a 42:30ish finish. In anticipation of the heat my plan was to walk through the water stations and get on plenty of fluid so when I got to the first station I was about halfway through the cup when I realised I wasn't actually that thirsty and a lot of people were going past me so I threw the rest of the water over me and continued on. There was a slight drop in pace over the next 3k and went through halfway in about 21:30.

There was a nice downhill section after halfway and some time was made back here. I was passing quite a few people here who were slowing and I was still feeling reasonably good so at 7k I decided to take things up a notch and start targeting those up ahead to try and catch. A guy who was running with me for the previous few k's reacted by trying to keep with me but he quickly fell off. I felt pretty good from here to 9k and made up for a good few places. Spotted somebody I knew in the distance just before 9k so thinking there was only a k to go I would try and put in a big effort to try and get up with him but my lack of local knowledge killed me here as the hill at the start of the last k took a lot out of me and by the time I almost reached him the finish line appeared in the distance and he started his sprint finish. A quick look at the watch showed about 42:30 so I knew it would be touch and go if I would get under 43 mins so made a big push for the line and just about made it - 42:58.

A long way off my best but happy with that for my first race back. A slower average pace than a half marathon I ran in March but still something to work off.

Km splits according to the Garmin were:
    4:17, 4:12, 4:11, 4:22, 4:23, 4:21, 4:17, 4:14, 4:16, 4:13, 0:08(last 0.02)

Month|Miles
    July|121.39
    Total|1,189.89

Advertisement