Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Under the Influence of Jack Daniels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

menoscemo wrote: »
    I don't think you were with the Boards group. We didn't take that route on your garmin. There was another very large group that started at 10am, we saw them leave the Car-park as we headed back just after 10am (most of us started at 9am and we looped back for about 10.05am.) there was only about 12 in our group and only Vagga joined us at 10 am I think.

Yeah I was with that group but I asked a couple of them were they the boards group and they said they were so if they weren't we must have got our wires completely mixed up :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

beeduybe wrote: »
    Yeah I was with that group but I asked a couple of them were they the boards group and they said they were so if they weren't we must have got our wires completely mixed up :confused:

Ah well, next time. That is a huge group that starts there every saturday at 10am. We are a smaller group but much cooler :D.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ah well, next time. That is a huge group that starts there every saturday at 10am. We are a smaller group but much cooler :D.

Maybe they misunderstood my country accent or something?? :rolleyes: Apologies if anyone waited for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

beeduybe wrote: »
    Maybe they misunderstood my country accent or something?? :rolleyes: Apologies if anyone waited for me.

Nope we weren't really sure if anyone was coming at 10, so everyone grabbed a quick drink the headed on.

Sunday 15th January
    Legs felt a bit heavy so decided to take a rest day from running and went for a short swim instead.

Monday 16th January
    Tempo interval session in the gym. 1 mile warm up followed by 3 x 10 mins (7:18 min/mile) with 2 min recovery jog and 5 min cool down.

Month|Miles
    January|68.44
    Total|68.44

• Advertisement

Tuesday 17th January
    A slow 4.5 mile run in the gym.

Wednesday 18th January
    Decided to skip a planned speed session with Saturday's XC race in mind and with the weather looking good I headed out to Sandymount and back for an easy 8 mile run at lunchtime.

7.94 Miles in 1:10:02. Average Pace 8:49.

Month|Miles
    January|80.92
    Total|80.92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adrian moran

ack]I'm a regular visitor to the A/R/T forum but not a very regular poster but i've decided to change that by starting my own training log.[/COLOR]

Have been running for the last two years starting off with short distances like BHAA and club races and gradually moved up to marathon distance last month when I completed DCM.

My racing up to this point has been more about just showing up and running as opposed to training towards specific targets.

So I have decided to start logging my training with the following goal in mind:

hi . adrian here.why not join south ohanlon and meet up with the lads for training runs. im a member for over 20 years and they are all great guys who love their running. watch your pbs drop with some quality training. ask myself or any of the lads about joining the club at the next track meeting in claremont.everyone welcome. talk soon .adrian.

Run a PB for each of the below distances by the end of 2012:

1 Mile
    Current PB - 6.41

Current PB - 12.57

Both of these times were run in the South O'Hanlon AC track races in Navan. As they are starting up again on Wednesday for 6 weeks alternating between the two distances I hope to achieve a PB in both by the end of the year.

Current PB - 22.52
    Possible 2012 PB Race: Na Fianna 22nd May

4 Miles
    Current PB - 28.44
    Possible 2012 PB Race: Dunboyne 25th March

Current PB - 28.53
    Possible 2012 PB Race: Navan 16th May

5 Miles
    Current PB - 37.32
    Possible 2012 PB Race: Raheny 29th January

Current PB - 48.31
    Possible 2012 PB Race: BHAA K Club 14th April

10 Miles
    Current PB - 1.21.35
    Possible 2012 PB Race: Frank Duffy 18th August

Half Marathon
    Current PB - 1.46.03
    Possible 2012 PB Race: Bohermeen 4th March

Marathon
    Current PB - 4.10.01
    Possible 2012 PB Race: Dublin 29th October

Ok now that I have a log i'll need to find a training plan. Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Adrian. I'm actually a member of Navan AC but there is not much adult runners in the club so I done a lot of my long training runs for the marathon last year with the Meath Running Group which is organised by the Meath Sports Partnership. What sort of training sessions do you guys do in South O'Hanlon? Also do you know when the next set of track races start in Claremont?

Thursday 20th January
    A 2 Mile warm up on the treadmill followed by some stretching and core exercises.

Friday 21th January
    Decided to save my running legs for Cherryfield Park tomorrow and went for a swim instead.

Month|Miles
    January|82.91
    Total|82.91

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭topday

Hey Beeduybe, I see you are doing the Bohermeen half 4th March. I am thinking about doing it as well.. Have you done it before? Is it a good race?

• Advertisement

A warm up consisting of a couple of laps of the course told me that the ground was going to be a bit firmer than Tymon Park two weeks. My plan was to try and keep my mile splits in and around 7:30 and try and get my time under 37:30.

Took it easy on the first mile and tried not to take off too fast which was helped by the couple of narrow sections in the first lap where I almost had to stop completely as traffic built up. My foot landed on some uneven ground at one stage and seemed to twist my ankle slightly but luckily I was able to continue without picking up an injury. I felt really good throughout the race and unusually for me I was running an a pretty even pace.

I found myself passing loads of people on the final lap including many who had passed me earlier and as I approached the downhill section after the turn near the motorway I upped my intensity and reeled in a few others. I was feeling great at this stage and cruised towards the finish even managing a sprint finish despite running into a very strong breeze for a new 5 mile PB of 36:27 - knocking over a minute off my previous best. It was probably the best paced race of my running career to date. The garmin measured the course at 4.96 miles but i'll claiming the PB nonetheless. I have no doubt i'll smash that time on the road later in the year anyway :cool:

4.96 Miles in 36:27. Average Pace 7:21.

Distance | 1 Mile | 3k | 5k | 4 Miles | 6k | 5 Miles | 10k | 10 Miles | Half Marathon | Marathon |
    Pre Log PB | 6.41 | 12.57 | 22.52 | 22.44 | 28.53 | 37.32 | 48.31 | 1.21.35 | 1.46.03 | 4.10.01 |
    Current PB | 6.10 | 12.16 | 21.22 | 22.44 | 28.53 | 36.27 | 48.31 | 1.21.35 | 1.46.03 | 4.10.01 |

Month|Miles
    January|91.52
    Total|91.52

topday wrote: »
    Hey Beeduybe, I see you are doing the Bohermeen half 4th March. I am thinking about doing it as well.. Have you done it before? Is it a good race?

Hey topday. I was originally planning on running that one but i'm now undecided. There is a cross country race I want to run the day before so I might concentrate on that instead. I might still run the Bohermeen half as a training run but i'll see nearer the time.

This is the first year Bohermeen have ran a half marathon but i've ran in their other road races in the past and have found them to be very well organised.

Sunday 22th January

7.5 mile run bringing me within touching distance of the 100 mile mark for 2012.

7.64 Miles in 1:10:25. Average Pace 9:13.

Month|Miles
    January|99.16
    Total|99.16

Monday 23th January
    Tempo Interval session. 3 x 10 mins @ 7:18 pace with 2 min recovery jogs. 1 mile warm up and cool down. Maybe I was just feeling good today but these sessions seem to be getting easier...

Month|Miles
    January|105.66
    Total|105.66

Tuesday 24th January
    Lunchtime - 1 mile warm up followed by stretching and core exercises.
    Evening - Swim session.

Wednesday 25th January
    Went for a 8 mile run around windy Clontarf at lunchtime. Finished before it started bucketing down too :D
    8.31 Miles in 1:13:23. Average Pace 8:50.

Month|Miles
    January|115.08
    Total|115.08

Thursday 26th January
    Interval session. 5 x 5 mins @ 6:44 pace with 3 min recovery jog.

Have decided against doing the Raheny 5 miler on Sunday. Think i'll concentrate on the cross country for the time being plus not doing it means I can get in a long run at the weekend without holding myself back and a 3pm start would kinda take up most of Sunday :)

Month|Miles
    January|121.66
    Total|121.66

Friday 27th January
    Rest day from running. Hit the pool for some cross training instead.

Saturday 28th January
    Met up with some of the MRG gang for a morning run. With the weather forecast telling me it was gonna be around 0°C I decided to wrap up warm and blew the dust off my rarely worn tights. Ended up running 12 miles including a couple of laps of the car park to make up the 12 :)
    12.02 Miles in 1:48:21. Average Pace 9:01.

Month|Miles
    January|133.67
    Total|133.67

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Nice route. I always struggle to come up with good routes around Navan.

neilc wrote: »
    Nice route. I always struggle to come up with good routes around Navan.

Yeah its not bad. Roads are generally quiet too. I find the MapMyRun website is a good tool to work out some routes beforehand.

Sunday 29th January
    Didn't fancy heading out in the rain so hit the treadmill for a 4 mile recovery run.

Monday 30th January
    Tempo interval session. 3 x 10 mins (7:18 min/mile) with 2 min recovery jog.

Month|Miles
    January|144.27
    Total|144.27

• Advertisement

Tuesday 31st January
    8.5 mile lunchtime down the coast to Booterstown and back.
    8.57 Miles in 1:14:03. Average Pace 8:38.

152 miles for January - a new monthly high :)

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    Total|152.95

Decided to skip an interval session this week in favour of running the 3k time trial in Navan. Having ran 12:16 for the distance in December I was interested to see whether my training since would help result in a quicker time.

There was no wind whatsoever but was bitterly cold so there was no standing around before the race. Having raced 3k on 3 occasions in the last few months on the track I'm getting a better idea of how to pace myself and planned on running each lap around 1:35 going at a slightly faster pace on the opening lap to get into position so was happy with my first three lap splits of 1:31, 1:35 and 1:35.

I slowed a little over the next two laps (1:38, 1:39) and I found myself a bit isolated as there was quite a cushion opening up ahead of me. With about 2 laps to go I was overtook by someone who I had paced myself off in previous races but usually pulled away from me in the end. I said to myself that I would try and keep with him for as long as possible and kept in just behind him and this resulted in splits of 1:37 and 1:35 for laps 6 and 7.

With 200m to go I decided to up the pace and coming around the final bend I attempted a sprint finish overtaking my pacemaker and cruised towards the line, finishing in a time of 12:05 - a new PB by 11 seconds :D

Distance | 1 Mile | 3k | 5k | 4 Miles | 6k | 5 Miles | 10k | 10 Miles | Half Marathon | Marathon |
    Pre Log PB | 6:41 | 12:57 | 22:52 | 28:44 | 28:53 | 37:32 | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:46:03 | 4:10:01 |
    Current PB | 6:10 | 12:05 | 21:22 | 28:44 | 28:53 | 36:27 | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:46:03 | 4:10:01 |

Decided to taper Thursday and Friday with Saturday's XC in mind.

Thursday 2nd February

1 mile warm up followed by some flexibility and core exercises.

Friday 3rd February
    Hit the pool to work on my swimming.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February| 5.87
    Total|158.82

The warm up told me that the spikes would definitely be needed today as it was quite muddy and slippy in places and probably not a PB course but the plan was to try and keep my pace around 7:20 min/miles.

I ran at a comfortable pace for the first couple of miles resisting the urge to start off at a pace I would pay for later on and settled into a rhythm as the runners began to spread out and reached the 2 mile mark in a time of 14:31.

Slowed slightly in the third mile as we encountered some of the muddier parts of the course and despite not feeling like I had slowed down the third mile split of 7:31 suggested a drop in pace. I decided to try and up the pace slightly and try and keep up with a few others who were beginning to pull away from me.

The 4 mile marker beeped on my garmin just as I approached the turn just past the river and this was when I decided to up my intensity further and started picking off a few runners ahead of me. The narrow trail just before the finish meant passing runners became more problematic so was nearly jumping in and out of the ditch just to overtake a few people.

As we approached the finishing straight I started my traditional sprint finish but my speed was hindered by the soft ground underfoot and couldn't quite catch the person ahead of me but was happy with my finishing time of 35:05 - a considerable improvement on Cherryfield Park but with the garmin clocking the course at 4.82 miles I am a bit apprehensive about claiming the PB so I will just have to beat that time in the future to put my mind at rest :)

4.82 Miles in 35:05. Average Pace 7:17.

Pre Log PB | 6:41 | 12:57 | 22:52 | 28:44 | 28:53 | 37:32 | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:46:03 | 4:10:01 |
    Current PB | 6:10 | 12:05 | 21:22 | 28:44 | 28:53 | 36:27(35:05) | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:46:03 | 4:10:01 |

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|14.17
    Total|167.11

Sunday 5th February
    6 mile recovery run to loosen out the legs after yesterday.
    6.03 Miles in 53:59. Average Pace 8:58.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|20.19
    Total|173.14

Monday 6th February
    Tempo Interval Session.
    3 x 10 mins @ 7:18 pace with 2 min recovery jog.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|26.67
    Total|179.62

Tuesday 7th February
    Lunchtime 8 mile run out to the Merrion Gates and back. Legs felt quite heavy towards the end of the run.
    8.05 Miles in 1:09:47. Average Pace 8:40.

Wednesday 8th February
    Legs were still not feeling 100% so took a day off running and went for a light session in the pool.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|34.82
    Total|187.76

Thursday 9th February
    Decided to give my running legs another day of rest and undertook some strength and core training instead.

Friday 10th February
    A 5 mile run on the treadmill at recovery pace. Legs felt good so should be ok for an LSR tomorrow.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|41.33
    Total|194.27

Saturday 11th February
    Early morning 14 mile LSR. Max my running partners were running was 12 miles so when I left them at about 11.5 I spontaneously decided to try and run the final 2.5 to 3 miles in or around half marathon pace. Despite not currently training for a marathon (or a half for that matter) I've recently purchased P&D's Advanced Marathoning to see what the fuss was all about. I noticed that a lot of the long runs included some miles at marathon pace so thought it would be interesting to see how it would feel to run a few miles at a faster pace at the end of an LSR and it felt pretty comfortable.

14.29 Miles in 2:02:24. Average Pace 8:34.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|55.62
    Total|208.56

• Advertisement

Sunday 12th February
    3 Mile recovery run after Saturday's LSR.

Monday 13th February
    Lunchtime 7.5 mile run including 2.5 miles on grass.
    7.61 Miles in 1:05:41. Average Pace 8:38.

Tuesday 14th February
    30 minute cycle in the gym followed by 5 minute run on treadmill to loosen out the legs.

Wednesday 15th February
    Interval training. 5 x 5 mins @ 6:44 pace with 3 min recovery jogs.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|72.78
    Total|225.73

Advertisement