Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Under the Influence of Jack Daniels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

The 1 lap warm up suggested that this was far from a PB course due to the hills and the wind but my recent form suggested I could make a decent attempt at beating my previous best of 28:44.

There was a lot of congestion in the first lap as both the men and ladies started from the same place so I just settled into the pack and tried to stay at a hard but comfortable pace. I was a little concerned at the ease at which I was passing people as we went up the steepest hill of the course into the wind and wondered was I pushing too hard and would it come back to haunt me later on in the race.

Despite this the hill did slow me down a but was happy with my first mile split of 7:05. I slowed a little over the next lap but still felt strong again coming up the hill and flew past even more people. As I approached the third lap my plan was to try and stay in touch with the group just in front of me which included two regular BHAA'ers (lets call them PJ and Duncan biggrin.gif) who I would have considered a considerable bit faster than myself before today.

I still felt really strong going up the hill on the third and final lap and really closed the gap on the lads in front and actually passed PJ as we approached the wooded area as the hills seemed to have taken a lot out of him. I still kind of expected him to whizz past me before the finish but I never seem him again. I now had Duncan within my sights and stayed just behind him until I upped the pace as we turned the bend for the home stretch and left him for dead. I cruised towards the finish from here and crossed the line with a garmin time of 28:59 (chip time 29:04) not quite a PB time but given the conditions it felt like a PB performance.

4.01 Miles in 28:59. Average Pace 7:14.

A banjaxed internet connection, a family bereavement and a weekend away in Manchester all combined to stall my training and logging for the past week or so...

Sunday 19th February
    3 mile recovery run

Monday 20th February
    Easy 5 mile run

Tuesday 21st February
    Hill training on the treadmill. Pyramid session 5mins @ 1% incline, 5mins @ 2%, 5mins @ 3%, 10mins @ 4%, 5mins @ 3%, 5mins @ 2%, 5mins @ 1%.

Thursday 23th February
    Lunchtime 10 mile run. Decided to run this at a faster pace than my usual long runs and felt pretty comfortable throughout although the last few miles were pretty tough as fatigue started to set in and I had to run into a very strong wind. Interestingly enough I actually covered the 10 miles in a faster time than the race series last year (albeit that was a bad day from my own point of view).
    9.96 Miles in 1:20:43 Average Pace 8:06.

Friday 24th - Sunday 26th February
    Didn't bring my running gear with me as I had always planned to take the weekend off but did get some cross training in with a good bit of walking :)

Monday 27th February
    Tempo Interval session on the treadmill. 3 x 10mins @ 7:18 pace with 2 min recovery jog.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|109.26
    Total|262.20

Tuesday 28th February
    Easy 8 mile run out to the Merrion Gates and back at lunchtime. Didn't push too hard and kept my HRR under 75%. My average pace for these types of runs seems to be getting faster without working any harder so a good sign my fitness is improving
    7.86 Miles in 1:07:47. Average Pace 8:37.

Wednesday 29th February
    Went to the gym at lunchtime and done a 45 minute flexibilty and core session.

The last of the track time trials took place in Navan last night. After my 12:05 run on 1st Feb I set myself the target of going under 12 mins by the end of the month. Circumstances meant I didn't get a chance to run last weeks 3k so this was going to be my only shot at sub 12.

I knew if I could keep my 400m splits under 1:36 I would reach my target so the plan was to try and run a little faster than this for the first couple of laps and try and stay in and around 1:36 for the remaining laps with a strong finish on the final 200.

The first few laps went pretty well and I found myself just behind another runner whose pace was just perfect for me to pace myself off and try and keep up with and this resulted in splits of 1:30, 1:32, 1:31 and 1:32 for the first four laps - well within my target. Really started to feel the pace in the following lap and fell a good behind my pacer over the next few laps but still kept plugging away with splits of 1:36, 1:37 and 1:37 coming into the final 200m. I was feeling pretty knackered at this stage and it was hard to try and up my pace coming into the finishing straight but as I approached the final 80m or so somebody had caught me from behind so that was the motivation I needed to put in one last push and sprint for the finish, crossing the line with a time of 11:58 - sub 12 and a 7 second improvement on 4 weeks ago :D

Interestingly my garmin measured my distance at 1.92 Miles - over 0.05 miles longer than the distance of the race - probably had something to do with moving into the second lane to allow the leaders lap me but had I been able to stay in the inner lane I may have been about 10 or 15 seconds quicker...

1.92 Miles in 11:58. Average Pace 6:15.

Distance | 1 Mile | 3k | 5k | 4 Miles | 6k | 5 Miles | 10k | 10 Miles | Half Marathon | Marathon |
    Pre Log PB | 6:41 | 12:57 | 22:52 | 28:44 | 28:53 | 37:32 | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:46:03 | 4:10:01 |
    Current PB | 6:10 | 11:58 | 21:22 | 28:44 | 28:53 | 36:27 | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:46:03 | 4:10:01 |

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|123.71
    Total|276.66

Thursday 1st March
    5 mile recovery run on the treadmill. Pretty uneventful.

Friday 2nd March
    Made a last minute decision to enter the Meath Spring half marathon on Sunday and I plan to run it as an LSR. Had a rest day with this and Saturday's BHAA XC in mind and went for a swim instead.

• Advertisement

The warm up suggested this course was much flatter than 2 weeks ago in the Phoenix Park. Based on my 3k time on Wednesday night McMillan suggested an equivalent time of 27:18 for 4 miles so I felt I should be able to make a reasonable attempt at sub 28 on a cross country course.

Turning a corner right at the start of the race was far from ideal with a lot of congestion but the field soon stretched out and was well on target with my first mile split of 6:53. The pace slipped a little over the next 2 miles (7:07, 7:05) but I found myself passing a few others along the way. I found the final lap very tough as I was too far behind the runners in front to catch them so I just had to dig in and run as fast as I could without a target to catch. I was surprised at how much harder this felt than the finish in the supposedly tougher garda race... Maybe I hadn't pushed myself hard enough then or I held back too much worrying about the hills? Anyway I managed to maintain my pace and even as I ran down the finishing straight I had no one in front or behind me so my incentive for my sprint finish was given by the clock in the distance as it told me I was going to be very close to sub 28 which I just about snuck under in 27:57 - a another new PB by 47 seconds :)

3.98 Miles in 27:57. Average Pace 7:01.

Distance | 1 Mile | 3k | 5k | 4 Miles | 6k | 5 Miles | 10k | 10 Miles | Half Marathon | Marathon |
    Pre Log PB | 6:41 | 12:57 | 22:52 | 28:44 | 28:53 | 37:32 | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:46:03 | 4:10:01 |
    Current PB | 6:10 | 11:58 | 21:22 | 27:57 | 28:53 | 36:27 | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:46:03 | 4:10:01 |

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|123.71
    March|11.85
    Total|288.51

Decided to enter this on a whim on Friday morning and run it as a LSR as I wanted to support a local race and also felt I wouldn't be able to do myself justice / wouldn't be able to race it after the BHAA XC on Saturday.

My plan was to keep my HRR between 65% and 78% as recommended by P&D for long runs. I done little or no warm up and took off at an easy pace and was happy to let others run off ahead of me as the start was quite congested and hey I was only there for the craic anyway :)

Despite keeping my heart rate within my planned range my garmin was letting me know my mile splits and I was pleasantly surprised that bar the first mile all my splits were under 8 min mile pace which meant I was actually running at a faster pace than the half in the Phoenix Park last September and on course for a PB despite not exerting myself at all.

As I passed the clubhouse at approx half way I was feeling really good and feeling no aftereffects from yesterday and said to myself feck it if I was going to PB today I might as well do it in style and considerably upped my pace and started picking off a load of runners one by one. My mile splits were all coming in and around 7:30 now - the pace I would have tried to run at had I originally planned to race this.

Maybe it was because I hadn't pushed myself in the first half of the race but I was feeling really strong now. I must have passed 100's of runners and I'm pretty sure I wasn't passed at all for the last 8 or 9 miles. I got a sense of deja vu in the final mile as exactly as what had happened in the final mile of DCM last year it started bucketing down. Except this time it was hail stones :( This just drove me on to run faster and as I entered the track for the home straight I put the foot down and sprinted to the finish for a time of 1:41:48 (chip time 1:41:51) - a new PB by about 4 and a half minutes. Not bad for a training run I suppose :o

I felt so strong in the last few miles I probably could have ran for another hour at least as I had so much left in the tank. All in all I was very happy with my decision to run this one although my training plan for this week may suffer it was definitely worth it. 2 PB's in one weekend :cool:

13.19 Miles in 1:41:48. Average Pace 7:43.

Current PB | 6:10 | 11:58 | 21:22 | 27:57 | 28:53 | 36:27 | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:41:48 | 4:10:01 |

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|123.71
    March|25.96
    Total|302.62

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

2012 is def a PB odyssey for you - certainly last w-end anyway. Well done on both races.

Monday 5th March
    Just loosened out the legs with a 5 mile recovery run on the treadmill.

Tuesday 6th March
    Rest day from running so done some core & strength work. Done some of my usual exercises and had a go at part 1 of the strength exercises recommended by respected American coach Jay Johnson. Found these relatively easy compared to what I'm already doing so think I'll be having a go at parts 2 & 3 pretty soon which look a good bit tougher.

Wednesday 7th March
    General aerobic 9 mile run at lunchtime out to Booterstown and back. Legs were feeling a bit heavy for first few miles but loosened out after a while. Twas tough running into that wind :)
    9.29 Miles in 1:20:17. Average Pace 8:38.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|123.71
    March|40.38
    Total|317.04

Thursday 8th March
    5 mile recovery run on the treadmill.

Friday 9th March
    Done some core & strength training in the gym as I tapered for BHAA cross country.

• Advertisement

Memories of last year muckfest meant I was expecting something similar again today so was pleasantly surprised to discover how dry the course was on my warm up.

As I'd averaged 7 minute miles in Maynooth last week my plan was to try and run at a similar pace again today. I got into a rhythm on the first couple of laps and was happy with my mile splits of 6:49, 7:00 and 7:03. Despite having almost identical splits to last Saturday I was feeling much stronger today and upped my intensity for the last lap or so. At the time I wasn't sure whether I was getting faster or those in front were slowing down but I started overtaking people at ease. With most of the final lap to go my garmin beeped to tell me my 4 mile split of 6:56 giving me a time of 27:50 - 7 seconds faster than last week where I busted my gut in the final lap to get that time but now I was cruising at a faster pace in a longer race and feeling great :confused:

I had fears at this stage that I was going to blow up spectacularly in the final mile but I carried on and continued to pass a few others including someone who I wouldn't have been able to catch up with their dust as they left me for dead this time last year never mind overtake. As I entered the final field for the loop up to the finishing straight I was still running really well and thanks to a nice warning from a spectator I managed to hold off two people in a sprint finish who were coming up behind me for a time of 35:40 - a considerable improvement on my PB and all the more impressive considering the course was a good bit longer than 5 miles :)

Another race, another PB... Even I'm getting bored :D

5.17 Miles in 35:40. Average Pace 6:54

Current PB | 6:10 | 11:58 | 21:22 | 27:57 | 28:53 | 35:40 | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:41:48 | 4:10:01 |

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|123.71
    March|55.37
    Total|332.03

Sunday 11th March
    5 mile recovery run. Nice morning so did a couple of laps of Hartstown Park.

Monday 12th March
    Tempo Intervals on the treadmill. 3 x 10 mins @ 7:03 pace (8.5mph) with 2 min recovery jog. Based on my recent 3k time on the track my VDOT has raised to 48 from 46 and according to Daniels this means I should run my tempo intervals in and around 7:02 pace (previously been running them around 7:18). Really felt the step up in pace in the second and third interval but great to get through the session.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|123.71
    March|67.11
    Total|343.77

Tuesday 13th March
    Lunchtime run out to Booterstown and back. Probably the most tired and heavy legged I have felt on a run in a while. Will take it easy between now and Fr Murphy 5 miler on Saturday.

9.40 Miles in 1:22:35. Average Pace 8:47.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|123.71
    March|76.75
    Total|353.41

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

beeduybe wrote: »
    Tuesday 13th March
    Lunchtime run out to Booterstown and back. Probably the most tired and heavy legged I have felt on a run in a while. Will take it easy between now and Fr Murphy 5 miler on Saturday...

Same as that, absolutely knackered myself today too. Had 8 miles with 5 x 600m. Having Top Gear recorded was the only thing that got me through it!!
    What's the plan for Saturday?? might see you over there.

neilc wrote: »
    Same as that, absolutely knackered myself today too. Had 8 miles with 5 x 600m. Having Top Gear recorded was the only thing that got me through it!!
    What's the plan for Saturday?? might see you over there.

Had to read that twice. I had an image of you running with a portable TV but I'm guessing you done that session inside on the treadmill :)

A few weeks ago I was thinking I'd be doing well to get under 35 but after the XC at the weekend I think I could be capable of going a lot closer to a low 34. I'll probably try and run the first couple of miles somewhere between 6:45 and 7 mins and see how I'm feeling from there. How you set for Saturday? You going flat out or using it as a tempo run before Connemara?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

beeduybe wrote: »
    Had to read that twice. I had an image of you running with a portable TV but I'm guessing you done that session inside on the treadmill :)

A few weeks ago I was thinking I'd be doing well to get under 35 but after the XC at the weekend I think I could be capable of going a lot closer to a low 34. I'll probably try and run the first couple of miles somewhere between 6:45 and 7 mins and see how I'm feeling from there. How you set for Saturday? You going flat out or using it as a tempo run before Connemara?
    :D yeah should have said treadmill, I do most of my midweek runs on the treadmill until the evenings get brighter.
    Not too sure about Saturday myself, goal is 33:59 but with no real experience of shorter races not sure if it's possible. Never done a 5 miler before, only a few 10k's and one 5k but that was with my 13 year old daughter. Based on your recent form I reckon you're good to hit your goal of low 34 or even better.

neilc wrote: »
    :D yeah should have said treadmill, I do most of my midweek runs on the treadmill until the evenings get brighter.
    Not too sure about Saturday myself, goal is 33:59 but with no real experience of shorter races not sure if it's possible. Never done a 5 miler before, only a few 10k's and one 5k but that was with my 13 year old daughter. Based on your recent form I reckon you're good to hit your goal of low 34 or even better.

With all the mileage you have been putting in the last few months I'd say you will be in pretty good shape to do sub 34. I'll look out for the guy running with both feet off the ground on Saturday :D but if I don't spot you I look something like this

Wednesday 14th March
    Lunchtime: Easy 20 minute swim.

Evening: First week of block 1 of Meath Running Group training with core and conditioning work. New coach so slightly different approach than last year. Some of the exercises were similar to what I've been doing myself the last few months but while I might rest a few seconds between exercises this was more a case of moving straight from one to the other without recovery which made it a bit harder. Some other things were completely new to me.

Thursday 15th March
    Easy 5 mile recovery run on the treadmill to loosen out the legs.

Friday 16th March
    10 minute cycle followed by some stretching and core work. Taking it easy before race tomorrow.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|123.71
    March|83.49
    Total|361.89

This was shaping up to be a wet one as the heavens opened a couple of hours before the start and there were no signs of improvement during the journey to Kildalkey. Thankfully the rain started to ease off just as I started my warm up and there was little or no rain as the race started.

I knew beforehand that barring a complete disaster I was assured a PB so it was just a case of what time I could do it in. Sub 35 mins was the original target but after last weeks XC I felt I could go much faster than that and maybe even sub 34 if things went really well.

The plan was to try and stick between 6:45 and 7 min mile pace for the first couple of miles and take it from there. My pace was a little quicker than this for the first mile but wasn't overly concerned as I was feeling comfortable and just trying to slot into a position in the field I could maintain for the race.

6:27 was probably a little too fast for the first mile but despite slowing over the next two miles I stayed within my target pace and kept a couple of people in front of me in sight despite having to endure some cross country like conditions jumping in and out of puddles.

The third mile of the course provided some more variety as we ran through a wooded area and along a trail which was quite muddy in places. This was beginning to feel more like adventure racing than road running but was enjoying it all the same.

Running up the hill just before entering the wood I was passed by a runner who was looking really strong so I said I would try and keep with him and this was proving fruitful as it allowed me to pick up my pace and we passed 2 or 3 others who I had been pacing myself off earlier in the race.

As we exited the wood I knew from last year there was a pretty straight stretch of road for the last mile before turning into the housing estate where the finishing straight was located so decided to put the foot down from here and just go for the line. The stretch was a little longer than I remembered so was relieved when the turn finally came. I couldn't quite catch my pacesetter but was pleasantly surprised to see the clock showing a time of 33:18ish as I turned the final bend I put in one final push crossing the line in a time of 33:23 - a 4 minute improvement on my last 5 mile road race last July in the Phoenix Park.

My garmin measured the course at 4.92 miles. As everybody else I had spoken to afterwards had measured the course in and around that distance on their GPS I presumed the course was a little short and my real 5 mile time would have been just under 34 mins but Krusty put an interesting point forward regarding the accuracy of GPS watches on the event thread so having had a look at the satellite view on Garmin Connect which appears to suggest I ran through a few fields I think I will claim this as a 5 mile time and give me a good target to beat later in the year :)

Met neilc just before the start too. He was a bit anxious as it was his first 5 mile race but he need not have worried as he left me in his wake from an early stage on his way to a great time and performance.

4.92 Miles in 33:23. Average Pace 6:48.

Current PB | 6:10 | 11:58 | 21:22 | 27:57 | 28:53 | 33:23 | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:41:48 | 4:10:01 |

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|123.71
    March|91.71
    Total|370.11

Sunday 18th March
    Without a doubt the most stressful recovery run I've ever had. After a run in with a dog who snarled at me and attempted to bite me there was a considerable increase in my heart rate on account of my rage at the owner and my shock at the incident. After a few choice words thrown in the owners direction I carried on my run which turned out to be considerably longer than planned as I needed some run time to cool down :mad:

Monday 19th March
    Took advantage of the Bank Holiday and got in an LSR. Stayed with the GF on Sunday night so took the opportunity to try out a new route running from Clonsilla to the Phoenix Park, a loop of the park and then back to my starting point. There were a lot of ups and downs on the route and while they didn't appear too strenuous at the time my quads were screaming at me for the last few miles so I'm guessing they were just waking up again after my lack of hill work recently :(
    13.35 Miles in 2:01:59. Average Pace 9:08.

Tuesday 20th March
    Legs were feeling the effects of the weekends running so went to the gym and just had a very easy 15 minute cycle followed by some flexibility and core work.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|125.45
    March|112.73
    Total|391.13

• Advertisement

Wednesday 21st March
    BHAA cross country in Malahide rugby club. Didn't quite go all out in this one I was feeling quite tired and wanted to save myself for Dunboyne 4 miler on Sunday. Probably should have gave it a miss but decided to run it as it was the last cross country of the season and I was in contention to win division D of the winter league. League table has not been updated on the website yet but unless my maths are completely wrong I'll have to settle for second place.
    3.43 Miles in 23:18. Average Pace 6:47.

Thursday 22nd March
    Rest day. Knackered :(

Friday 23th March
    5 mile recovery run on the treadmill. Going to take it easy between now and Sunday.

Think I've been racing too much lately so going to cut back a little and concentrate on training for the next month. Will do Dunboyne on Sunday and BHAA race in Raheny next weekend with K Club 10k only race planned for April.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|125.45
    March|123.92
    Total|402.32

Saturday 24th March
    Easy 5 mile run with a few members of MRG. Was going to have a lie in and do my run later but woke up early so decided to take advantage of the good weather and meet up with the group.
    5.21 Miles in 45:53. Average Pace 8:48.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|125.45
    March|129.14
    Total|407.54

Before starting this log I would have said my best ever performance was the 28:44 time I ran in Dunboyne but such has been my improvement in the last few months that I would have been disgusted with a similar time this year especially having bettered that time during the XC season so I set myself a target of sub 27.

It was an unusually warm and humid day for March and I wondered would this have a negative effect on my performance but drank plenty of water beforehand to keep myself hydrated.

The big crowds meant the first mile was quite congested but once we got out of the village the crowd began to space out a bit. My first 2 miles were pretty quick (6:27, 6:29) but I was feeling good and knew that despite running quicker than my target pace I wasn't going too fast. I started to struggle a bit in the third mile and my pace slowed a little but got a second wind as we ran through the village for the second time as the cheers of the crowds seemed to drive me on.

As I approached the 3 mile marker I passed somebody who had finished ahead of me in Kildalkey the previous week who seemed to be struggling in the heat. My confidence was up now and I passed a few others. I was now a good bit behind a couple of people in front of me but I gradually reeled them in throughout the section through the housing estate before passing them at the same corner where the race started. Knowing the finish wasn't too far away at this point I upped my intensity, increased my stride and went hell for leather back towards the finish passing quite a few others - one of which said afterwards I flew past him like a train :). As I came around the bend towards the finish I seen the clock in the low 26's so I put in one final push for the line crossing it in a time of 26:14 on my watch (chip time 26:13) - yet another PB :pac:

I'm guessing the combination of my high mileage and core and strength work are really paying dividends at the end of all these races as I always feel really strong and pass loads of others in the final mile of a race when most others seem to be hanging on.

A lot of others seemed to suffer in the heat but I can't say I noticed it at all. I think all my sweaty speed work indoors on the treadmill over the winter in a stuffy gym really benefited me too as it simulated the conditions in Dunboyne in a strange kind of way...

All these races seem to be going spectacularly well. I have a feeling I'm due a bad day soon but I'll enjoy this one all the same :cool:

4.04 Miles in 26:14. Average Pace 6:29

Current PB | 6:10 | 11:58 | 21:22 | 26:14 | 28:53 | 33:23 | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:41:48 | 4:10:01 |

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|125.45
    March|136.67
    Total|415.07

Monday 26th March
    5 mile recovery run on the treadmill.

Tuesday 27th March
    Took advantage of the good weather for a run along the coast towards Blackrock and back. The lack of wind made this run a bit easier than usual.
    9.93 Miles in 1:24:49. Average Pace 8:33.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|125.45
    March|151.74
    Total|430.14

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great to meet you last night at the Meath Running Group.

That was a great session, not much breaks in between exercises, but at least we'll all have big strong arms in a few weeks:D

keep up the good work, you are flying at the minute!!

Younganne wrote: »
    Great to meet you last night at the Meath Running Group.

That was a great session, not much breaks in between exercises, but at least we'll all have big strong arms in a few weeks:D

keep up the good work, you are flying at the minute!!

Thanks Anne. Nice to finally meet you too. Yeah the session last night was very intense. First time I've felt any stiffness in my legs the following day since the marathon. I hope this means its working :)

Wednesday 28th March
    Core & strength training with MRG. This was pretty tough as it was a lot more intense than I'm used to and really felt it in the legs afterwards. Done a warm up and cool down on the track too totaling about 4 miles altogether.

Thursday 29th March
    Attempted a 5 mile recovery run on the treadmill but cut it short at 3.66 miles as my legs were still feeling the effects of the previous nights session.

Friday 30th March
    Rest day before the BHAA 4 miler. Done some stretching to try and loosen out the legs.

After last weeks 4 mile PB in Dunboyne I felt I should be able to able to achieve a similar or better time on another fast, flat course in Raheny. Last week I averaged 6:30 min miles so plan was to try and stay in and around this pace. I took off at what I felt was a comfortable pace so was surprised to see my average pace was near 6 min miles about half way through the first mile. I think the congestion in Dunboyne allowed me to pace myself a bit better there although I noticed a couple of people who I had finished ahead of during the XC season just ahead of me so thought the pace might be OK. I subsequently learned that some people are a lot faster on the road as I never got anywhere near them from this point on.

As I passed the 1 mile marker in a time of 6:22 I really started to feel pain in my legs and realised I was still feeling the effects of the strength training on Wednesday and despite my best efforts it was definitely slowing me down and knew as I passed the halfway point in 13:10 that I wasn't going to match my time of the previous week.

I felt I was giving my all in the last 2 miles and even managed to pass a few others but I just couldn't go any faster or reach the pace I knew I was capable of. Despite my legs screaming at me coming down the finishing straight I still managed a sprint finish of sorts and crossed the line in 26:49 - over 30 seconds slower than the previous weekend. Judging by the photo I seen of myself on the finishing straight I was either really determined or grimacing in pain and to be honest it was probably more of the latter as I didn't feel as strong at this stage as I normally do and was just holding on. I must have jinxed myself saying I was due a bad day after the last race :rolleyes: Having said that I would have been happy had I ran this time in Dunboyne. My expectations had just risen considerably since then.

4.00 Miles in 26:49. Average Pace 6:42.

Sunday 1st April
    5 mile recovery run after the race on Saturday.

Monday 2nd April
    Had to bring my car into the garage for a service so decided that rather than go looking for a lift home I'd take the opportunity to run home taking a 'long cut' and make an LSR out of it. Last year when training for DCM I always took a few gels on these runs but decided to go without for this run and see how I got on. The result was a long hard struggle for the last 5 miles as I became glycogen depleted and this resulted in a reduction in pace but on the plus side I managed to finish the run without stopping and walking which was something I probably gave in too easily to do last year.
    15.79 Miles in 2:21:57. Average Pace 8:59.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|125.45
    March|168.66
    April|20.90
    Total|467.96

• Advertisement

Had a weeks holidays so my training wasn't as consistent as usual but still got a decent amount of miles in.

Wednesday 4th April
    Rather than wait around all day for the core training class in Navan I went for an easy 4.5 mile run in the morning and done some core work myself as this allowed me to go up to Blanch for the rest of the evening and go see the Hunger Games with the GF. The film was better than expected pacman.gif

Thursday 5th - Sunday 8th April
    Went up to Cavan for a few days rest, relaxation and even a little bit of running. No shortage of hills around Shercock and picked out a nice hilly 4.5 mile loop which I ran on both the Friday and Saturday. I think it was my first ever multi county run too as I passed a 'Welcome to Co Monaghan' sign during the run smile.gif
    4.42 Miles in 37:07. Average Pace 8:24.

Monday 9th April
    Back home again and a lovely wet morning for an LSR rolleyes.gif Despite the constant rain I found the run quite enjoyable despite the long drag of a hill at Tara.
    13.56 Miles in 2:01:39. Average Pace 8:58.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|125.45
    March|168.66
    April|48.18
    Total|495.24

Advertisement