Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Under the Influence of Jack Daniels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Best of luck with the plan, hope to be at the start line with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

beeduybe wrote: »
    2 mile warm up, 4 miles at 7:00 to 7:15 pace and 2 mile cool down.

Splits for the 4 miles at LT pace were 7:14, 7:19, 7:11 and 7:03.

That's a good progression in splits. The last mile probably felt hard as it was your fastest!

BTW, where in the book did you get the 7:00 to 7:15 pace from?

I was under the impression that LT miles should be run between current 10-mile to Half-Marathon race pace - slower runners should choose their 10-mile race pace and faster runners should choose their HM race pace ...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

I was under the impression that LT miles should be run between current 10-mile to Half-Marathon race pace

Based on my recent 10k race time the McMillan calculator gives me an equivalent performance of 1:09:57 (7:00 pace) for 10 miles and 1:32:54 (7:06 pace) for HM so I'm using this as a guideline for pace. I haven't ran either distance lately but I'd be pretty sure that if I did I wouldn't be a million miles away from those times plus this pace fits in with the target heart rates in the P&D book.
    slower runners should choose their 10-mile race pace and faster runners should choose their HM race pace ...

This seems a bit vague. How do you define a faster or a slower runner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I remember when I was training for sub 3.30 I was doing my LT at around 7.15 at first but by the end of the programme I was holding closer to 7 min/mile. I think this is a good pace for Beeduybe as he is hoping to go well under 3:30 (all going well).

Remember if you haven't done a half or a 10 miler recently then your current pace for that distance might be a lot faster than your actual PB. Also there shouldn't be more than a few seconds/mile between 10m/HM pace.

Tuesday 26th June
    Plan was to go out to Trinity at lunchtime and do a recovery run on the grass around the cricket pitch. However for the first time in 2 years of going down there for a lunchtime run, today was the first time there actually was a cricket match on so had to abandon the plan to run around the pitch and took to the streets instead covering about 3.5 miles. Don't they know it's MY training ground?? :confused::D:cool:

• Advertisement

Wednesday 27th June
    A slight variation on P&D's 9 mile general aerobic run. I decided to include the club interval training in the middle of the run. As our usual track was being used for juvenile championships the session was switched to the track in Bohermeen.

Arrived at the track well before 7 so had time to get in a few miles before the session. Was going to do this on the track but then decided to do the Bohermeen 5k route as I knew the distance beforehand and it offered some different scenery as well. Joined in the 1 mile warm up with the group to take me up to 4.3 miles before the intervals started.

The pyramid session was split into intervals of 2, 3, 4, 3 and 2 minutes.
    Hoped to keep these around 5k pace (6:25ish) as P&D recommend the VO2max intervals to be done at this pace and I wanted to get used to running at the pace as I have a 5k race next week so happy with the average pace of 6:23.
    2.20 Miles in 14:00. Average Interval Pace 6:23.

I had about 2.5 miles left to make up the 9 miles so extended the cool down by a few extra laps.

Thursday 28th June
    40 minutes on the gym bike followed by some stretching.

Friday 29th June
    4 Mile Recovery Run in 37:21. Average Pace 9:36.

Month|Miles
    June|129.69
    Total|862.97

Saturday 30th June
    The plan was 13 miles with 8 @ PMP but as I'm not entirely sure what my PMP is I decided to try and run it within the HR ranges as recommended in the P&D book for MP runs (163-180 bpm or 73%-84% of HRR).

A couple of others in the running group were meeting for an easy run so planned to do the first 4 or 5 miles with them and then up my intensity from then on to MP effort. However one of the girls boyfriends also turned up who is a faster runner than me and he said he would do the session with me.

The first few miles were run at a good pace gradually getting faster as the run progressed. When the Garmin clocked the first MP effort mile at 7:36 I wondered were we going too fast but the HRM was suggesting that this wasn't the case. The next 3 miles were ran in 7:33, 7:18 (downhill) and 7:26 and I was still comfortably inside the HR range. The HR got a bit higher in the next few miles but never went above the recommended range and we finished with mile splits of 7:28, 7:33, 7:35 and an average pace of 7:37 for the final .66 of a mile.

Considering I would have thought that my MP would have been somewhere between 7:45 and 8:00, I ran every MP effort mile quicker than this running by heart rate and not pace it offers encouragement that I should be able to run a good bit quicker than 3:30 come October although a couple more miles at that pace probably would have brought me above the max HR so won't be making any bold predictions just yet. 26.2 miles is a long way...

I was lucky I had someone else to run with as I think I would have found it a lot harder to do on my own especially in the last few miles.

12.66 Miles with 7.66 @ MP Effort in 1:39:43. Average MP Effort 7:31.

Month|Miles
    June|142.35
    Total|875.63

Plan for Week 2 is:
    Monday |Tuesday |Wednesday |Thursday |Friday |Saturday/Sunday
    10 Mile General Aerobic |Recovery Run|SOH 5k Race| Recovery Run| 14 Mile MSR| Recovery Run?

The plan this week calls for midweek GA runs of 8 miles (with 10 x 100m strides) and 10 miles. However I am going to run the South O'Hanlon 5k on Wednesday so I decided to do the 10 miles on Monday and the race instead of the 8 miles then on Wednesday.

Already done this weeks prescribed long run last weekend so I'll do next weeks session a week early on Friday with a 14 mile MSR. Going down to Wexford for a wedding at the weekend and not sure if I'll get a chance to get a run in down there so moved it a day forward.

Monday 2nd July

10 mile general aerobic run. Somehow managed to avoid a downpour this afternoon for my run out to Blackrock and back. The Garmin lost satellite reception at the start and went a bit crazy, telling me I was running at 4:00 min mile pace before getting back to normal but it does explain the unusually fast first mile of 7:45. The rest of the run stayed between the planned 8:30 and 9 min mile pace.
    10.04 Miles in 1:26:05. Average Pace 8:35.

Month|Miles
    July|10.04
    Total|885.67

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You a time in mind for Wednesday evening beeduybe, is it a sub 20 course??

Saturday 30th June
    The plan was 13 miles with 8 @ PMP but as I'm not entirely sure what my PMP is I decided to try and run it within the HR ranges as recommended in the P&D book for MP runs (163-180 bpm or 73%-84% of HRR).

HI Beeduybe, just a little word of advice. P&D are extremely vague in their definition of marathon HR as you can see in the wide range they prescribe. It's not that the idea is to keep within the lower and upper limits rather that some people can hold 84% of HRR for a whole marathon while for others this would cause a complete blowup. To be honest you will not know your own ideal value until after running your perfect marathon and even then it may change according to how well trained you are. (for my first 2 'really good' marathons I held about 154 or 77% of HRR for my latest one I held 159 or 80%HRR).

So I'd be wary of training exclusively to HR as you are really just guessing...... that said a decent indicator might be if you have run a really good half recently, one where you pushed yourself to the max? I'd take your av HR from that minus 10-15bom to be a decent indicator of what you might be able to hold for a Marathon...

Good training anyways...

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    You a time in mind for Wednesday evening beeduybe, is it a sub 20 course??

Sub 20 is the target but there is quite a few ups and downs so that might add a few extra seconds but sub 20 I think is achievable if the race is paced well.

You going for sub 20 yourself?

menoscemo wrote: »
    HI Beeduybe, just a little word of advice. P&D are extremely vague in their definition of marathon HR as you can see in the wide range they prescribe. It's not that the idea is to keep within the lower and upper limits rather that some people can hold 84% of HRR for a whole marathon while for others this would cause a complete blowup. To be honest you will not know your own ideal value until after running your perfect marathon and even then it may change according to how well trained you are. (for my first 2 'really good' marathons I held about 154 or 77% of HRR for my latest one I held 159 or 80%HRR).

So I'd be wary of training exclusively to HR as you are really just guessing...... that said a decent indicator might be if you have run a really good half recently, one where you pushed yourself to the max? I'd take your av HR from that minus 10-15bom to be a decent indicator of what you might be able to hold for a Marathon...

Good training anyways...

Cheers I appreciate your advice. Not planning on running a half until September but I'll try not to rely on the HR so much for future MP runs.

Sub 20 is the target but there is quite a few ups and downs so that might add a few extra seconds but sub 20 I think is achievable if the race is paced well.

You going for sub 20 yourself?

Same as that, if i pace it right sub 20 is the goal. Best of luck.

Cheers I appreciate your advice. Not planning on running a half until September but I'll try not to rely on the HR so much for future MP runs.

I'm not saying don't use it at all, I always keep an eye on my HR, but maybe try to stick to the lower to middle end of the scale of that P&D recommends for now. Your HR will likely drift up at the end of a marathon anyway.

Despite not tapering and really not being in the mood for a race I made my way over to Seneschalstown just outside Navan for this 5k. Decided beforehand to switch my Garmin from miles to km as my target was to try and sneak under 20 mins so it would be easier to monitor pace (try and keep it around or under 4 min k's) as well as providing shorter splits.

However I only decided to change this before starting my warmup. Changed the lap distance to 0.62 miles. Grand. Started the warmup but a look at the watch revealed an average pace of 9:xx. Realised it was still showing pace in miles so stopped it again but after several minutes of going through all the functions on the watch I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to change the average pace to km's so switched the lap time back to a mile and got on with the warm up.

Went through the 1k marker in 3:50 so was well on course ahead of the hardest part of the course which brought us up a couple of inclines to half way. I was feeling good at this stage and started passing quite a few people on the first hill. Went through first mile in 6:18 which was fine. The second mile was definitely the hardest part of the course as it provided a long drag up towards the church but I knew once we reached the church a there was more downhill than up to come.

The second mile beeped at 6:41 which probably ruled out any hope of a sub 20. Focused on trying to catch a few others ahead of me but wasn't having much luck as I wasn't closing the distance. As I passed the 4k marker the watch showed 16:12ish I upped my intensity again for the last stretch back towards the GAA pitch. When the finishing clock came into view I could just about make out 19:xx so thought for a split second I could sneak under 20 but then the PA announced someone coming in at 19:58 so knew it was out of my reach then but still managed a sprint finish passing a few others and stopped the watch at 20:09 (chip time 20:11).

Working from memory and looking back at the Garmin the KM splits went something like this:
    • 3:50
    • 4:05
    • 4:11
    • 4:07
    • 3:56
    Pretty happy with how the race went considering the lack of a taper and the toughness of the course.

3.12 Miles in 20:09. Average Pace 6:28.

You were beside me more or less till up to just before the rise to the church i would say, it was a tough enough course in fairness. You still have me by 2 seconds PB wise though!! Try shave those off in Kinnegad next Wednesday evening.

Tuesday 3rd June
    3.98 Mile Recovery Run in 37:21. Average Pace 9:24.

Wednesday 4th June
    7 miles including warm up, 5k race and then ran the course in reverse for a cool down.

Thursday 5th June
    40 minute recovery cycle on the gym bike.

Friday 6th June
    Moved my long run forward to Friday as didn't think I'd have a chance to get it in during the weekend so mapped out a pretty random 14 mile route around the Phoenix Park and made my way out there after work. The rain wasn't letting up at all so I was pretty soaked by the time I finished up 2 hours later but it was kinda nice and refreshing all the same.
    14.16 Miles in 2:07:15. Average Pace 8:59.

Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th June
    Spend the weekend down in Wexford at a wedding. Brought my gear with me on the off chance I might get a run in but it never happened.

Monday 9th June
    Couldn't go 3 days in a row without some sort of run so got out for 4.5 miles of running / jumping in and out of puddles.
    4.46 Miles in 39:23. Average Pace 8:50.

Plan for this week is:
    Monday |Tuesday |Wednesday |Thursday |Friday |Saturday|Sunday
    Short Run|10 Miles GA|Recovery Run|8 Miles with 4 @ LT|Recovery Run|15 Mile MSR|Rest or Recovery Run

Month|Miles
    July|39.96
    Total|915.60

Tuesday 10th July
    Had to hang around Kells for a couple of hours so made the most of my spare time by doing my 10 mile GA run around some new scenery. It didn't seem like I was running any harder than my usual easy runs but my pace was a good bit quicker.
    9.91 Miles in 1:23:40. Average Pace 8:27.

Wednesday 11th July
    Rest/cross training day. Went down to Powerscourt for the day so got in plenty of walking and even some rock climbing :)

Thursday 12th July
    8 miles with 4 @ LT pace. My second lactate threshold session of the plan. Find these sessions quite tough mentally especially the third mile at LT pace but am getting through them nonetheless. Splits were a little up and down (7:08, 6:59, 7:11, 7:01) but in and around my planned pace so cant complain.
    7.86 Miles with 4 @ LT Pace in 1:02:57. Average LT Pace 7:05.

Month|Miles
    July|57.74
    Total|933.37

Friday 13th July
    Recovery Run around the track.
    5.01 Miles in 45:58. Average Pace 9:11.

Saturday 14th July
    Plan was 15 miles. Realised just before I had left the house that I had forgotten to charge the garmin so hoped it would last til the end of the run. Battery died after about 12 miles but luckily the person I was running with had a watch so got the distance covered and time. Pace slowed as the run progressed but that was because my partner was struggling but I felt comfortable throughout.
    About 14.5 Miles in about 2:11. Average Pace 9:05.

Month|Miles
    July|77.25
    Total|952.88

• Advertisement

P&D 55 Miles Week 4/18

Plan for this week is:
    10 Miles GA|5 Mile Recovery|Oldcastle 5k Race|Cross Training|Recovery Run|16 Miles with 10 @ PMP|Rest or Recovery Run

Monday 16th July
    General Aerobic Run. Pretty uneventful. It rained. I got wet :)
    9.99 Miles in 1:25:21. Average Pace 8:33.

Month|Miles
    July|87.23
    Total|962.87

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

P&D 55 Miles Week 4/18

Monday 16th July
    General Aerobic Run. Pretty uneventful. It rained. I got wet :)
    9.99 Miles in 1:25:21. Average Pace 8:33.

:eek: thats terrible, and it the middle of summer:rolleyes:

Younganne wrote: »
    :eek: thats terrible, and it the middle of summer:rolleyes:

At this stage if it wasn't raining I'd be worried :) No doubt it will be an absolute scorcher on the 29th October though...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

At this stage if it wasn't raining I'd be worried :) No doubt it will be an absolute scorcher on the 29th October though...:cool:

well now don't go wishing for that......dry and calm will do!!!!(the weather;)) not too many people will be calm!!!

Oldcastle 5k
    After failing to break 20 mins in the South O’Hanlon 5k a couple of weeks ago I wasn’t overly confident I was going to be able to knock 10+ seconds off my time considering I came into the race with a similar preparation of heavy mileage and no taper. Got there in plenty of time and collected by number and got a good warm up in. I figured out how to change the pace to km on the garmin this time so plan was to try and stay around/below 4:00 km pace.

Just as the race was about to start the rain started to come down but luckily we weren’t standing around in it too long as the whistle went off to start the race. The first k of the race is an immediate downhill section, a loop around a housing estate before going back up the starting hill so plan was to try and bank a few seconds on the downhill and reach 1k marker in around 3:50. I managed to position myself pefectly at the start of the race for a change as I wasn’t going around/through people or runners having to go around me for the first 200 or 300m. As I passed the 1k marker the marshall called out 3:51. Lovely jubbly. Was feeling good at this stage and maintained my stride in the second k which the garmin showed as 4:02.

The third k brought us down a country road and I was feeling really good here and started passing quite a few people. Looked at the watch at halfway and it showed 10:00 so I grew confident knowing there was more downhill than up to come. Someone who I knew was a good runner was just in front of me so I tried to keep as close to her as I could. We came out of the end of the country road and back onto a main road which had a slight downhill towards the 4k marker.

I wasn’t making any ground on my target but we were passing quite a few people who were struggling. Looked at the watch at 4k and it showed 16:00. This gave me a great incentive to put in a big effort in the last k to get under 20 mins. I ran the last k in the warm up so knew the last 200m or so of the race is a gradual incline which gets steeper and steeper as you get closer to the finish. The girl I was chasing was out of sight at this stage so I was running on my own and it felt like I had nothing left for a kick up the final hill when a relative of mine came up from behind and passed me. Suddenly I found some extra juice I didn’t know was in the tank and conjured up a sprint to overtake them and cross the line with the watch reading 19:56 (Chip 19:57).

I was pretty spent after crossing the line so I wandered over to the side to get my breath back. Two aul lads who had obviously wandered out of the pub to see what the commotion was all about came up to me and started asking a load of bizarre random questions like ‘Did you run 17K?’ :confused::confused: etc but I was too knackered to get into conversation just gave one word answers before they congratulated me on my effort…

My HR showed as 205 at the finish which is interesting I thought my max was 203 as I’d reached that at the end of many races before but never any higher.

KM splits according to the Garmin were:
    3:52, 4:02, 4:06, 4:01, 3:50 (+ 5 secs for final 0.02k)

3.13 Miles in 19:56. Average Pace 6:23.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Great effort, well done on PB, Its amazing when you think you have nothing in the tank but you still pull out a sprint finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Knightmove

Just catching up on your log. Well done on the 5k pb ....everything is heading in the right direction!

Tuesday 17th July
    5.13 Mile Recovery Run in 47:55. Average Pace 9:21.

Wednesday 18th July
    7.78 Miles including Oldcastle 5k race, warm up and cool down.

Thursday 19th July
    40 minute cycle on gym bike followed by some core work.

Friday 20th July
    4.20 Mile Recovery Run in 40:18. Average Pace 9:36.

Saturday 21st July
    16 Miles with 10 @ PMP. Ran the first 6 miles at an easy pace with a few others who were just doing an LSR before pulling away to run the last 10 at my planned marathon pace (somewhere between 7:45 and 8:00). Felt relatively comfortable throughout the 10 MP miles but found the last few miles tough but managed to maintain the pace.
    15.96 Miles with 9.96 Miles @ PMP in 2:11:24. Average MP Miles 7:46.

Month|Miles
    July|120.39
    Total|996.02

P&D 55 Miles Week 5/18

Plan for this week is:
    5 Mile Recovery|9 Miles with 5 @ LT|Interval Training|Cross Training|Recovery Run|Long Run|Rest or Recovery Run

Monday 23rd July
    5.04 Mile Recovery Run in 46:57. Average Pace 9:20.

Reached the 1000 Mile mark for 2012 this afternoon during my recovery run in a balmy 22 degrees :D

Month|Miles
    July|120.39
    Total|1,001.12

• Advertisement

Tuesday 24th July
    I was hoping for cooler conditions than yesterday for today's LT run and boy did I get it. A constant downpour for my 9 miles with 5 @ LT :rolleyes: but I can't really complain as I'd rather it be too wet than too warm for these types of runs.

After a 2 mile warm up I settled into the LT miles. Plan was to try and keep the pace between 7:00 and 7:15 pace. Probably started a bit too fast as I tried to adjust to the faster pace so my first mile was 7:02 before settling into the run and my splits for the next four miles were 7:18, 7:12, 7:11 and 7:12. Despite being a mile longer than my previous LT runs this felt a bit easier so hopefully that means I'm getting used to them. Finished with 2 mile cool down.

9.26 Miles with 5 Miles @ LT Pace in 1:12:37. Average LT Pace 7:11.

Month|Miles
    July|134.79
    Total|1,010.43

Advertisement