Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Under the Influence of Jack Daniels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great running Barry, you seem to have this P&D nailed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Younganne wrote: »
    Great running Barry, you seem to have this P&D nailed!!!

Thanks Anne. Still early days but everything falling into place so far. Well done on getting in all your runs on your holidays.

Wednesday 25th July
    10.25 Miles including MRG Interval Training. The plan called for 10 miles so I decided to incorporate the group interval training into this. Made my way to the track early and got in 5 miles before the session started. 5 sets of 3 mins covering around 800m each time. Some of the faster runners were missing so found myself leading the pack on the intervals. Finished up with an additional 2.5 miles to take me up to the 10.
    2.59 Miles in 15:00. Average Pace 5:46.

Thursday 26th July
    Was a bit strapped for time but still managed to get in a 30 minute cycle on the gym bike.

Friday 27th July
    5 Mile Recovery Run in 48:42. Average Pace 9:41.

Month|Miles
    July|150.04
    Total|1,025.68

Saturday 28th July
    Doing the recovery week the opposite way to the P&D plan by doing Sat-Fri instead of Mon-Sun. Started with 13.19 Miles in 1:59:30. Average Pace 9:04.

Sunday 29th July
    Went for a 3 mile walk so I'll chalk that off as cross training.

Monday |Tuesday |Wednesday |Thursday |Friday |Saturday|Sunday
    8 Miles GA|Recovery Run|8 Miles with 10x100m strides|Cross Training|Recovery Run|18 Mile LSR|Rest or Recovery Run

Monday 30th July
    8 General Aerobic Miles in 1:07:56. Average Pace 8:30.
    Was undecided beforehand to do my 8 miles with strides today or Wednesday but legs were feeling a bit heavy today so decided to leave them until later in the week.

Month|Miles
    July|171.27
    Total|1,046.91

Tuesday 31st July
    Finished up my highest mileage month ever with a 5 Mile Recovery Run in 44:03. Average Pace 8:51.

Wednesday 1st August
    8 miles with 10x100m strides. My first time doing one of these runs with strides as I had a race or done interval training instead in other weeks they were prescribed. I didn't really know how to judge how long 100m was so I kept the strides between 15 and 20 seconds.
    7.80 Miles in 1:04:29. Average Pace 8:13.

Thursday 2nd August
    A 3 mile run at recovery pace to loosen out the legs before 18 Mile LSR the following day.

Friday 3rd August
    Had to move my 18 Mile LSR a day forward so mapped out a route which was quite undulating and included going up by the hill of Tara as I felt I needed to get some more hills into my training. This was also the longest run I'd ever done without any energy gels as I wanted to teach my body to run on depleted glycogen stores for the last few miles. Started to feel the effects of the hills in my quads around the 11 mile mark and the lack of glycogen kicked in for the last 2 or 3 miles but the pace didn't drop.
    18.08 Miles in 2:33:21. Average Pace 8:29.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|125.45
    March|168.66
    April|161.43
    May|124.79
    June|142.35
    July|176.25
    August|28.92
    Total|1,080.81

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Great training Barry!! You're flying.

neilc wrote: »
    Great training Barry!! You're flying.

Thanks Neil. You're putting in great mileage yourself. Is this your first time following the P&D 55-70 mile plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Yeah first time on this plan alright. Finding it ok so far, luckily I've a very understanding OH.

P&D 55 Mile Plan Week 7
    1 Mesocycle down, 3 to go :)

Saturday 4th August
    Rest day. Felt really fresh after the long run the evening before and legs weren't sore at all which makes a big change from last year.

Sunday 5th August
    7.30 mile recovery in 1:08:04 with 6 x 100m strides. Average Pace 9:20.
    Kept this nice and slow, around 9:30 pace before introducing the strides in the last mile. Strides felt a lot more natural than my last attempt.

Monday 6th August
    11 Mile Medium Long Run. Got out nice and early on a bank holiday Monday for this one. Most people must have been having a lie in on account of the lack of traffic around.
    11.14 Miles in 1:34:52. Average Pace 8:31.

Tuesday 7th August
    Cross training day. 40 mins on the gym bike followed by some core work.

Month|Miles
    August|47.36
    Total|1,099.25

Wednesday 8th August
    4.85 Mile Recovery Run in 46:12. Average Pace 9:32.

Thursday 9th August
    10 Miles with 5 @ LT (7:00 to 7:15). Weather was more humid than I would have liked for this run. After a 2 mile warm up I started into the LT miles. First 2 miles went fine in 7:04 and 7:07 but then had to take an unexpected recovery period for about a minute or so as I got stuck at a level crossing :( This threw off my momentum and I had to try and adjust the pace again after a fast start and both my next 2 miles were 7:00. Was finding the heat tough at this stage and consciously tried to slow it down a bit in the final mile resulting in a split of 7:12. Finished with a 3 mile cool down.
    9.88 Miles with 5 @ LT pace in 1:17:22. Average LT Pace 7:05.

Friday 10th August
    3.91 Mile Recovery Run in 37:00. Average Pace 9:28.

Saturday 11th August
    20 miles was planned for this morning. All was going well until around mile 7 when I felt a slight twinge in my hamstring but by mile 15 this had gotten a lot worse so stopped to try and stretch it out. Was still sore so decided to cut out a couple of miles of my route and head back to the starting point. Hopefully it's nothing too serious and some RICE will do the trick.
    17.66 Miles in 2:33:16. Average Pace 8:41.

Month|Miles
    August|83.66
    Total|1,135.54

• Advertisement

Monday 13th August
    Despite having a rest day on Sunday my hamstring was still feeling a bit sore so decided to have another days rest from running and took to the gym bike instead for some cross training.

Going to try a run at recovery pace tomorrow to see how the hamstring is. Will see how that goes before deciding on my runs for the rest of the week before the Slane 10 miler on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

beeduybe wrote: »
    Monday 13th August
    Despite having a rest day on Sunday my hamstring was still feeling a bit sore so decided to have another days rest from running and took to the gym bike instead for some cross training.

Going to try a run at recovery pace tomorrow to see how the hamstring is. Will see how that goes before deciding on my runs for the rest of the week before the Slane 10 miler on Sunday.

That's a shame on the hammer. Definitely easy off the pace on tomorrow's run. Might be no harm to wear compression shorts as well. They'll help keep the muscles warm.
    The only other suggestion is to give Biofreeze a go if you haven't already.
    The only good thing is hamstrings will recover quick enough compared to joint or tendon injuries

That's a shame on the hammer. Definitely easy off the pace on tomorrow's run. Might be no harm to wear compression shorts as well. They'll help keep the muscles warm.
    The only other suggestion is to give Biofreeze a go if you haven't already.
    The only good thing is hamstrings will recover quick enough compared to joint or tendon injuries

Thanks, the pain is pretty mild but I don't want to risk causing some longer term damage so I'm proceeding with caution. Compression shorts and biofreeze are being put to use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

A good bit of advice I got last year was to start including some core work - exercises like planks, side planks, bridges etc. They're not easy, but glutes, hammers etc can suffer if you're doing increased mileage with a weak core. The good news is that they don't take much time - 20 mins, once a week will go a long way.

macinalli wrote: »
    A good bit of advice I got last year was to start including some core work - exercises like planks, side planks, bridges etc. They're not easy, but glutes, hammers etc can suffer if you're doing increased mileage with a weak core. The good news is that they don't take much time - 20 mins, once a week will go a long way.

I was doing a good bit of core work earlier in the year but with the increased mileage in recent months I've been starting to neglect it a bit. Will have to get back into the habit of doing it at least once a week.

The first week of P&D where I didn't really follow the plan at all.

Tuesday 14th August
    6 Mile Recovery Run in 58:17. Took this real easy and didn't feel any pain in the hamstring at all. Felt some pain when I tried to stretch it afterwards though.

Wednesday 15th August
    My first treadmill run in some time. Got in 5 Miles in 42:46. Forgot how boring the treadmill was compared to outside. Hamstring felt fine.

Thursday 16th August
    Was supposed to have a physio appointment on Thurs evening but had to postpone it until next week when something else came up at the last minute. Luckily my hamstring was not bothering me anymore so I could afford to wait a bit longer. Scrapped my plan for a rest day and got in 5.99 Miles in the rain in 50:31. Average Pace 8:26.

Friday 17th August
    8 mile general aerobic run at lunchtime. Felt unusually lethargic for this particular run and really didn't enjoy it at all.
    8.06 Miles in 1:08:25. Average Pace 8:29.

Saturday 18th August
    Slane 10 miler on Sunday so just a 4.43 Mile Recovery Run in 41:28. Average Pace 9:22.

Slane 10 Miles
    My first race in a month due to concentrating on getting in some pretty heavy mileage due to DCM training. Hamstring problems the previous weekend meant that I took it easier than planned for the past week so got sort of taper for this race.

I was confident I was in good enough shape to go under 70 mins for 10 Miles but also knew that this was quite an undulating course so wasn't sure how much that would slow me down but plan was to try and stay around 7 min miles.

The first mile (6:55) was just really about getting myself into position and found myself settling into a group of 4 or 5. I knew that miles 1 - 3 were probably the toughest stretch of the course and with a gap already opening up in front I decided to stay with the group and which worked out well as we worked together without expending too much energy although this resulted in the slowest miles of the race (7:11, 7:15).

Splits of 6:46 and 7:07 for the next 2 miles showed that we had a strong downhill section followed by an uphill drag to halfway. 2 or 3 of the group started to pull away on the downhill but I kept them in sight. A look at the watch at the 5 mile marker showed me a few seconds over 35 mins so still well placed to go sub 70.

Miles 6 and 7 saw us turn onto the main Navan-Slane road which started with a pretty severe downhill section followed by a couple of pretty steep inclines. Splits of 6:57 and 7:03 kept me on pace.

It was around 7.5 miles where we entered Slane village where I really started to feel rough so I just tried to dig in and this actually resulted in an increase in pace and for the first time since early in the race I started passing people who were struggling a lot more than I was.

The race turned into a trail run for the last mile and a half as we entered a wooded area of the Slane Castle grounds which resembled some cross country conditions due to the recent bad weather. I must have lost signal on my Garmin around here too as it went a bit crazy for a while.

By the last mile I was praying for the finish line and it didn't help that I could see the finish line with about half a mile left but still had to do another loop of a farm area and then another loop around by the castle when I could see the finish line again :mad:

Thankfully I finally reached the finishing straight and with nobody near enough in front or behind me for a sprint finish I just cruised towards the line and stopped my watch. To my surprise it showed 1:08:55 and the chip was a second better than that - 1:08:54 for 25th place :eek:

A 13 minute PB since my last 10 miler a year ago leaving the marathon to complete the set for 2012...

9.91 Miles in 1:08:55. Average Pace 6:58.

Month|Miles
    August|125.11
    Total|1,176.99

Distance | 1 Mile | 3k | 5k | 4 Miles | 6k | 5 Miles | 10k | 10 Miles | Half Marathon | Marathon |
    Pre Log PB | 6:41 | 12:57 | 22:52 | 28:44 | 28:53 | 37:32 | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:46:03 | 4:10:01 |
    Current PB | 6:10 | 11:58 | 19:47 | 26:13 | 24:20 | 33:23 | 41:45 | 1:08:54 | 1:41:48 | 4:10:01 |

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thats smashing running on that course, well done. Easily go quicker on a flatter 10 miler.

tang1 wrote: »
    Thats smashing running on that course, well done. Easily go quicker on a flatter 10 miler.

Thanks it was a real confidence booster. How did you get on yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

beeduybe wrote: »
    Thanks it was a real confidence booster. How did you get on yourself?

A bout of plantar fasciitis has knocked my running back a few weeks unfortunately.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    A bout of plantar fasciitis has knocked my running back a few weeks unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed you're back to full fitness soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Impressive running on that Beeduybe, well done. Onwards and upwards from here.

Well done Barry, great run on a tough course and it was fairly warm in Meath today....you can enjoy the hols now knowing that your hard work is really showing in your times. You have great times in all your races...well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Really impressive running especially last 5 miles on a tough course, hope the next 9 weeks go well for you.

Monday 20th August
    Legs felt very stiff on Sunday night and Monday morning after the race so just went out to grass in Trinity for a leg loosening 4.90 Mile Recovery Run in 48:09. Average Pace 9:50.

Tuesday 21st August
    Ran out by Clontarf at lunchtime for the first time in ages. Run was going fine until the last couple of miles when I could feel my hamstring back at me again.
    9.23 Miles in 1:18:49. Average Pace 8:32.

Wednesday 22nd August
    Had physio appointment later in the evening and with my hamstring flaring up the day before I decided to take it easy and run the majority of this run on grass.
    7.40 Miles in 1:03:52. Average Pace 8:38.

Physio appointment went well. Apparently my legs are looking pretty healthy so happy days. Got my hamstring loosened too and has been feeling fine so far.

Thursday 23th August
    A 9 day running streak brought to an end.

Friday 24th August
    Had originally pencilled this run in as 16 miles with 12 @ PMP but having had to cut short my 20 miler 2 weeks ago I thought I might compromise and do the 20 miles with the final 8 @ PMP. Attempting this session seemed like it was worth the risk as I'm on holidays all next week so it will definitely be a week of recovery.

First 12 miles went by fine and decided to take a gel at the start of the MP miles to keep me ticking over until the end. About 4 miles into the MP miles I felt a sharp pain in my left knee so stopped for a few minutes and the pain seemed to go away when I stopped. Decided to carry on but to drop the intensity and try and do the last few miles at a slowish pace. The rest of the run turned into a bit of a struggle which wasn't helped by a stitch which developed about 2 miles from the end.

19.64 Miles in 2:46:13. Average Pace 8:28.

Today's run brought me up to 57 miles for the last 7 days which is easily a record high for me. Will be hitting the beach for the next 7 days so no chance of me getting in that sort of mileage but will bring the runners and hope to get out a few times anyway. Enjoy the rain! :cool:

Month|Miles
    August|166.28
    Total|1,218.16

A weeks holiday in Lanzarote tied in nicely with a recovery week in the P&D plan. Managed to get out for a few runs as well following a route starting from where I was staying out towards the airport and back. Kept all my runs to the evening as it was too warm during the day.

Sunday 26th August
    8.33 Miles in 1:13:48. Average Pace 8:52.

Tuesday 28th August
    6.12 Miles in 54:54. Average Pace 8:58.

Thursday 30th August
    8.43 Miles in 1:13:06. Average Pace 8:40.

Sunday 2nd September
    Back to Ireland so decided to try and get in the 14 mile LSR prescribed in the P&D plan. It was after about 5 or 6 miles into this run that I started to feel pretty tired and I think the week away started to catch up with me. At that stage I was in no mans land as I was about as far away as I could have been from my start/finish point so just continued on but didn't really enjoy it at all and most of the last few miles were just about getting it over with. An early night beckons.
    13.34 Miles in 1:57:33. Average Pace 8:49.

Month|Miles
    January|152.95
    February|125.45
    March|168.66
    April|161.43
    May|124.79
    June|142.35
    July|176.25
    August|189.19
    September|13.34
    Total|1,254.41

Monday 3rd September
    5 mile recovery run to loosen out the legs. Forgot to charge the watch beforehand but hoped it would last until the end of the run which it almost did.
    4.55 Miles in 42:59. Average Pace 9:27.

Tuesday 4th September
    Plan was a Lactate Threshold run. The plan said 11 miles with 7 @ LT pace but having missed the 10 with 6 @ LT a couple of weeks earlier I thought I would have been better doing that instead.

However I felt really tired and sluggish in the hours leading up to the run so I decided to see how I felt when I got out there. After a 2 mile warm up, I decided to try a few miles at LT pace (7:00ish) and see how I got on but was really struggling with these in the midday heat and ran the first 2 in 7:14 and 7:21 so decided to run the next mile at a slower pace before upping the pace again to turn it into a fartlek type session. I tried this but was lacking the energy to run much faster on the planned faster segments so decided to bring the pace down to around 8:30 pace for the last few miles so not exactly what was planned but a good workout all the same.
    9.25 Miles in 1:14:58. Average Pace 8:06.

Struggling to recover from the recovery week ironically.

Wednesday 5th September
    Rest day from running. 40 minute cycling on gym bike followed by some stretching and core work.

Thursday 6th September
    Went out to Clontarf at lunchtime for this one. Felt much better for this one than my previous few runs.
    9.06 Miles in 1:14:39. Average Pace 8:15.

Friday 7th September
    Very easy recovery around the grass cricket pitch in Trinity.
    4.87 Miles in 46:08. Average Pace 9:29.

Saturday 8th September
    Met up with some members of the MRG for this morning's 20 miler. We quickly split into 2 groups - me and one other guy running 8:30 mile pace and the rest running at 9:00+ pace. The guy I was running with was only doing 15 miles so when we hit the water stop around 12 miles I decided to let him go on and I ran back from where we came to meet the others for the last 8 miles as I didn't fancy running them on my own. I noticed I felt much stronger around the 15 mile mark today than I had on my previous long runs so hopefully a good sign for things to come.
    20.42 Miles in 3:01:16. Average Pace 8:53.

So after a stuttering start to the week it turned out pretty well and I actually ended up running over 61 miles for the last 7 days.

Month|Miles
    September|61.58
    Total|1,302.65

Monday 10th September
    Ventured out to Clontarf at lunchtime for a 9 Mile General Aerobic run. Got soaked as it started raining cats and dogs halfway through. Despite this it was one of the most enjoyable runs I've had in a while.

Tuesday 11th September
    My left thigh has been feeling sore on and off since I started upping the mileage in the last month and felt particularly sore on Tuesday morning so decided not to head too far for this run so went to do some laps on the grass in Trinity. Started off at recovery pace but leg was feeling fine so started upping the pace and got in a good 8 miles.

Wednesday 12th September
    P&D called for a VO2 max session of 8 miles with 5 x 600m @ 5k race pace. Doing this session on my own didn't sound like fun so decided to do the Meath Running Group session which was a slightly tougher 5 x 4 mins. 5k pace is about 4:00 km's so thought I should be covering the reps in about 2 and a half laps.

I lead the group and went well over the 1k in my first rep and wondered had I gone too fast but I felt surprisingly comfortable completing the following reps and had I gone any slower it would have felt like I wasn't trying hard enough. According to the Garmin the distance in KM covered on the reps were:
    1.08, 1.08, 1.04, 1.06, 1.05

Thursday 13th September
    Cross training day. The usual 40 mins on the gym bike followed by stretching and core work.

Friday 14th September
    5 mile recovery to loosen out the legs before the Dublin Half tomorrow. Hopefully it will help me commit to a target time for DCM as I'm still undecided.

Month|Miles
    September|92.32
    Total|1,333.40

Dublin Half Marathon
    The last big tune up race before DCM. Made my way up to the Phoenix Park this morning thinking I was in sub 92 shape, maybe even sub 91 if everything fell into place on the day. Plan was to try and keep the 1:30 pacers in sight but not try and match their pace unless it felt comfortable. By the time I arrived in the first wave it was pretty full so started a good bit behind them.

Going down the Kyber in the first mile turned out to be the bottleneck I feared it would be and I found myself slowing down behind runners and I was forced to jump onto the grass just to get into some sort of rhythm.

I knew 6:59 was far too slow for a mile with so much downhill considering my target pace was 7 min miles but knew I'd get some breathing space as crowd would thin out over the next few miles. Over the next few miles when I had hoped to kick on my legs were refusing to co-operate and it felt like I was going as fast as I could as the pacer flags disappeared out of sight. A look at the watch as I passed the 4 mile marker showed 28:44 and I was struggling. It was the complete opposite of how I had felt in the Slane 10 miler and this showed in my pace as it was actually slower for the than the considerably steeper uphill parts that day.

Negative thoughts were filling my head so coming down the footpath towards the Castleknock gate I decided to try and a tactic of picking a runner up ahead and trying to pass them which worked pretty well as I passed quite a few and my pace was back nearer to 7 min miles.

The next few miles were pretty uneventful. Decided on the stretch into Farmleigh that I'd switch my watch to the HR screen and try to enjoy the rest of the race as my time goal was gone. The Garmin was still beeping at the mile markers and showed my pace was staying around 7:05. Ended up running alongside another guy for a while and we were working together to pass people on the paths on Chesterfield (mainly people who had gone out too fast though) and when he said we were on for sub 1:35 it gave me a bit of a boost, as in my head I thought I was going slower than that. I must have got too excited as on the downhill section towards the Parkgate street gate as he said the pace was too hot for him so we wished each other good luck and I powered on.

I started to miss my running buddy on the stretch down the bus lane back to the park but I said I wasn't going to look back and just try and make sure he doesn't pass me between now and the finish. My 10 mile split was the fastest of the day (6:50). I stopped for a short breather to take on some fluid at the water station at the Islandbridge gate before preparing to tackle the last couple of hills. Passed someone I knew who was walking and offered some encouragement to keep going and he soon appeared alongside me and we ran alongside each other for the next couple of miles.

I noticed with about half a mile to go that my pace had dropped considerably so decided to try and put in one last effort so I said to my partner I was going to try and up the pace but I just couldn't go any faster and he actually ended up passing me :rolleyes:

Going up the final hill it felt like I was going so slow but was still passing others. I could see the turn onto the finishing straight up ahead so decided to repeat my earlier tactic of picking out runners up ahead and passing them but when the finish line came into view I somehow managed to produce some sort of sprint finish to cross the line in 1:34:16.

A big PB and a 12 minute improvement on the same race last year but can't help but feel that my recent heavy mileage and tough session on Wednesday night contributed to me putting in what I would consider an under par performance as I'm sure on another day with a different preparation I would have been at least 2 mins faster but DCM is the goal race and this was just a step on the way. On a more positive note, I wouldn't have dreamed of running a sub 1:35 half a year ago so have to be pleased with my progression :)

Distance | 1 Mile | 3k | 5k | 4 Miles | 6k | 5 Miles | 10k | 10 Miles | Half Marathon | Marathon |
    Pre Log PB | 6:41 | 12:57 | 22:52 | 28:44 | 28:53 | 37:32 | 48:31 | 1:21:35 | 1:46:03 | 4:10:01 |
    Current PB | 6:10 | 11:58 | 19:47 | 26:13 | 24:20 | 33:23 | 41:45 | 1:08:54 | 1:34:16 | 4:10:01 |

• Advertisement

Well done, sounds like it got tough but you dug in an got a massive PB. well done!!

Advertisement