Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Cut this down in costs a bit.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Go for it. :)

Just remember to keep the motherboard isolated from other stuff; you don't want anything shorting on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I remember reading someone on another forum saying they screwed their motherboard onto cardboard. They were going to do it with wood but thought it would be too much of a fire hazard.
    I'm not exactly sure how cardboard is much less risky!

You don't even have to screw it in, just leave it on the anti-static bag the board came in. If you want to be sure, you can put the stand-offs on as well, but it'll work perfectly outside the case.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Serephucus wrote: »
    You don't even have to screw it in, just leave it on the anti-static bag the board came in. If you want to be sure, you can put the stand-offs on as well, but it'll work perfectly outside the case.

Nooo, don't do that. Anti-static bags work on a similar principal to Faraday cages. The outside is highly conductive which creates an electric field that causes any charges inside the bag to rearrange and cancel out.

So a motherboard thats resting on an antistatic bag is like trying to boot one thats in a case with no standoffs.

Hm, well apparently lots of people made the mistake (I've never tried it myself), but good to know before I end up needing to do this!

• Advertisement
Advertisement