Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your opinion on college fees/education cuts.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

We currently pay €2000 a year for one of the worlds best third level systems in the World. We have loads of universities in the top 300 in the word and we only pay €2000 a year. It isn't perfect but one thing it is, its value for money.

We have to find a level where the fees are low enough to make our universities high enough in the rankings that will allow for the most students to partake in third level education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

summer work or part time job could easily cover the fees... just so you know... and a loan system that will almost certainly be introduced should more than cover the costs, moreso than now...

7k for a few months' work? Hard enough getting 10 hours a week around here in fairness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i funded 6k fees a year for 4 years, working summer and evenings, I still managed no problems and had a good bit of cash to spend on going out and the like , thats where i am coming from, i have been on the receiving end of the benefits and also the other side, and the otherside is not scary or impossible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

i funded 6k fees a year for 4 years, working summer and evenings, I still managed no problems and had a good bit of cash to spend on going out and the like , thats where i am coming from, i have been on the receiving end of the benefits and also the other side, and the otherside is not scary or impossible...

Weird considering how I read one of your posts in Student Finance, wondering why you wouldn't get a grant for €5000, just because you were forking out "6000 euro in fees". You hardly expect the government to give you money because you're paying fees?

OH WAIT.. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE SAYING THE OPPOSITE OF HERE. Strange how circumstances change when you're not involved, isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

unknown13 wrote: »
    We currently pay €2000 a year for one of the worlds best third level systems in the World. We have loads of universities in the top 300 in the word and we only pay €2000 a year. It isn't perfect but one thing it is, its value for money.

We have to find a level where the fees are low enough to make our universities high enough in the rankings that will allow for the most students to partake in third level education.

What? We have 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Well then, well done to you for being able to find a job that gave you enough hours to do that! Not everyone is so lucky. And the way things are going, fewer and fewer people will be as lucky as you were.

Once my brother goes to college, the sh*t will hit the fan for my family. It would be all well and good for me to be able to save and pay my fees, but I also insure, tax, nct, and put petrol in my own car. Even now, I never go out, save for the odd night once or twice a month. I just can't afford it. My brother is planning on going to Limerick for primary teaching. The living expenses alone will be massive, with the fees on top of that. But my family would never in million years qualify for a grant or anything.

I dunno, we'll just have to wait and see what happens:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Grindylow wrote: »
    Weird considering how I read one of your posts in Student Finance, wondering why you wouldn't get a grant for €5000, just because you were forking out "6000 euro in fees". You hardly expect the government to give you money because you're paying fees?

OH WAIT.. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE SAYING THE OPPOSITE OF HERE. Strange how circumstances change when you're not involved, isn't it.

hey if i could get a grant i would take it... free money is free money dude, doesn't really affect the debate

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Well then, well done to you for being able to find a job that gave you enough hours to do that! Not everyone is so lucky. And the way things are going, fewer and fewer people will be as lucky as you were.

Once my brother goes to college, the sh*t will hit the fan for my family. It would be all well and good for me to be able to save and pay my fees, but I also insure, tax, nct, and put petrol in my own car. Even now, I never go out, save for the odd night once or twice a month. I just can't afford it. My brother is planning on going to Limerick for primary teaching. The living expenses alone will be massive, with the fees on top of that. But my family would never in million years qualify for a grant or anything.

I dunno, we'll just have to wait and see what happens:(

i did have the advantage of commuting from home to save living expenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

hey if i could get a grant i would take it... free money is free money dude, doesn't really affect the debate

Surely thats taking advantage of those who really need government grants and services...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Guys, stick to the debate here, and don't make it personal. I don't want to see people dragging up "dirt" on people using their posts in other forums. Keep to the topic at hand, and if you can't play nice, well, don't play at all.

• Advertisement

Surely thats taking advantage of those who really need government grants and services...

how would one distinguish that? I worked instead. most here think they shouldnt have to work, or can't get a job, I did and that paid my way? I fail to see how this petty attempt to weaken my argument is meant to progress.

anyway back on topic.

fees in with loan system = sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

how would one distinguish that? I worked instead. most here think they shouldnt have to work, or can't get a job, I did and that paid my way? I fail to see how this petty attempt to weaken my argument is meant to progress.

anyway back on topic.

fees in with loan system = sense

Yes, fees in with a loan system makes sense however the price of fees should be as low as possible in order that will get universities best rankings.

We don't an American system of very high fees though.

unknown13 wrote: »
    the price of fees should be as low as possible in order that will get universities best rankings.

the fees should be enough that the government no longer needs to support third level education and the replayments arent crippling to the graduates

University Rankings are ridiculous and shouldn't come into the debate about fees.

The fees in any potential loan system should be high enough to allow the Universities to provide a top-quality education to everyone.

They probably shouldn't exceed ten thousand a year. That would be too severe a debt to leave college with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

I really wonder what planet people who are still telling others to 'get a job' are living on.

I agree with this.

I really wonder what planet people who still think the government should pay our fees are on too, though.

We are adults. We are going to college/university (or at least a large majority of us are) because we want to have decent jobs in the future. The country is currently holding on by a thread. We should have to pay for our educations.

However, I do not advocate re-introducing fees. I think it is ridiculous to decide whether someone should have to pay thousands of euro a year based on what their parents earn. A student loan system is the only real fair option. It puts every student in the same boat.

Advertisement