Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would have happened if the Nazi's had won?

• 11-11-2011 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭

Thankfully the good guys won but.....

We'd have one less conflict in the middle east I'm guessing but what else would have happened?

What would have happened to Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Fishooks12 wrote: »

We'd have one less conflict in the middle east I'm guessing but what else would have happened?

Same as switzerland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Won what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

We wouldn't be able to speak as freely I suspect, to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

We'd be speaking German!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

One downside is that we've been denied the opportunity to cultivate delicious Hitler Melons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Didn't Hitler want to turn Ireland into a garden for the Aryans or something?

Also, I don't think the Nazis/Axis would have been allowed to win. I think the war would have went on for as long as it took to destroy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Won what?

The Euromillions, ofcourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The internet would be a completely different place due to the different meaning of Godwin's law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

humanji wrote: »
    The internet would be a completely different place due to the different meaning of Godwin's law.

There wouldn't be any poppy threads for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

There was no need for Hitler to invade. 66 years later Germany owns us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

We'd have ended up with a European continent dominated by the Germans with the quiet acceptance of the North West European countries, with a single currency, that would have been ****ed up by the totally uncontrollable & chaotic Portuguese, Irish, Italians Greeks & Spanish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You'd be ending every post with Heil Hitler.

Heil Hitler.

copeyhagen wrote: »

There wouldn't be any "What would have happened if Hitler had lost?" threads either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

We'd be speaking Russian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I'm not sure, but I do know the punchline is "ann frankly I won't stand for it".

We'd be speaking Russian

The Russians would have been kicked in the gulags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

[QUOTE=Your Text Here;75422149]Didn't Hitler want to turn Ireland into a garden for the Aryans or something?

Also, I don't think the Nazis/Axis would have been allowed to win. I think the war would have went on for as long as it took to destroy them.[/QUOTE]

Never heard about that, but I suppose, Ireland would have been some kind of watchtower, due to it's close proximity to England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Never heard about that, but I suppose, Ireland would have been some kind of watchtower, due to it's close proximity to England Großbritannien

There ya go.

We'd be speaking Russian

Not sure if you're aware of it but Hitler and Co were no great fans of the Bolsheviks so I doubt they would have adopted their language if they had won

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Also, I don't think the Nazis/Axis would have been allowed to win. I think the war would have went on for as long as it took to destroy them.

I read that somewhere years ago, he was going to turn Ireland into a vegetable plot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Anyone who has studied it knows that history is all about what happened, wie es gewesen ist, as Ranke famously said, not what might have happened. Speculation about what would have happened if ... belongs more in the realm of science fiction, parallel universes and so on.:)

What we do know from history is that it is written by the victors, selectively and for their own purposes and this creates a paradigm that tends to become self-perpetuating in the media and educational system. What is likewise probably the case is that if the Second World War had had an outcome different from the one it actually had, the vast majority of sheeple would be getting on with their lives in the only reality they know.;)

Ireland would have been the largest sauerkraut factory in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

We have trains that run on time, home brewed beer halls, affordable Volkswagons and plenty of pork based meals. GAA would be banned and as a result we'd probably have a better soccer team.

We'd just have to sacrifice our freedom and identity as well being openly discriminated towards non Europeans and Jews

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Anyone who has studied it knows that history is all about what happened, wie es gewesen ist, as Ranke famously said, not what might have happened. Speculation about what would have happened if ... belongs more in the realm of science fiction, parallel universes and so on.:)

What we do know from history is that it is written by the victors, selectively and for their own purposes and this creates a paradigm that tends to become self-perpetuating in the media and educational system. What is likewise probably the case is that if the Second World War had had an outcome different from the one it actually had, the vast majority of sheeple would be getting on with their lives in the only reality they know.;)

Well that won't make for a fun thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

We'd all be driving German cars on German built roads , paid for by Germany, buying our groceries from German supermarkets and drinking German beer, all with a currency designed by the Germans.

Looks like they did win :(

Heil Hitler

We have trains that run on time

We already do infairness

Irish Rail may be very over-priced but as someone who uses them frequently I can vouch that they're rarely if ever late

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

biko wrote: »
    You'd be ending every post with Heil Hitler.

Heil Hitler.

I think some leeway would be given.

Nazily,
    Snakeblood

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

TheZohan wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I do know the punchline is "ann frankly I won't stand for it".

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

RachaelVO wrote: »

I read that somewhere years ago, he was going to turn Ireland into a vegetable plot!

My leaving cert. History teacher told us that had Hitler won, he had plans to turn Ireland into a large concentration camp. Dont know how true that is though.

Well that won't make for a fun thread!

It won't take long to read the thread as there'll probably be only one post.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I think some leeway would be given.

Nazily,
    Snakeblood

Aye. only every second post. The rest would have been signed with 'Sieg Heil', plus a compulsory Swastika in everyone's avatar ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

We wouldn't be financially fucked at the moment, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

We have trains that run on time, home brewed beer halls, affordable Volkswagons and plenty of pork based meals. GAA would be banned and as a result we'd probably have a better soccer team.

We'd just have to sacrifice our freedom and identity as well being openly discriminated towards non Europeans and Jews

Unt ze frauleins mit za big boobies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

It was Himmler, I think, who wanted the Aryan super-race to conceive children in Ireland to "absorb the Celtic spirit".

Germany could never win the war unless they had developed atomic weapons and the means to deploy them on the US and Russia, they were quite simply too short of resources. It was really only Speer's organisational genius that kept a flow of war material until the very end. Had Hitler not switched his initial air attack on Britain in 1940 from fighter bases to the cities then operation Sealion could have succeeded in gaining a foothold, but Germany didn't really have the naval power or air cover to maintain an invasion.

The D-Day invasion was nearly called off due to weather, of course, and it's possible it would have been severely compromised as it relied on the deception of an invasion on the Pas-de-Calais which could not really be maintained given that the entirety of the south coast was covered in soldiers and tanks!

There are quite a few alternative scenarios online, which make interesting reading, most seem to end with a threatened nuclear strike in Europe, following the attacks on Japan, in late 1945 or early 1946 followed by a German surrender.

SSE

• Advertisement

Come to think of it, I once asked my German superior, Siegfried Haeberer, that question. He was a great character, who had been a prisoner-of-war in Lancashire for two years. Then he had worked as an interpreter for an American general and could switch effortlessly from a Texan to an "ee bai gum lad" Lancashire accent. His uncle had been a General in the SS. ;)

Now it was the mid-1960s and a Friday afternoon. We weren't very busy and he offered me a drink before we left for the day.

I asked him. "Have you ever wondered what would have happened if Germany had won the war?"

His reply has stuck in my mind ever since. "If we had, instead of sitting here drinking Johnny Walker Black Label and flicking through Playboy, I'd probably be standing guard in the fcuking rain in some godforsaken asshole of a place in Ireland. And you'd be up on a wet hillside trying to kill me.":D:D

My leaving cert. History teacher told us that had Hitler won, he had plans to turn Ireland into a large concentration camp. Dont know how true that is though.

The 3rd Reich and Hitler were of course discussed in German schools to a very high extent, considering, some of the teachers, I had, grew up under Hitler. But turning Ireland into a concentration camp? I suppose, that's a myth. Ireland was never seen as an enemy, more like a potential ally, as far as I remember...England as the common enemy and stuff like that.

He never managed to implement those plans. They had to wait for Merkel ---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

All the countries west of the Rhine would be run on a similar basis to Vichy France, east of the Rhine there would have been mass death camps and factories filled with slaves.

All the countries west of the Rhine would be run on a similar basis to Vichy France, east of the Rhine there would have been mass death camps and factories filled with slaves.

That sounds quite familiar to what I have learned in school ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

Lars1916 wrote: »

The 3rd Reich and Hitler were of course discussed in German schools to a very high extent, considering, some of the teachers, I had, grew up under Hitler. But turning Ireland into a concentration camp? I suppose, that's a myth. Ireland was never seen as an enemy, more like a potential ally, as far as I remember...England as the common enemy and stuff like that.

England was hardly seen as an enemy to the Irish at that time. Maybe twenty years before, but by the time of WW2 surely we had settled our differences. Sure didn't de Valera communicate with Churchill. We'd of hardly sided with Hitler when we'd already shown ourselves to be pro-allies. Ireland, even today, has never been fully neutral. On the outside yeah, but we very much pick sides. But I agree that the Irish concentration camp may have been bull.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Ireland would have been a part of the 1,000 year Third Reich; the Irish would all be speaking German; and you would all have blond hair and blue eyes.

Ya I can imagine Eastern Europe being a very bleak place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Just mini uprisings all over the place. Would never have lasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

We already do infairness

Irish Rail may be very over-priced but as someone who uses them frequently I can vouch that they're rarely if ever late

Fair enough, more trains then. and trams and an underground network. And tickets would work on trains, trams and buses (who would run on time).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

We would all have been slaughtered, if indeed you go by the belief that we are all descended from one of the lost tribes of Israel:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Good guys? What planet are you on?

Have you any ideas about the crimes committed by the USSR on its own people?

The genocide commited in the US on the native population? US crimes in Vietnam?

And won't even mention those carried out by the French and British empires. :rolleyes:

There'd be nothing on the History Channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

We would be living in the stone age again, due to the nuclear war that would have ensued as the Germans and Americans fought for control of the seas and subsequent control of world trade (which the Americans gained as a result of WWII).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

We'd need a lot more natural gas.

The simple fact is that the Russians would never have given in. By D-Day, the tide had already turned in the east. The Russians were quite prepared to fight a war of annihilation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Ryanair would be called 'Rhineheir'

• Advertisement
Advertisement