Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would have happened if the Nazi's had won?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Our days of saying 'ah shur, til be grand' would have come to a very abrupt end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Force136 wrote: »
    Oh dear, is the the famous Irish education system?

Speaking of which OXFORD AND CAMBRIDGE

World renowned.

Some English chap first started the lightbulb malarkey. I forget his name.

Davy...yeah Davy. Humphrey.

The internet - Sir Timothy John "Tim" Berners-Lee

Davy's lamp was for coal mines.We'd be sitting in the dark if it wasn't for Edison.

Listing off random inventions doesn't prove anything. An Irish man invented radiotherapy, another invented the submarine, another invented chemistry as we know it. Means fúck all to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

British.

Two world wars.

The first you spent fellating the Germans and trying to use their war against us, as a distraction for your bombing campaign.

The second one you decided to 'remain neutral' - and by that I mean you sat on the sidelines cheering the Germans and then allowed in the Nazi war criminals to live in Ireland.

My, what a wonderful and rich history Ireland has. <puke>

My what a violent, aggressive, over bearing history Britain has...

Wiping out families based on religion
    Wiping out men taking part in a peaceful demonstration
    Wiping out Native American tribes...

Ya still wanna keep trading insults on an Irish site? Before you decide to sit in judgement of one nation fighting to free its self, you'd wanna look into your own bloody history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Force136

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Davy's lamp was for coal mines.We'd be sitting in the dark if it wasn't for Edison.

Listing off random inventions doesn't prove anything. An Irish man invented radiotherapy, another invented the submarine, another invented chemistry as we know it. Means fúck all to me.
    An Irishman invented a submarine?

No chance. I can't believe it.

Do you mean he invented 'holding his breath' under water ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭droicead

aligator_am - I take some of your points. I agree with it.

And I also know that more and more Irish are now joining the British army. I'm not sure if that's a sort point for you guys, but it's good to have the lads in our ranks.

We use them to 'count the guns' of our enemies. :D

:D just a bit of craic lads.

force...how long you at the online comedy /ever consider doing stand up?
    id gladly pay to see you

• Advertisement

RachaelVO wrote: »

Ya still wanna keep trading insults on an Irish site? Before you decide to sit in judgement of one nation fighting to free its self, you'd wanna look into your own bloody history!
    You have such a deluded romanticised version of Ireland :D

Mate, you blow people up in cafes, pubs, hotels etc - it's no wonder you have such an affinity with 'palestinians'.

Sickening.

Stop the romance and face the reality. Ireland is a violent, racist state. There's a penchant for violence in Ireland.

If you lot weren't always practically anaesthetised from drink, there would be a lot more internal violence.

I know amongst the good we've done some bad, I admit that.

But our good is this much <
    >

Our bad <---->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

An Irishman invented a submarine?

No chance. I can't believe it.

Do you mean he invented 'holding his breath' under water ?

The modern submarine was invented by an Irishman named Holland, ironically enough I think it was funded by the precursor to the IRA in order to attack Britain lol.

droicead wrote: »
    force...how long you at the online comedy /ever consider doing stand up?
    id gladly pay to see you
    When you say "pay to see me"

Do you mean wearing a ski mask and holding a Yugoslavian rifle paid for by Libya?

The modern submarine was invented by an Irishman named Holland, ironically enough I think it was funded by the precursor to the IRA in order to attack Britain lol.
    Ah, I knew there was a catch :D

I'll check this guy out, see if it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Padraig Nally would have been awarded the civilian equivalent of the Iron Cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Anyway, back on topic, I wonder if the Nazis had won, would technology be more advanced now? I know they had proposed plans for space stations and all sorts of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭droicead

nil tu aon rud mo chara ach cuach:D...rith anois le scleondar go dti google chun aistrim cad a thara...truamheileach:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Anyway, back on topic, I wonder if the Nazis had won, would technology be more advanced now? I know they had proposed plans for space stations and all sorts of stuff.
    I think it could well have. We might also have a strange variant of religion with spirituality mixed with obscure mysticism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It's a very interesting topic...wondering what our world would be like if they won, always fascinated me this idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Batsy wrote: »
    Ireland would have been a part of the 1,000 year Third Reich; the Irish would all be speaking German;

Give it a three or four hundred years maybe, isn't Ireland terrible at languages?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

You have such a deluded romanticised version of Ireland :D

Mate, you blow people up in cafes, pubs, hotels etc - it's no wonder you have such an affinity with 'palestinians'.

Sickening.

Stop the romance and face the reality. Ireland is a violent, racist state. There's a penchant for violence in Ireland.

If you lot weren't always practically anaesthetised from drink, there would be a lot more internal violence.

I know amongst the good we've done some bad, I admit that.

But our good is this much <
    >

Our bad <---->

Your just hilarious :D:D:D:D

Seriously I haven't laughed so much in such a long time...

Absolute Trolls, Troll absolutely... you're just a scream, what are ya 18? 19?
    Sitting in your room all by your lonesome self, cos that acne just hasn't gone away yet has it... well the acne and your virginity!

Keep it up, so I can have a good laugh, you're truly entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

the buses would be on time anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

A lot less poles here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

A single currency.
    ( too lazy to see if someone posted that already)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Presidential election campaigners would have sounded something like this

and kids would get christmas presents like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

John Doe1 wrote: »
    A lot less poles here....

...yes, all the cables and wires would be underground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

We might also have a strange variant of religion with spirituality mixed with obscure mysticism.

No change then ?
    galwayrush wrote: »
    A single currency.
    ( too lazy to see if someone posted that already)

Where do people get this shyte ?
    With the exception of Austria I don't remember hearing anything about the Nazi's abolishing the local currencies in any of the countries they occupied ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    No change then ?

Where do people get this shyte ?
    With the exception of Austria I don't remember hearing anything about the Nazi's abolishing the local currencies in any of the countries they occupied ?

Once they'd finished grabbing all of the gold reserves from the vanquished countries, I think a single currency would have been automatic. The Reichseuro's got a nice ring to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I probably wouldn't have been born. My grandparent met in England near the end of WW2. My grandmother was a Munitionette and my grandfather helped with loading bombs ("For export") on RAF bombers.

If the Nazis had won and invaded Britain around 1940/41, there would have been no jobs for my grandparent, as the RAF would have been destroyed and the demand for munitions would have decreased. Thus eliminating the circumstances that lead to them meeting each other, which eliminates the circumstances in which my mother was born, which in turn eliminates the circumstances in which I was born as my mother would have never existed.

In fact, you could say that most of us today wouldn't exist now if the Nazis had won the war, as the circumstances that lead to your own birth would have been eliminated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I probably wouldn't have been born. My grandparent met in England near the end of WW2. My grandmother was a Munitionette and my grandfather helped with loading bombs ("For export") on RAF bombers.

If the Nazis had won and invaded Britain around 1940/41, there would have been no jobs for my grandparent, as the RAF would have been destroyed and the demand for munitions would have decreased. Thus eliminating the circumstances that lead to them meeting eachother, which eliminates the circumstances in which mother was born, which in turn eliminates the circumstances in which I was born as my mother would have never existed.

In fact, you could say that most of us today wouldn't exist now if the Nazis had won the war, as the circumstances that lead to your own birth would have been eliminated.

That was the whole point of WW2, Hitler was sent back in time to prevent you from ever being born. Luckily Force was there to singlehandedly save us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

al28283 wrote: »
    That was the whole point of WW2, Hitler was sent back in time to prevent you from ever being born. Luckily Force was there to singlehandedly save us all.

Actually if you think about it. I would have never been born if Hitler never rose to power. So either way I wouldn't wish the past to be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Actually if you think about it. I would have never been born if Hitler never rose to power. So either way I wouldn't wish the past to be changed.

You are getting onto an old method to enhance enlightenment now, whereby a person ponders all of the circumstances that brought them to that very moment. You are supposed to start with immediate circumstances and work your way backwards. Seems like a lot of hard work but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

We'd be saying phrases such as Sie Kiel, I can't spell it. A mate used this Nazi grammar in a hotel once to a German waitress, then some guy that overheard nearly lost his head, he was ready to pounce on my mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Britain would be fawning over their ''special relationship'' with Germany instead of with the US

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Once they'd finished grabbing all of the gold reserves from the vanquished countries, I think a single currency would have been automatic. The Reichseuro's got a nice ring to it.

Dunno there are often advantages to an occupying power having a hard currency (for the benefit of the occupation troops/Herrenvolk settlers/black marketeers) circulating in parallel with a (largely worthless) local currency reserved largely for the Untermensch particularly when exchange rates are set by the occupiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hitler could have never won the the war.

He was an irrational, supersticious, illogical, paranoid, egomaniac nutcase.
    Totally incapable of leading military operations, yet he interfered everywhere.

The Germans had the war pretty much won in May 1940 when they trapped the British army on the beach in Dunkirk. Take them prisoner, threaten a nice invasion, negotiate a Vichy style pact with Britain and after that concentrate on keeping the Yanks happy and the Russians in check ...done.

Instead Hitler let the Brits go, attacked the Soviet bear and declared war on the US, making one fatal mistake after the other while doing so

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

[QUOTE=TiGeR KiNgS;75424491Also Britain went begging for 'Marshall Aid' while Ireland didn't take a cent.[/QUOTE]
    www.arts.manchester.ac.uk/subjectareas/history/research/manchesterpapers/files/fileuploadmax10mb,125125,en.pdf
    Page 34
    Ireland
    received proportionally the third largest share of financial aid during the first
    fifteen months of the ERP (see Table 5). Only ERP allocations to Austria
    (14.0 percent of GNP) and the Netherlands (10.8 percent of GNP) were larger
    than the extra 7.8 percent of GNP received by Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Is Force136 permanently banned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Us blondes would be ruling the world.

Aryan race ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Force136
    Ubertroll.
    Very entertaining. I doff my hat. :D

On topic had Hitler won, Sinn Fein would have been in power for ages by now!
    In a Vichy sort of way.
    The Irish were regarded by the Nazi's as untermenschen on a parity with the Slavs, but a foothold on England's doorstep was worth a rictus grin and a bit of leeway. For a while.
    The gas bill would have been high. :eek:

• Advertisement

Humans eh! wrote: »
    The Irish were regarded by the Nazi's as untermenschen on a parity with the Slavs

I read somewhere that while almost everyone apart from Germans were classified as untermenchen , that there were different classes of the thing. And the Irish were rated higher than France on the scale. So I guess the French would have fared even worse than us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

peasant wrote: »

The Germans had the war pretty much won in May 1940 when they trapped the British army on the beach in Dunkirk. Take them prisoner, threaten a nice invasion, negotiate a Vichy style pact with Britain and after that concentrate on keeping the Yanks happy and the Russians in check ...done.

Instead Hitler let the Brits go, attacked the Soviet bear and declared war on the US, making one fatal mistake after the other while doing so
    Quoted for truth. Oul Adolph was a classic example of a bad micromanager.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

psychward wrote: »
    I read somewhere that while almost everyone apart from Germans were classified as untermenchen , that there were different classes of the thing. And the Irish were rated higher than France on the scale. So I guess the French would have fared even worse than us.

Der Ultimate 'X' Faktor. :(

And the race to be eliminated tonight is.....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

If the Nazis had won the slogan would be

"Arbeit Macht Frei"

instead of

"Austerity Macht Frei"

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

SafeSurfer wrote: »

"Arbeit Macht Frei"

instead of

"Austerity Macht Frei"

I would rather austerity if the work was going to kill you though, its a bit better in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Our Army would have a cooler uniform.

SafeSurfer wrote: »

"Arbeit Macht Frei"

instead of

"Austerity Macht Frei"

And the X Factor would look like this .

accordionm.jpg

Maybe an upside. It couldn't get any worse really.

Arbeit would be a fine thing.
    Like we used to have Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs...............

Humans eh! wrote: »
    Arbeit would be a fine thing.
    Like we used to have Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs...............

I dont think it means work in the traditional sense...

I dont think it means work in the traditional sense...
    You mean endless pointless toil kept at a level that encourages competition and tantalises with the possibility of freedom that could end at any time to enrich an elite till you are no longer productive and useful and thus discarded?
    Or something else?

Ireland's richest man was declared bankrupt today!

Literally Billionaire to f**k all,
    encouraging no?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

peasant wrote: »

Russia was massing for an attack on Germany, it is just that Germany got the first blow in. Why do you think they captured so many prisoners in the first few months of the war in the east.

Regarding Dunkirk...Hitler let them go as a good will gesture to try to make peace. There was two German generals that suggested to Hitler that they simply kill the lot at Dunkirk, but these two were sacked and kicked out of their houses.

One last thing, Russia was plundering tiny Finland, and the only country that helped Finland was Germany, the Western allies did nothing. Russia have to this very day still got their stolen land from Finland, look up lake Ladogo.

Here is map of Finland in 1939:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Grand-Duchy-of-Finland2.png

Now look up current map of Finland...

tiger55 wrote: »
    One last thing, Russia was plundering tiny Finland, and the only country that helped Finland was Germany, the Western allies did nothing.

Germany ''helped'' ''liberate'' the Ukraine too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The Japanese fecked up the German war effort withtheir attack on Pearl Harbor. Their were dozens of top Russian divisions defending their eastern frontier against an expected Japanese invaion before 7th December 1941.

The ability of the Russians to transfer these troops to the defence of Moscow, once the Japanese attacked the US proved decisive.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

tiger55 wrote: »
    Russia was massing for an attack on Germany, it is just that Germany got the first blow in. Why do you think they captured so many prisoners in the first few months of the war in the east.

Regarding Dunkirk...Hitler let them go as a good will gesture to try to make peace. There was two German generals that suggested to Hitler that they simply kill the lot at Dunkirk, but these two were sacked and kicked out of their houses.

One last thing, Russia was plundering tiny Finland, and the only country that helped Finland was Germany, the Western allies did nothing. Russia have to this very day still got their stolen land from Finland, look up lake Ladogo.

Here is map of Finland in 1939:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Grand-Duchy-of-Finland2.png

Now look up current map of Finland...

The USSR was not planning a large attack on Germany, it may have been planning war but very little says they would have attacked. They would have been very stupid not to be preparing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Britain never 'won' any world war.

The best they could achieve was a stalemate on the Western front.

WW2: an embarrassing retreat at Dunkirk. Britain only advanced on mainland Europe with the Americans to hold their hands and do the dirty work on the beaches at Normandy.

Also Britain went begging for 'Marshall Aid' while Ireland didn't take a cent.
    cute h00rz applied though :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement