Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't change "My number" in iPhone settings.

• 11-11-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I ported my 086 number to the three network when I signed up with them this week. Others can see my number when I call and text so there is no issue there. However the my stored number in the iPhone settings is still the 083 one that they gave me. I am unable to change it to the 086 number.

Three have told me to do a variety of things...reload SIM card, reset settings/ network etc, toggle on and off wifi........nothing works.

Just wondering if it is even important that the correct number is stored here?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Settings
    • Phone
    • My Number - Edit in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not important in the sense it's not the number sent to people, as your friends see the correct number even though it's wrong in Settings.
    It should be taken from the sim card, maybe if you reload the sim contacts again onto the phone it'll change. This may duplicate contacts so back them up first.

edit, ah I see you've already done that.

What version is your phone and OS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

It wont allow me to change the number in settings. Phone is 4S on 5.0.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

If you call 1913 and try to check your balance, does it tell you your balance?

I had a similar issue moving from vodafone to three. Port took a few days and once that was done three still recognise me as an 083 number even tho my 087 was showing up on caller IDs. When I contacted 3 they said it looked like a disconnected account from their end, they eventually sorted it tho.

Here's the details of my issue - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056438931

Danbo! wrote: »
    If you call 1913 and try to check your balance, does it tell you your balance?

I had a similar issue moving from vodafone to three. Port took a few days and once that was done three still recognise me as an 083 number even tho my 087 was showing up on caller IDs. When I contacted 3 they said it looked like a disconnected account from their end, they eventually sorted it tho.

Here's the details of my issue - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056438931

I can check my units on 1913 and on planet three via the handset. I cannot however access my3 on the website as they have also been unable to send me a PIN and I have tried a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Have a look at this thread on the Apple Support Forums

The fix mentioned could well solve your problem.

There's no harm in trying.

''I just had the same issue with my new iPhone 4S purchased fromApple in the UK. Ported my old number from02 to Three Mobile, but iTunes and settings -> phone -> My Number stillshow the temp number supplied by 3 Mobile prior to the transfer. Power cycling and re-syncing with iTunes madeno difference.
    My old iPhone 3GS (IOS 4.3) and a friends iPhone 4 (IOS 5)still appear to allow this field to be edited, but not on the 4S.

Fixed the issue by doing:
    1. Switched off Face Time (Setting -> FaceTime-> FaceTime OFF)
    2. Switched off iMessage(Setting -> Messages->iMessage OFF)
    3. Switched on iMessage (The phone started “Verifying”the incorrect phone number, failed and set it to the correct ported number (seeSettings -> Messages -> Receive At -> Phone).
    4. At this point the “My Number” (Settings ->Phone -> My Number) had also updated.
    5. Switched on Face(Same “Verifying” as with iMessage, but tooktwo attempts).
    6. Power Cycled the ‘phone and re-synced to updateiTunes (Summary “Phone Number” field).

Hope this helps!''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

I did the above last week. iMessage and Facetime off. Reset network settings. Phone off. Back on. iMessage and Facetime back on, should update. Worked fine for me.

Note that not all people can edit their number as described in an earlier post, some can, some cant, not sure what determines it (iTunes, or iTunesless phone?)

Wow! Sorted. Many thanks folks. Didn't need to do a reset. Nice one! Cheers again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Glad you got it sorted. Don't be surprised when you see a second 25cent charge on your bill for (re)activating Facetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I can't get this sorted at all. The 083 number won't change to my old 085 number!

Are there any other ways to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Get a replacement sim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Walkman wrote: »
    Get a replacement sim

Will that Jong just cause the same problem again? I'll still have to sync the number over again and lose the credit on this account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

You won't lose any credit. The account details will be transferred to the new sim

It seems that the 4S doesn't allow the number to be edited, but the 3GS and 4 still do.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Karsini wrote: »
    It seems that the 4S doesn't allow the number to be edited, but the 3GS and 4 still do.

I might have a special 4s in that case :pac:

I had the same problem when I got the 4s, but for the life of me can't recall how I got it sorted, sorry OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Deedsie wrote: »
    Will that Jong just cause the same problem again? I'll still have to sync the number over again and lose the credit on this account?

No, a replacement sim has no account or number attached to it. 3 will activate your account onto that sim thus your 086,085.....will show on your iPhone as there was no 083 number pre assigned to it

Mactard wrote: »
    I might have a special 4s in that case :pac:

I had the same problem when I got the 4s, but for the life of me can't recall how I got it sorted, sorry OP.

So you can edit your number on a 4S? I never used a 4S myself but anyone with a 4S who I told to edit the number told me they couldn't. In that case, either they just didn't know how or else 3 prevent the number from being edited on their SIM cards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Karsini wrote: »
    So you can edit your number on a 4S?

That's what the post you quoted says.

Advertisement