Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upkeep of rented house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bless. See the little smiley at the end of the sentence?? That means I was joking/taking the pi$$, call it what you will. Try and read the sentence before getting worked up.
    Leave the noobs alone.
    edellc wrote: »
    I'm not even going to bother with you Ray you really have no idea on the reality of life as is evident from most of your posts
    That is a bit sweeping and probably unfair.

There is more than one 'reality'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I think if you want your house repainted at a cost (even though 300 is cheap) then usually I would request this at the start of the lease, or before i intended to renew it, not halway through the tenancy. If you've been there 9 months either it was bad since you've been there, at which point you should have requested it at the start, or its been caused by you at which point they shouldn't have to pay.
    I think that halfway through the tenancy you should be able to request the materials (ie the paint) to be provided but the labour is your responsibility if its not at the start (before you move in) or end (before you renew).
    I requested paint from my landlord because I noticed that my walls were a bit grubby (it happens, especially with the cheap white/magnolia paint usually used in rentals) and it was provided no problem. I wouldnt expect them to provide labour though-I'll do it myself! I know its harder when you've kids but its definately possible. Im from a single parent family and my mother often repainted the whole house when we were kids-just tapped away at it one room at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Just throwing this out there: hows your relationship with your LL other than that?

Perhaps he doesn't trust your brother-in-law, or perhaps he thinks you intend to paint it yourself & charge him the €300.

Perhaps he thinks this is a fiddle. €300 is very cheap for a whole house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Zulu wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there: hows your relationship with your LL other than that?

Perhaps he doesn't trust your brother-in-law, or perhaps he thinks you intend to paint it yourself & charge him the €300.

Perhaps he thinks this is a fiddle. €300 is very cheap for a whole house.

In which case, he should pay for the place to be painted (as apparently it needs it) by someone he trusts. He doesn't have to to the brother in law, he could just pay the market rate to keep a well presented house for his tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've yet to see a cheap painting job that didn't start flaking off in a year. Usually they don't prepare the surfaces properly and just paint over whats there. A complete mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

BostonB wrote: »
    I've yet to see a cheap painting job that didn't start flaking off in a year. Usually they don't prepare the surfaces properly and just paint over whats there. A complete mess.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. What is a "cheap" paint job? Cheap materials or lack of preparation or only one layer of paint?

I'm not a professional and wouldn't buy the most expensive rollers/brushes or paint but I've managed to keep paint on walls. I painted my own house back in 2002 and it's been redone twice since and is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I assume you don't pay yourself to do your own house so thats not valid or useful comparison.

The premise is, you are paying the true cost of the job. If the budget doesn't over the basic costs, like the labour time required to prepare the surfaces, then its not being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation. Im renting a house the past 9 months. I have recently appraoched him about the house getting a fresh coat of paint. All the walls and doors are dirty and in every room theres patches painted in different shades of cream, aound door frames etc. I also told him that my brother in law, who owns a property maintenence company, would paint the whole house and doors for €300, including the paint. The landlord told me the house hasnt been painted in about 4 years. He seems very reluctant to agree to the house been painted, he said he was " taken aback" when i said the walls were dirty!

My lease is up in March. If he doesnt paint it ill more than likely move out. When we first moved moved in he said he wanted long term tenants, which is what i wanna be. Were a family of 3, myself, my partner andour 2 year old. rent always on time and im a clean freak!:)

Has anyone had this problem and how did you deal with it??

hi,
    we were in a similar situation a few years ago. the place looked rather sad when we moved in but thanks to price, size, location etc it was too good to miss. We asked before moving in if they would repaint but they said no. A couple of months later we asked again, and the LL did it himself (who was quite hard up), which was a bit of pain as he spent 3-4 Sundays with us... (had to remove wall papers etc) but was worth it. He paid for the paint and of course spent all this time on doing it.
    We got a bit excited after that and offered to pay for the tiling of the bathroom (they had blue carpet!!! :eek:). He accepted, did it himself and it was money (not a crazy amount, just the tiles etc) well spent.

Would you consider offering to share the costs? say, paying 1/3 of the €300 or sth? It's so much hassle to move out and at least when we move, it's also costs quite a bit - might be worth meeting him halfway?

Advertisement