Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for .223 or .208 license

Options
  • 11-11-2011 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Ok so i have current license for shotgun and own rife now in fatehrs name as was under age when i owned it so on paper always been in my dads name

but i am looking getting a .223 or .308 rifle, so what requirements are there? i am member of a gun club but is there much more stringent criteria for larger caliber rifle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

You'll prob need a deer stalking licence for the .308...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Glensman wrote: »
    You'll prob need a deer stalking licence for the .308...

Or membership of a range

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

thats exactly what i taught, i take it .243 up you need a range or stalking license?

might look get the salking license instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

john_aero wrote: »
    Ok so i have current license for shotgun and own rife now in fatehrs name as was under age when i owned it so on paper always been in my dads name

but i am looking getting a .223 or .308 rifle, so what requirements are there? i am member of a gun club but is there much more stringent criteria for larger caliber rifle?
    Do you intend Deer stalking? Big difference in a .223 Vs .308.
    Supers often hesitate giving out Heavy Calibre rifles to anyone under 21. Especially if you have not had a licenced Rifle in your own name or a training cert.

I'd have a chat with the FO if I were you.
    And explain what you want it for.
    Vermin.
    Deer.
    Target shooting on an authorized Range.

Deer shooting is not something to enter lightly.
    Target shooting is an expensive sport for a teenager.

Make an informed decesion

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Supers often hesitate giving out Heavy Calibre rifles to anyone under 21.

Could you elaborate on that? First i'm hearing of it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Ezridax wrote: »
    Could you elaborate on that? First i'm hearing of it.
    I was one of them, back in the day.

If the Op is 18 with no experience of a Rifle licensed in his name the super will think long and hard before issuing a licence.

I know of several guys countrywide who had issues getting a Stalking Calibre with no previous Rifle licensed in their name and were not a member of an authorised range.

So its more related to a lack of experience than their age.

As you know they cannot refuse a license based on being under 21. They can if they feel your reason for wanting it is not valid. Its the exact same for a man of 45 that is only getting into shooting. He would suffer the same obstacles.

Hence the reason for the competency courses one must do before applying for or getting their first license for a particular type of firearm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ezridax wrote: »

As you know they cannot refuse a license based on being under 21. They can if they feel your reason for wanting it is not valid. Its the exact same for a man of 45 that is only getting into shooting. He would suffer the same obstacles.

Hence the reason for the competency courses one must do before applying for or getting their first license for a particular type of firearm.

No, my point is that age without any experience caused Supers to «hesitate»

I did not say refuse.
    I had to bring my dad with me when I wanted to licence my first 6.5x55.
    The words that were spoken to me were, do you not think this is just a "teenage phase"
    That was over 10 years ago and 3 Supers later, however I have heard several similar stories since from around the country

No, my point is that age without any experience caused Supers to «hesitate»

I said that. :confused:
    . Its the exact same for a man of 45 that is only getting into shooting. He would suffer the same obstacles

Just when you mentioned 21 i thought there was some sort of secret, Super agenda to decline, refuse, set conditions on or hesitate to give a license.

I appreciate that when a Super is giving out a license age may be a factor, but in law it isn't (once they're over 16). So if a Super handed out a license to a man of say 45-50 without seeking the same competency course certificates, and/or similar safety handling course as someone under 21 then it would be a fairly serious issue, and one that would warrant reporting and looking into.
    I did not say refuse.

I know. Slip of the finger. I'm used to saying granted or refused because hesitant is not a state of any license.
    I had to bring my dad with me when I wanted to licence my first 6.5x55.
    The words that were spoken to me were, do you not think this is just a "teenage phase"
    That was over 10 years ago and 3 Supers later, however I have heard several similar stories since from around the country

I'm fortunate enough to not have had those sort of issues. My first rifle was a .22, then Hornett, .243, 6.5, etc, etc.

Did you start of with a 6.5 or did you build up to it?

I got a .22lr in June. I bought a 6.5 in Sept.

I had a shotgun for a frw years before that.

Same station licenced an older guy I knew a stalking rifle the same year.
    My application sat in Limbo until I had an interview with my Dad and I present.

My Dad, gave me a compliment and said, even though he had a rifle since 1964, I was more adept with rifles than he was, snd that I was facinated by firearms since a child.

So going back to the OP.
    Know all your facts as a Super "may" grill U more than a 45 year old, as age "Normally" implies maturity and level headedness.

And as most Supers have teenage kids, they may "wrongly" think all "kids" have not the first clue, and thus a Calibre may be too much of a step.

And a "kid" is less likely to litigate for fiscal reasons.

These are my experiences, and those of collegues of mine.

• Advertisement

Therein lies the fundamental flaw.

I have often said on many threads that upcoming generations of shooters know more about firearms than the previous one. Not to be confused with experience, but with the array of information available to younger shooters they have a better understanding of firearms, balistics, etc, etc from the off. Experience they will gain over time, but not as many are walking into dealers and accepting the first thing handed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

Do you intend Deer stalking? Big difference in a .223 Vs .308.
    Supers often hesitate giving out Heavy Calibre rifles to anyone under 21. Especially if you have not had a licenced Rifle in your own name or a training cert.

I'd have a chat with the FO if I were you.
    And explain what you want it for.
    Vermin.
    Deer.
    Target shooting on an authorized Range.

Deer shooting is not something to enter lightly.
    Target shooting is an expensive sport for a teenager.

Make an informed decesion

ah i am nearly 30 lad???????

have shotgun but signed rifle over to my dad as didnt want ti while moving into new house.

have trainign cert done but was while ago so prob just re do it again.

we are already deer hunting, just i want start going huntin up wher ei live now so want my own rifle as long trip home when we want both go otu hunting

But i do understand what you mean, for a younger lad it was ok for me getting license years ago, it was small village, and was well know i hunt with my father since i could walk. Local garda knew us, had no issue regarding my experience and reason for wanting a gun.

now a little scummer from a dodgey background decides on his 18th he wants a shooter for fun, then yes i am sure the garda may say your not experienced, have no valid reason and your not a compentant lad.

sure i seen lads in garda station go up recently asking where do i get the forms to own a "6 shooter boss for sport boss"

Advertisement