Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fractal Warning

Options
  • 11-11-2011 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭

Just a warning to anyone buying a Fractal case. The front USB ports may be wired wrong and may damage anything that are plugged into them.

Take a look at this video to see how you can detect the problem before you destroy something. (I lost my new portable hard drive with all my media)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0fdv6YdYqQ

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

MagicSean wrote: »
    Just a warning to anyone buying a Fractal case. The front USB ports may be wired wrong and may damage anything that are plugged into them.

Take a look at this video to see how you can detect the problem before you destroy something. (I lost my new portable hard drive with all my media)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0fdv6YdYqQ

That was with a small batch of Define R2s a year and a half ago. I haven't heard of any problems with them since then. What case do you have and when did this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

deconduo wrote: »
    That was with a small batch of Define R2s a year and a half ago. I haven't heard of any problems with them since then. What case do you have and when did this happen?

R3. Only purchased it a a month or so ago. I've emailed them about it but haven't heard back.

R3. Only purchased it a a month or so ago. I've emailed them about it but haven't heard back.

And did rewiring the connection fix it? It seems strange that they would have the same problem on a new model. I haven't heard about it anywhere else either so I don't think its a widespread problem.

EDIT: Whats your motherboard as well. I found someone who thought they had the same problem but turned out to be the motherboard's fault. The first revision of the ASUS M4A8x mobos had a lot of USB grounding faults.

And did rewiring the connection fix it? It seems strange that they would have the same problem on a new model. I haven't heard about it anywhere else either so I don't think its a widespread problem.

i haven't tried it yet. If it doesn't fix it then I'll be down another usb device. As it is my iphone and new hard drive are broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I bought an R3 last week and there are no problems with the front USB on mine. Great case BTW.

• Advertisement

I bought an R3 last week and there are no problems with the front USB on mine. Great case BTW.

I must be just unlucky.

i haven't tried it yet. If it doesn't fix it then I'll be down another usb device. As it is my iphone and new hard drive are broken.

Yeah I wouldn't be convinced thats the problem at all then. Do you have a multimeter handy at all, that would be one way of checking where the source of the problem is.

-Whats your motherboard make/model
    -Have you used any other USB devices before the problem happened
    -What exactly happened.

-A picture of the motherboard would help a lot too btw, to make sure you've wired it up correctly.

Yeah I wouldn't be convinced thats the problem at all then. Do you have a multimeter handy at all, that would be one way of checking where the source of the problem is.

-Whats your motherboard make/model
    -Have you used any other USB devices before the problem happened
    -What exactly happened.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43884&agid=1601&lb

I used a memory key first. Nothing happened. Thought it was a loose connection so I checked all the connections. Tried it again with my portable hard-drive. It got very warm and wouldn't work. I thought it was a fault with the hard drive. Plugged my iphone in today and it turned off. When I turned it back on it had reset the date and time. I tried both of them in my laptop and neither are being recognised but both are receiving power.

It was pre-assembled by HWVS.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43884&agid=1601&lb

I used a memory key first. Nothing happened. Thought it was a loose connection so I checked all the connections. Tried it again with my portable hard-drive. It got very warm and wouldn't work. I thought it was a fault with the hard drive. Plugged my iphone in today and it turned off. When I turned it back on it had reset the date and time. I tried both of them in my laptop and neither are being recognised but both are receiving power.

It was pre-assembled by HWVS.

I don't think HWVS would have wired it incorrectly, but to make sure could you take a picture of this part of the motherboard:

CQDo9.png

There's nothing plugged in in the area you have marked. The wire marked "usb" is plugged in just above the red box you have marked.

• Advertisement

There's nothing plugged in in the area you have marked. The wire marked "usb" is plugged in just above the red box you have marked.

Ahhh the idiots plugged it into the firewire port :mad: There's your problem, I'd get on the phone with HWVS and have an angry conversation with them. It should be plugged into the red port.

Ahhh the idiots plugged it into the firewire port :mad: There's your problem, I'd get on the phone with HWVS and have an angry conversation with them. It should be plugged into the red port.

Where should it be plugged in? I just finished rewiring the dam thing like on the video. Guess I'll have to switch it back. Thanks for the help.

Where should it be plugged in? I just finished rewiring the dam thing like on the video. Guess I'll have to switch it back. Thanks for the help.

The red port just below where it is plugged in. The red shielding is a weird thing that only MSI do for their newer motherboards, so I guess thats why the guys assembling it ****ed up. Normally it would just be plain like the firewire port is.

The red port just below where it is plugged in. The red shielding is a weird thing that only MSI do for their newer motherboards, so I guess thats why the guys assembling it ****ed up. Normally it would just be plain like the firewire port is.

Seems to be working now. It didn't turn off the iphone anyway. Bit hesitant to try it with something that works though, not that I have much left to try with. Thanks for all the help.

Anyone speak German so i can write a strongly worded email?

Seems to be working now. It didn't turn off the iphone anyway. Bit hesitant to try it with something that works though, not that I have much left to try with. Thanks for all the help.

Anyone speak German so i can write a strongly worded email?

You're better off to ring them, they tend to take ages to respond to emails. Just ask for an english speaker when you get through and they'll put one on to you. Their customer service is pretty good once you get on the line with them so you shouldn't have any bother.

You're better off to ring them, they tend to take ages to respond to emails. Just ask for an english speaker when you get through and they'll put one on to you. Their customer service is pretty good once you get on the line with them so you shouldn't have any bother.

It's a shame I didn't cop this earlier. I could have disputed the payment with paypal and gotten some of my money back to replace the items I lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

there usually isn't any English speakers working on the weekends so you might be out of luck till monday. I've had alot of dealings with them w.r.t. RMAs etc and they've fantastic service. if you don't have a landline then use Google's phone service, its far cheaper than Skype.

seems like an innocent accident to me, but i hope you get this sorted out anyway. keep us updated.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    there usually isn't any English speakers working on the weekends so you might be out of luck till monday. I've had alot of dealings with them w.r.t. RMAs etc and they've fantastic service. if you don't have a landline then use Google's phone service, its far cheaper than Skype.

seems like an innocent accident to me, but i hope you get this sorted out anyway. keep us updated.

Innocent or not, I'm still down an iphone. I'm not expecting much from them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Innocent or not, I'm still down an iphone. I'm not expecting much from them though.

Under EU law the producer is liable for damage caused by a defective product. HWVS would definitely be considered the producer since they specifically took part in the assembly process that caused the damage.

However if they actually decide to be difficult then you're looking at an awful lot of hassle compared to buying something locally. Go to the consumer rights forum for the best advice if you end up going down that road. But they definitely are liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That's a bad mistake by HWV. An easy enough mistake to make for a new builder but unacceptable for a paid service that should have better quality control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Its good to know that the law is fully on your side.
    I hope their manager speaks English.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Its good to know that the law is fully on your side.
    I hope their manager speaks English.

I tried today but there was no english speaker. I'll just wait til Monday and see. Might be able to find a German speaker somewhere to help me.

Got through to HWVS today and got an English speaker. They want me to rewire the system to the way it was when I received it and send it back along with my iphone and hard drive for them to test it. I think I'll just take it as a lesson learned and never use them again. Thankfully I was due a cheap upgrade to the iphone 4s so I'm only down the portable hard drive and memory key.

Advertisement