Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plantation & ESB overhead line

• 11-11-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Thinking of ash planting a small field 2-3 acres, problem is theres a esb line going thru the centre of the field:rolleyes:...... what width of a path do i have to leave under the line for esb access ect..... (its poles not pylons)

thanks..............cc30

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The sterile area they require is 10 meters either side, so 20 meters wide in total. Your forester will know for sure.
    If you have road frontage or a watercourse involved, they'll need 10 metres too, so you won't have much left out of 2-3 acres :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

if you drawing forestry premium you will get compensation from the esb in lieu of the land underneath the cables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

And you can always plant a couple of hundred xmas trees in this area-handy few bob in a couple of years-ESB wont mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Crackcrack30,

And thanks everyone else for your input. :)

If you like, you could also contact our colleagues ESB Networks - all their contact details are here.

In addition, this link on their website might be of help to you.

All the best,
    Una

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Can you still plant trees which you intend to coppice which obviously will not get high enough to touch the wires?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

fodda wrote: »
    Can you still plant trees which you intend to coppice which obviously will not get high enough to touch the wires?

As long as ESB can get access to the wires and as long as the trees aren't a potential problem, they generally won't care. It's a right of way for access to the wire and as far as I am aware does not allow them to road the corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Hi Guys,

Thinking of ash planting a small field 2-3 acres, problem is theres a esb line going thru the centre of the field:rolleyes:...... what width of a path do i have to leave under the line for esb access ect..... (its poles not pylons)

thanks..............cc30

You don't have to leave any path or access for the ESB.

It's your choice.

If you want to leave a certain width free of trees then the ESB will say thanks vey much but you're at a loss of that planting.

If you want to plant trees under the line and the ESB doesn't want you to do this then you can offer them an easement in return for compensation.

If you plant your trees and the ESB want to access the land then they have to compulsorily acquire an easement and pay you compensation.

This is a "Policy" that may guide you. However, be careful with the information they present in this, the "Policy" is strongly worded in favour of the ESB.
    http://www.ifa.ie/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=8r4-ZhcrG7s=&tabid=654&mid=2535

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Thanks guys.,

Thanks for link loremolis, delighted with the facts.......... all the info needed inside. cheers....cc30

Thanks guys.,

Thanks for link loremolis, delighted with the facts.......... all the info needed inside. cheers....cc30

No problem.

Just bear in mind that you own the land and they they need an easement from you in order to prevent you from planting trees wherever you want on your land.

If they want the easement then they have to pay compensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

snowman707 wrote: »
    if you drawing forestry premium you will get compensation from the esb in lieu of the land underneath the cables
    loremolis wrote: »
    You don't have to leave any path or access for the ESB.

It's your choice.

If you want to leave a certain width free of trees then the ESB will say thanks vey much but you're at a loss of that planting.

If you want to plant trees under the line and the ESB doesn't want you to do this then you can offer them an easement in return for compensation.

If you plant your trees and the ESB want to access the land then they have to compulsorily acquire an easement and pay you compensation.

This is a "Policy" that may guide you. However, be careful with the information they present in this, the "Policy" is strongly worded in favour of the ESB.
    http://www.ifa.ie/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=8r4-ZhcrG7s=&tabid=654&mid=2535

the esb will pay you compo, there are rates agreed through the ifa
    the gap you will leave will depend on the voltage of the line overhead
    you will not be at a loss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sardonic

I am in the process of filling the form for compensation for loss of Tree Planting Rights from ESB. Just wondering if its worth it. €120 a year for 20 years, lump sum of €2400. The form wants to know its estimated market value for 2.7 hect, do I have to get an auctioneer to value it:( more money or how much is forestry land worth these days and could I put in that estimate.

sardonic wrote: »
    I am in the process of filling the form for compensation for loss of Tree Planting Rights from ESB. Just wondering if its worth it. €120 a year for 20 years, lump sum of €2400. The form wants to know its estimated market value for 2.7 hect, do I have to get an auctioneer to value it:( more money or how much is forestry land worth these days and could I put in that estimate.

Can you give a little more info?

Where did you get the figures of €120 per year and the lump sum of €2,400?

If you intend to use the land for forestry and you cannot do so because of the electricity line then the ESB require an easement in order to prevent you from planting trees. Have they looked for an easement?

If they require an easement then they must compensate you for the reduction in value of the land that you cannot use due to the presence of the line. Without having all of the facts, €2,400 still seems very little compensation in return for sterilising the land for forestry use forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

just put the value down as €3300/acre. whoever planted it for you should be helping you process the application, its like bread and butter to them. give em a ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

the figure is agreed compo with the IFA as was mentioned

If you intend to use the land for forestry and you cannot do so because of the electricity line then the ESB require an easement in order to prevent you from planting trees. Have they looked for an easement?

it doesnt work like this in the real world of forestry, the forest service stop payment at form 2 stage if the esb corridor isnt left.

If they require an easement then they must compensate you for the reduction in value of the land that you cannot use due to the presence of the line. Without having all of the facts, €2,400 still seems very little compensation in return for sterilising the land for forestry use forever.

again this is agreed and negotiated compo, remember a long length of esb line might only take up 1/2 an acre or 3/4 or whatever

_____

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sardonic

Got the figure from the forestry when they had finished planting outlining the unplanted area. Was told to contact ESB about it, so did that and they sent out a form looking for details on what was planted, maps, folio number, solicter details and that if the legal fees go over €850 I will have to pay remainder.
    It looks like take or leave it to me. Rang the forester yesterday still waiting for him to get back to me.

Got the figure from the forestry when they had finished planting outlining the unplanted area.

This is between you and the ESB. Why should forestry tell you what compensation you can ask for?
    Was told to contact ESB about it, so did that and they sent out a form looking for details on what was planted, maps, folio number, solicter details and that if the legal fees go over €850 I will have to pay remainder.

If they have asked for the folio number then they want an easement. If they want an easement by agreement then you can ask whatever you like.
    It looks like take or leave it to me. Rang the forester yesterday still waiting for him to get back to me

It's not take it or leave it when the compensation is being "agreed".
    That's only their first offer. You hardly expect them to offer you tens of thousands when they think they will get away with hundreds.

You can either take their pittance or you can ask them for a reasonable offer. Forget the "agreed IFA rates", this is a direct negotiation between you and the ESB.

They have prevented you from planting trees on your land and have offered you the bare minimum in compensation in return for an easement which sterilises the land for as long as they want.

If they want you to agree to willingly sterilise your land then they have to pay a little bit more than the market value.

Their alternative is to compulsorily acquire the easement but they never do that because it is too much hassle for them. They would rather pay you more because it is simpler for them and they don't have to account for it.

Advertisement