Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memory upgrade, what'll I do?

• 11-11-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi.

I have a HP ProBook 4730s. It has a single 4GB DDR3 1333 SODIMM Ram module installed. I would like to upgrade to 8GB.

Do I get 2 x 4GB pieces and replace / sell the original? Reason I ask this is that I'm wondering if the new ram can then act in dual channel mode? and is there any great advantage to that?

or

do I just get another 4GB piece and add it to the existing 4?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just get one other 4GB module surely. Why replace that at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭m1nder

It's too late I'm afraid:D Already ordered an 8GB kit.
    Its just that AFAIK, RAM will work in dual channel mode, but only if you populate both slots with identical modules. I found it difficult to source an identical module to the existing. So I went for 2 x 4GB G.Skill modules. Only cost 40 quid with free delivery. I have the existing module for sale now. I might get 20 quid for it. Either way, its all so dam cheap, no harm done.

Advertisement