Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 playoff Ireland v Estonia.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

As much as we seem to think we are well and through, don't you think you are all being a tad disrespectful to Estonia?

Look at it this way - no-one would have expected Estonia to go down 4-0 to Ireland at home, but that is exactly what happened. So what is to say that Ireland won't go down 4-0 at home to Estonia next Tuesday?

Have some respect and wait until the final whistle on Tuesday before jumping ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I may be late on the scene but...

YESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done lads. You did the nation proud! I watched it in an Irish bar in Manchester and the place was buzzing and the party continued for a good while!

(if something awful doesn't happen) We're all off to Poland lads, wheeey!!!!! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So what is to say that Ireland won't go down 4-0 at home to Estonia next Tuesday?

Ireland could field a team of cardboard cut outs on Tuesday & Estonia still wouldn't score & would still probably manage to have some of their players sent off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭crash davis

As much as we seem to think we are well and through, don't you think you are all being a tad disrespectful to Estonia?

Look at it this way - no-one would have expected Estonia to go down 4-0 to Ireland at home, but that is exactly what happened. So what is to say that Ireland won't go down 4-0 at home to Estonia next Tuesday?

Have some respect and wait until the final whistle on Tuesday before jumping ahead.

They never had a clear cut chance, we've never conceded that many goals under Trap and the way they lost their heads at home makes me believe they'll just be making up the numbers in Dublin.

0-0 will suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

To be fair they're missing the captain, defender and the first choice keeper(who is ****) for the return leg.

We're through and it's not being disrespectful, it's being honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It is Estonia 2011 that Ireland as playing next tuesday ( bar 1 or 2 of their first team players ) not the Brazil team of Mexico 1970 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

For people saying Ireland don't have the players to play football, your wrong. ireland played football in france and passed france off the park for long periods of the game. we cant play barcelona style football but by playing the right players we could clearly play better football than we do, but I dont think we'd get the same results.
    belgium are an example of a talented team who at times play good football but then just implode kamikazee style and never qualify for anything. would we be happy to be a belgium(talented team who never do anything) or a greece(not the best but qualify regularly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Latchy wrote: »
    It is Estonia 2011 that Ireland as playing next tuesday ( bar 1 or 2 of their first team players ) not the Brazil team of Mexico 1970 .

I reckon we could beat that team too. Most of them are probably OAPs by now.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    For people saying Ireland don't have the players to play football, your wrong. ireland played football in france and passed france off the park for long periods of the game. we cant play barcelona style football but by playing the right players we could clearly play better football than we do, but I dont think we'd get the same results.
    belgium are an example of a talented team who at times play good football but then just implode kamikazee style and never qualify for anything. would we be happy to be a belgium(talented team who never do anything) or a greece(not the best but qualify regularly)

First point - Belgium never qualify
    Second point - Greece qualify because of their world ranking on the back of their Euro win.
    Third point - France were absolute crap (as illustrated clearly the next summer)

Conclusion - This is the only way we can play that guarantees results.

belgium are an example of a talented team who at times play kamikazee football and never qualify for anything. would we be happy to be a belgium(talented team who never do anything) or a greece(not the best but qualify regularly)
    Belgium fcuked Ireland over ( under Eoin Hand ) back in the early 80s when a dodgy free kick decision resulted in a goal that knocked Ireland out of Euro 80 ( I think ) so talented team aside , it's as much to do with on the spot decisions by referees that can mean the difference between qualifying for competions as anything and we have been there before in Bulgaria ( early 80s ) and Paris ( late 70s ) before the Henry ,world cup qualifier , hand ball incident .

• Advertisement

yeah but its nothing to do with who the team is, the match against france showed the players can play football and pass it which amazingly the team seems so resistant to do, like at times it was like richard dunne is the playmaker, every pass seems to be part of a plan to get the ball to him punt it forward.
    there is no xavis, not even the talented ball players that we have but dont play come close but they're professional footballers, they should know how to pass the ball about. stephen kelly actually seemed tonight to actively not want to pass the ball, same with dunne.

Dotrel wrote: »
    I reckon we could beat that team too. Most of them are probably OAPs by now.
    A team of Irish OAP beating a team of Brazilian OAP ? ...no chance .

Brazilians do things au- natural ...not by watching highlights of MOTD .

yeah but its nothing to do with who the team is, the match against france showed the players can play football and pass it which amazingly the team seems so resistant to do, like at times it was like richard dunne is the playmaker, every pass seems to be part of a plan to get the ball to him punt it forward.

Sorry, it has everything to do with the opponent and the situation. We had literally nothing to lose in Paris so we played with a certain freedom. The fact that France were absolutely crap helped us no end.

All that Paris proved to me is that we have a group of players with heart and pride. If we were that amazing we would have scored after Henry's cheating.

The simple truth is that we don't have the players to compete with the world's elite on a passing and creative level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

The McGeady theory
    So Trap insist on playing him on the left instead of Hunt. I put it to the honourable people in AH that the reason for this is that nobody is able to run faster with the ball to the corner flag.

Sarcasm aside, its depressing to watch a guy with so much skill be unable/unwilling to pass. He will take on a defender, beat him, then inexplicably stop, allowing the defender to catch up, close the angle. Inevitably, he will end up at the corner flag

IN BEFORE: ASSIST FOR THE FIRST!

i like mcgeady but even his ability to beat defenders is overrated, he's just not quick enough or intelligent enough at times to truly beat defenders. He is skillfull but makes poor choices and rarely capitalises fully in good positions...now i am a mcgeady fan but he annoys me. i honestly think he's better running directly though midfield as like a number 10 than an out and out winger.
    i think he doesnt come across as brilliant because hes our 1 danger at the moment now that duff is no longer a flying winger so he really is marked so tightly so is hard for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

The McGeady theory
    So Trap insist on playing him on the left instead of Hunt. I put it to the honourable people in AH that the reason for this is that nobody is able to run faster with the ball to the corner flag.

Sarcasm aside, its depressing to watch a guy with so much skill be unable/unwilling to pass. He will take on a defender, beat him, then inexplicably stop, allowing the defender to catch up, close the angle. Inevitably, he will end up at the corner flag

IN BEFORE: ASSIST FOR THE FIRST!

McGeady was brilliant tonight. Aswell as being a constant threat he set up one goal with a brilliant cross and hit a good free-kick for another which Robbie followed up on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Discussion can continue over in the soccer forum like i said earlier.

Thread may be reopened on tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Re-opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I don't know much about football, but why when we played in Estonia were we playing white tshirts but in Ireland we're in green (while Estonia were blue in both games)? I thought away shirts were only worn when they clashed with the other team's colours?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

C'mon Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Theres no way Estonia could score 5 is there?

It's annoyed for years that Brendan Fraser in the movie Encino Man said he was from Estonia rather than the much more clever answer of Lithuania.

Shocking writing. I'd honestly have expected more from a Pauly Shore movie.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Does anyone know where I can get some green condoms?

I don't know much about football, but why when we played in Estonia were we playing white tshirts but in Ireland we're in green (while Estonia were blue in both games)? I thought away shirts were only worn when they clashed with the other team's colours?

Was just answered on the Soccer Forum. Marketing reasons.

;)

Not that I'd ever buy an Ireland Shirt whislt it has a sponsor emblazed across the front of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Shake Mary Harney, hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Under my bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

These Estonians are fairly fooking dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

irish-stew wrote: »
    Theres no way Estonia could score 5 is there?

You couldn't help chuckling if they did. At least the players would have to give back their sorely needed bonuses.

Can see another Estonian or two getting sent off before the game is over.

stovelid wrote: »
    You couldn't help chuckling if they did. At least the players would have to give back their sorely needed bonuses.

I dont think I would ever support the Irish team again if they did.

• Advertisement

Paper Airplanes. LOL. How un orriginal, we were making them at the Cup Final there last weekend.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What are the odds that the FAI will be in trouble because of those paper airplanes been thrown onto the field?

It's actually forbidden by UEFA to..
    ..throw objects or liquids of any kind, particularly in the direction of an-other person or in the direction of the area around the pitch or the pitch itself

You can see why Trapp doesn't let them play football, they're bloody useless when they try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I'm stuck to listening online, Ward sounds like he's having a good game

Is that true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

RachaelVO wrote: »

Is that true?

RTE are streaming it live in HD.........

http://www.rte.ie/sport/livestreaming/hd/

EDIT: 1-0 ireland (5-0 agg)

Is that true?

Well he just scored. Is that good enough for you?

If it was only a 1 or 2 goal advantage you might be on edge but 4 is a comfortable

1-000000000000000000000000:D

Thrill wrote: »
    RTE are streaming it live in HD.........

http://www.rte.ie/sport/livestreaming/hd/

EDIT 1-0 ireland

Yeah I know, but my Irish VPN won't stream it properly, so I'm stuck to listening to it... Delighted he scrored :D
    Dotrel wrote: »
    Well he just scored. Is that good enough for you?

More than good enough

I think it might be safe to book the tickets now.

My live streams a bit iffy tonight but getting most of the sound and picture .

http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/92085/1/watch-ireland-vs-estonia.html

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    My live streams a bit iffy tonight but getting most of the sound and picture .

http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/92085/1/watch-ireland-vs-estonia.html

You're a superstar, thanks a million :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

*Throws a paper airplane*

You're a superstar, thanks a million :D:D:D
    A pleasure ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

irish-stew wrote: »
    I think it might be safe to book the tickets now.

Yup, guess I'll be visiting Poland for the first time next summer, the BF will be dragging me there.

Yup, guess I'll be visiting Poland for the first time next summer, the BF will be dragging me there.

You might end up in the Ukraine

"We're not Barcelona, Bill"

Liam Brady, legendary pundit, 15-11-11

"We're not Barcelona, Bill"

Liam Brady, legendary pundit, 15-11-11

PLEASE tell me that comment is DRIPPING with sarcasm...

'' Golie could have thrown his cap on it ''

Liam Brady

• Advertisement

The RTE panel look like four ghosts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement