Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What To Do On Your Day Off?

Options
  • 11-11-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Right Folks,

I'm hoping you can help me with this one. We moved out to Balbriggan from the city centre earlier this year and my good lady is complaining to me that she's bored on her days off.

She won't pay the €8.40 for the train into town (this is a whole other issue) so I'm wondering what do you do with your days off in and around the area that you live.

I've suggested that she could go for a drive around the countryside or that she could take the bike and cycle as we have some lovely quiet roads. Heading to Castlemill obviously isn't an option every day and she has popped into the library the odd time.

What attractions are there in NCD to keep someone busy on a day off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

There is plenty to do out these parts but it takes time to get to know the area well.

Cycling is one great way to get out and know the area. From Balbriggan she could easily cycle up through Balrothery and on in to Ardgillen. Or head out towards the Naul and do a loop in the that area.

Skerries and Rush are only a short hop from Balbriggan and a nice loop would be to go from Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Lusk, Man O War and home. Take a break and have a coffee or tea half way. She could also drive to one of the beachs park the car and have a walk. The South Beach in Rush is very popular with walkers and it is a right good walk from one to the other and back.

Each town has something worth visiting from Ardgillen to Skerries mills, Rush Library or the Drummanagh (Martello Tower) between Rush and Loughshinng which is a nice walk.

Does yhe good lady have any hobbies? Photography? Plenty to photograph in the area and some of them can be found here.........
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055683171&page=8

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

As has been mentioned previously, she could go for a walk on one of the beaches, there are some lovely beaches in NCD. If she drove to Skerries she could go for a nice long walk around the harbour and beach and stop and have a coffee in one of the local cafes before she heads home. There is also Malahide, with its boutiques (good for window shopping) cafes, pubs and restaurants and walks. Malahide Castle is lovely for a walk around and has a coffee shop inside the castle. One of my favourite walks is the clifftop between Portrane and Donabate.

If she fancied some shopping, there is the Pavillions of course and going the other direction there are lots of shops in Drogheda. There is the library in Balbriggan, the cinemas in Swords and if she really doesn't want to pay for train fair she could drive into the city centre!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

eh! theres a cinema in balbriggan too
    walk from balbriggan all the way north to sailors grave and back
    library as mentioned
    skerries all of its harbour and coastal amenities
    any number of cafes in both balbriggan and skerries
    farmers market on a thurs or fri morning in balbriggan
    cycling to naul, gormanston castle, ardgillan castle (has a coffee shop) skerries (15 mins by bike)
    drive to swords (12 minutes on m1)
    drive to drogheda (15 minutes up old dublin road avoiding toll) scotch hall, laurence street shopping centre and all of droghedas ameneties!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you don't have a car and don't want to get the train and don't know people to do stuff with then it can be a little boring.

I used to go to the library,go to the cinema and walk around the town and when I got tired of that would drive to other places.

If she gets involved in a local club it makes life easier and if you have kids Pjs play centre or meeting other mammies for coffee helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Walk to Ardgillan along the Skerries road and across the Ladys Stairs. Then she can stop for a coffee and a scone and wander around the house. There is nearly always an art exhibition on.

The Platinum Gym is good and has loads of classes if that is her thing.

Balbriggan.info and Balbriggan.net are good for letting you know what is on around the area.

Its hard to suggest things when we don't know her hobbies. There are a few more shops open in Millfield now - I am sure you could pass a bit of time there.

Drogheda is a decent size town just up the road with a good shopping centre, pool in the Aura Gym etc. Quite historical to walk around too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement