Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuuuuuck at 1020

Options
  • 11-11-2011 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so reckon i pitched in too much sweets at the start...

OG 1045
    Current G 1019 (for last 7 days!!)

Copers Wheat + 1kg spray malt +200 odd grams brew sugar + Honey!!

Very quick initial fermentation Krausen subsided after 2 days but I had to go away for a week, came back and it's been stuck since, doesn't smell bad or anything though..

Temp of storage is about 18degrees so finally got it together to up the temp a bit tonight...

In the meantime ....Any options?
    I still have a second packet of yeast if that's any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Fermenting in the 18-20 C range is usually fine for an ale. If you ferment below 18C the fermentation could slow or stop altogether. The yeast can drop to the bottom of the fermenter if fermentation temp gets too cold for the yeast. You can rouse the yeast at the bottom of the fermenter with a long sanitised spoon etc to get the fermentation going again. Just rouse yeast slowly to avoid creating bubbles to not oxidise the beer. A lot of beer kits finish in the 1012-1016 range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

mayto wrote: »
    Fermenting in the 18-20 C range is usually fine for an ale. If you ferment below 18C the fermentation could slow or stop altogether. The yeast can drop to the bottom of the fermenter if fermentation temp gets too cold for the yeast. You can rouse the yeast at the bottom of the fermenter with a long sanitised spoon etc to get the fermentation going again. Just rouse yeast slowly to avoid creating bubbles to not oxidise the beer. A lot of beer kits finish in the 1012-1016 range.

Ok will give it a wee shtur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

mayto wrote: »

Ok bottled that a while ago and it;s turning out pretty fine, not quite hoegarden but pretty close with a nice clean taste...

i think the secret is LOADS of sugar... Primed with a good bit of sugar too..

Takes a bit of skill in opening and pouring (well chilled is the way to go)

Advertisement