Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New stove - a lot of smoke!

• 11-11-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

The first fire in my new stove is about 1 hour old and the room is full of smoke! I was expecting the smells (like rubber/ glue) but should there be smoke coming from it?

It's a stovax installed by one of most reputable stove companies in the country and the chimney was cleaned on Tuesday in advance of its installation. The house is 7 years old but this is the first time a fire has been lit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

An installer who has not tried out his job, has de-facto not comissioned it should not be paid.
    Send him the bill for a new carpet and cleaning, wall papers etc...that' ll make him think about his 'reputation'.
    And you as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Most likely it's the paint "curing" or buring off with the heat. It's totally normal.

You should have a low fire for the first few fires. It will take about a week for the fumes / smoke to disappear completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Avns1s wrote: »
    Most likely it's the paint "curing" or buring off with the heat. It's totally normal.

You should have a low fire for the first few fires. It will take about a week for the fumes / smoke to disappear completely.

Yes it looks like this could be the reason. It appears to be rising off the entire top surface of the stove, as apposed to leakage from the outlet. It's a low enough fire, just a few bits of timber.

The other half's away till Sunday so I'm hoping a fire tonight and tomorrow night will sort it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

In my experience the first couple of fires will be the worst by far. Having said that, you'll be lucky to be totally clear after 2 nights.

It can be really annoying. It can fill the room with smoke and fumes enough to leave you breathless. I have tried to fit stoves such that you can run it for a day with the windows open and get rid of the worst of it.

It'll be worth it all in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 romukief

Hi, Can I ask you how much did you pay for the stove installation and exactly what was included (materials) in the price.
    Did you install a liner in the chimney?insulation?
    Which company did the installation for you?
    Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement

Funny how some posters are helpful and others aren't;).

Stove is in a week now and working out great. Sure enough there was a lot of smoke within the first 2 maybe 3 hours but then that stopped. I assume it was paint/ chemicals/ glue burning off. The smells took 2 days to disappear. So happy enough with that.

It's been on 24/7 since getting it in, just smoldering away. We're very happy with it, the room itself is now toasty - dangerous to sit on the couch now as we've had a few long naps since getting it in:D Also our bedroom above it is no longer cold. The OH is happy so I'm happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Sounds nice - Result!

romukief wrote: »
    Hi, Can I ask you how much did you pay for the stove installation and exactly what was included (materials) in the price.
    Did you install a liner in the chimney?insulation?
    Which company did the installation for you?
    Thanks a lot.

PM sent;)

Advertisement