Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM says 'insufficiant funds' but there's money in the account.

• 11-11-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

What the title says, any reason for this? I'm with bank of Ireland, I got paid into my account today and all I could take out was €20 for some random reason. I haven't reached a limit, haven't used the atm in over a week and I don't owe the bank anything. It's very frustrating!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Was your wages paid in by chq? If so it not cleared.

If not then contact customer support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Was your wages paid in by chq? If so it not cleared.

If not then contact customer support.
    Your unclebill speaks the truth, your wages have gone in but they havent cleared, sorry to say but you could be skint til monday! hope you were'nt paid with a rubber cheque!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

conti wrote: »
    What the title says, any reason for this? I'm with bank of Ireland, I got paid into my account today and all I could take out was €20 for some random reason. I haven't reached a limit, haven't used the atm in over a week and I don't owe the bank anything. It's very frustrating!

Can you get a mini statement from your own banks machine? I take it you dont have internet banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

It was direct bank transfer, and it was from Bank Of Ireland too which should make it instant. Granted it was done at around 4 o'clock so maybe business hours were over for them? But then why is it showing up in my balance? @wmpdd3 I do have internet banking, both my statement and online balance show that the money is there. And another question is why did it let me take out the €20? There was a few cents in there in the first place, nothing else. The €20 was part of what I got paid, why did it only let me take out a small bit?

This has never happened before. btw I've tried AIB, Ulster Bank, Permanent TSB and BOI machines with no luck. I'm too embarassed to try and buy something with laser in case it doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

In that case your laser will not work.

Contact banking 365, don't want to worry you but there could be a pending transaction sucking up your balance or another reason but I'd get cracking on finding out.

• Advertisement

In that case your laser will not work.

Contact banking 365, don't want to worry you but there could be a pending transaction sucking up your balance or another reason but I'd get cracking on finding out.

Believe me I want to get cracking on finding out, but I'm a bit helpless as it's the weekend. I'd love to get someone on the phone to shout at about this! I had an insanely busy week and I was looking forward to a weeekend of playing Skyrim which I now can't buy thanks to this screw-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hmmm, the exact same thing happened a friend of mine last weekend. Plenty of money in the account yet 'insufficient funds' when he tried to get some of it from a number of different ATM's...

Bug in a software update on the pass machines or the banks trying to preserve their cash balances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

That happened to me also last week, same thing exactly. Because my card is foreign I assumed it was a temporary bug with foreign cards. Money I was trying to withdraw has been there ages, hadn't maxed up my transactions for that stretch of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Try your card TODAY.

Don't wait until Monday - if it's available Monday then it's available Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've deleted two pointless posts. Unless you have something constructive to add, please don't post.

• Advertisement

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Try your card TODAY.

Don't wait until Monday - if it's available Monday then it's available Saturday.

Tried today, even a BOI machine that showed my balance. It says

Total Balance: Plenty
    Max Withdrawal: 0.00

WTF?

Mystery. If paid electronically then the funds should be automatically cleared. Possibly it's a pending debit item that's hitting it. Any big direct debits / standing orders due?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Had the same issue with a BoI credit card a coupla weeks ago, tried all 3 ATMs they had and none would allow a cash advance even though I was well below the limit and had no pending transactions.

One thing I will say though is that I used to be able to withdraw cash from the ATM straight after lodging a cheque, as could my sister up til the summer. Not now though.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Any big direct debits / standing orders due?

Nothing! This account is as clean as a whistle, never been in the red, I don't have an overdraft, no direct debits, I pay my bills with online transfers.

you need to ring 365 - and see if they can explain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Its possible their network was down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Another possibility is that there is a limit to how much money you can withdraw from an ATM in any given period. So if you've withdrawn over a certain amount this week/month, it will block you from taking out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I've heard of daily limits, but monthly limits?

It's bad enough BOI acting the bollix with mortgage interest rates, but holding on to your hard earned is a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I've heard of daily limits, but monthly limits?
    I've come across them myself, although not in Ireland. It's possible that they have introduced such limits and that customers have either not been informed or have not bothered to read such information.

It's also possible that it has absolutely nothing to do with withdrawal limits and is, as has been suggested, a software or communications glitch. As I said, it's only a possibility to consider.

Advertisement