Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haggart?

• 11-11-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Heard this mentioned a lot lately in relation to farms. Just wondering what it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

antlyn wrote: »
    Heard this mentioned a lot lately in relation to farms. Just wondering what it is?

In the West, a haggart would be a Small field close to the house with a strong perimeter fence or wall where the hay reeks used to be stored to feed the stock for the Winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

antlyn wrote: »
    Long time since I heard that. It's the yard or old farmyards that had a 1/4 acre beside the sheds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's an old term for a hayshed, particularly, in my opinion, an open-sided one.

I'd have always spelled it 'Haggard' though, but I doubt there's an OED approved spelling :)

EDITED TO ADD:
    According to dictionary.com:
    haggard (ˈhæɡərd)
    —n
    (in Ireland and the Isle of Man) an enclosure beside a farmhouse in which crops are stored
    [C16: related to Old Norse heygarthr, from hey hay + garthr yard]

So, it looks like it's the small enclosed field, not the open hayshed I've spent my life thinking it was :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Bodacious wrote: »
    In the West, a haggart would be a Small field close to the house with a strong perimeter fence or wall where the hay reeks used to be stored to feed the stock for the Winter

Yup, that's my understanding of it too, we have one beside a field where most of the hay used to be cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Where I grew up the Haggard was the small 1/4 Acre or so area off the yard' behind the sheds where the Pikes (Reeks) of hay were kept. Spuds were kept there in a pit too.
    I might add, it's still there. It's a long time since hay was in it but it grows spuds and veg every year. it's still called the haggard though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Bizzum wrote: »
    Where I grew up the Haggard was the small 1/4 Acre or so area off the yard' behind the sheds where the Pikes (Reeks) of hay were kept. Spuds were kept there in a pit too.
    I might add, it's still there. It's a long time since hay was in it but it grows spuds and veg every year. it's still called the haggard though!

yep I am the same as that. Still have it although it has nearly become part of the farmyard as it expanded. Still call it the haggard though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

yea we had a haggard remember it well 4 stands for the barley and oats. these were stacks that were raised of the ground on standing stones criss crossed with wooden poles. 6 big cocks of hay and mangolds and turnips stored along by the walls covered with straw. big cocks of hay made out in the fields as well with a pole up the middle known as sheep cocks, as the sheep ate the hay it would slide down the pole. memories memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

we had great times when the thresher came around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Yep, it's still there and still called the Haggard. The little field at the back of my Grandparents house. I suppose in today's world, it would be called the back lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

pakalasa wrote: »
    Yep, it's still there and still called the Haggard. The little field at the back of my Grandparents house. I suppose in today's world, it would be called the back lawn.

Yes, and five years ago it would have been covered in the most God awful crappy timber and called "the deck", the best place to slip and break your neck outside of cold weather and icy conditions :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement