Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brookfield, Tallaght

Options
  • 11-11-2011 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hi again

I will be grateful for all information and opinions about Brookfield. Life,schools,people etc.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Cons: Pajama fahsion. Halting site. Litter. Jobless. Windy. Council estate. Molly heffernans bar. Drugs

Pros: Near things are are not in jobstown. The square, the luas. Citywest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 marigo1

Cons: Pajama fahsion. Halting site. Litter. Jobless. Windy. Council estate. Molly heffernans bar. Drugs

Pros: Near things are are not in jobstown. The square, the luas. Citywest.

Haha..thanks....

I'm afraid that jobless...and windy is all Irl actually -lol...

marigo1 wrote: »
    Haha..thanks....

I'm afraid that jobless...and windy is all Irl actually -lol...

:) your not wrong there. I'm from Tallaght originally and its fecking windy there!

so...what part of Tallaght would be the best option for family with small kids?

Which estate in Brookfield specifically?

The area is not as bad as some detractors make it out to be.

I have lived in both Brookfield and Jobstown, since 1984 and I've survived.

• Advertisement

Which estate in Brookfield specifically?

The area is not as bad as some detractors make it out to be.

I have lived in both Brookfield and Jobstown, since 1984 and I've survived.

Brookview Lawns , Cloonmore Road
    Rossfield Way
    we are also thinking about Knockmore area and Kiltalown Road,,but it's not a brookfield I think....

There are many lovely properties in Tallaght-also in Jobstown, for more or less,but to be honest don;t know what is " good" and what's " bad ". everyone can have different expectations.Something good for one may be a disaster for other....
    We are looking for a space for the rest of life, with own home,where kids can grow up having a happy childhood....
    Now we are living in Rathfarnham,and unfortunately-kids can't play safely.It's seemingly good area,but my son is regularly persecuted simply because he was a Pole ( but it's a different story -not for this thread ;) ).
    It would be nice to find a place where kids play together, where a nationality is not a problem,where my home will be safe.

that why I look for an answer what's mean good and bad area,because it does not appeal to me explain-that area is very bad because of social housing. Personally I know many people living in social areas and they are lovely,kind and very warm people.
    I do not want to classification in this respect, but in terms of general security, theft, beatings, violence....etc.
    I hope you know what I mean,and sorry for grammatical mistakes

Having a low budget,we don't have a wide choice...so want to do it well:)

Thanks for all suggestions,memories and experiences. It's very important for me,so please write everything, about life in Tallaght. I will be very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

The other end of tallaght is nice too. Balrothery, Glenview, CastlePark, Kilnamanagh. Schools are close by also.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

so...what part of Tallaght would be the best option for family with small kids?

Belgard, Kingswood, Kilnamanagh are all nice areas then there the other side - Old Bawn and Firhouse which are good too.

Brookview Lawns
    Rossfield Way

I am originally from Rossfield Way, and my family home is still there, so I can state with confidence that you would have nice neighbours! There are only 11 houses on Rossfield Way, and the majority are occupied by older families who've been there since the Estate opened in 1984, so quite settled. :D

But, to be honest - overall, Rossfield Estate is not the greatest, and if you are buying or renting privately, you could find more "family friendly" areas. I bought my own home in the Jobstown area, which is only a few minutes walk away.

PM if you want to know anything specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I grew up in watergate estate in old bawn tallaght and a few of my friends grew up in aylesbury and it was a great place to grow up; loads of kids and we could play safely on the roads, good experiences with the schools and theres a park (not very safe at night but usually fine during the day) right beside the estate.

I did a couple of days work experience when i was a teenager around brookfield and i didnt like it, I remember the secondry school had bars on the windows and thinking I would hate to go to school here how depressing overall i didnt like the atmosphere of the whole area but thats just my experience and i was only a teenager at the time.
    A friend of mine grew up in the area was bullied his whole life and developed a stammer and all sorts of self confidence problems he's still not over as a 28 year old man.

In my experience there is racism and bullying everywhere and so if you are looking to escape that you might have a problem but it doesnt really matter what area you are in once you've a few good friends and neighbours.

Tallaght is great in terms of amenities it has everything and its nice being surrounded by the hills if you can find a nice spot in Tallaght i would recommend it.

Good luck hope you find somewhere nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Brookfield isn't the worst in all fairness. I'm from Old Bawn myself, born and raised and I couldnt fault the area at all!! Other surrounding areas (where house prices have plummited lately) are Milbrook Lawns, Seskinview, Balrothery, New Bawn, Aylesbury, Bolbrook

thank you!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

To be honest, if you have a choice in the matter, don't live there even though the majority of people are fine.

The other parts of Tallaght mentioned are better such as old bawn or around the village.

Before anybody takes offence, I was brought up in Killinarden and my parents still live there.

I'd agree wth StoveLid.

Tallaght is a huge place so you'd need to think also about what amenities you want to be close to.

Springfield is ok, and close to the square and the luas and schools. Some parts of springfield look like sh!te now though. Too many rented houses with litter in the overgrown garden and grey curtains hanging off the windows sadly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Agreed, if I had kids I would do everything I could not to live there. I used to live in Rossfield and it's a fúcking kip.

Kilnamanagh, Kiltipper, Old Bawn, Ailesbury, Firhouse, Balrothery, Kingswood, Belgard and even parts of Tymon would be better.

thanks .
    I don't know Tallaght very well.I'm living in Ireland about 7 years-and all this time only in Rathfarnham.
    that why I asked you for help.
    Sometimes we take a ride around Tallaght ( weekends mainly) and some areas looked very bad.Brookview seems ok, somebody told me-avoid Jobstown-everywhere just not there...but sometimes I'm thinking- that is imposible,that all area is so bad only....
    I am confused:(

Knockmore drive? what part of Tallaght is it? ok...or bad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's in Killinarden, not a particularly nice area.

Im going to be uber-general and broad sweeping but here goes. Anywhere past the shamrock rovers ground on the left(as your leaving town) of the main road is worse than before the square.
    I would consider springfield and raheen (on the right hand side mind-you) better. Historically they are the last private residential areas before you hit citywest.

Part of Killinarden and it's quite rough. Personally I think it's slightly less rough than Brookfield/Fettercairn but not much. I was brought up near there and went to school there too. I have friends from Kniockmore and they are brilliant people (as are the overwhelming majority of people) but if you actually have a real choice in the matter (as in you are looking to buy a house or privately rent), then I wouldn't consider West Tallaght. As said: try Old Bawn, Tallaght Village, Firhouse, Kiltipper, Belgard, Springfield, or Aylesbury, all of whch are closer to amenities such as the Square, Luas and Hospital anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

These 'what do people think of such and such an area' threads are laughable.
    I've lived in 'west' Tallaght for donkeys years and never had a problem.
    People trying to divide Tallaght into 'good' and 'bad' are creating a divisive sterotypypical scenario thats more dangerous than the perceived 'badness' of the area.
    You get the same type threads about every urban area that has a larger ratio of public to private housing.
    No disrespect to the OP.... best of luck with your search:)

• Advertisement

thank you everybody,for good respons.
    I have much more information now.....
    I'm afraid,that with my low budget must look for a property somewhere outside dublin maybe:(

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Don't move to kiltipper, its a bit far out.

Alysebury is lovely, parts of oldbawn where I used to live are quite but a bit too quite for children, a lot of oaps in the area.

I saw a 3 bed semi for 150k in a grand area of oldbawn near the 77a bus stop, what's your budget, I can understand but be careful about moving to the country if you won't be happy with the commute like my family got themselves into.

These 'what do people think of such and such an area' threads are laughable.
    I've lived in 'west' Tallaght for donkeys years and never had a problem.
    People trying to divide Tallaght into 'good' and 'bad' are creating a divisive sterotypypical scenario thats more dangerous than the perceived 'badness' of the area.
    You get the same type threads about every urban area that has a larger ratio of public to private housing.
    No disrespect to the OP.... best of luck with your search:)

as I told on the start-i am far far away from clasification of the town or areas for good and bad.you are right, its very often just stereotypical talk....BUT- some time ago,I have seen a very bad situation in mulhuddart area,where kids and teens threw stones at cars, windows, houses....set fire to one of the cars.residents sadly admitted,its their reality. I would love to avoid a hit in the hell-like there.
    I found many lovely,nice houses in Jobstown,and i am sure there are living nice people.
    maybe my mentality is different,but I think that buying a house,we become a part of the neighborhood ,and iis nice to find a friend and kind people.living with them...next to them - next 20-30 years -its good to have any idea of their attitude.but as I told its my mentality.....
    I just do not want to buy a home, and sit in it closed, afraid to go out with the kids for a walk,or leave the house when you go on vacation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I would love to avoid a hit in the hell-like there.
    I found many lovely,nice houses in Jobstown,and i am sure there are living nice people.

OP, I'll put it this way. I'm sure there's lovely people from Jobstown, one of my friends used to live there but if you have the choice between Kingswood and Jobstown, pick Kingswood. Jobstown has some very serious social problems and I wouldn't be raising a family there if you had a better option for the same price.

On the other hand, it's also remiss of people to advise people to buy or rent houses in areas with genuine social problems because of loyalty to the area.

I'm from Killinarden and I won't hear a word against it or the people there (especially from some of the snobs on boards) who include close friends and family but I'm not going to spoof somebody looking for genuine advice that it doesn't have problems because it does.

Plus people like my friends and family have lived there years and years and know everybody which also helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lisie247

Its not a nice area- nowhere in west tallaght is- and before anyone takes offence Im from up there also. We all know that the drugs are rife and crime is high- its no place for children and anyone that thinks differently is deluded. Take the advice above and look at Glenview, Balrothery, Kilnamanagh, old bawn....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 agentcrow

look into the age of some of these area's even drop into the garda station and ask about some estates ..
    Of the 5 estates within the killinarden community, killinarden estate is the most settled as its nearly knocking on 40 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 KNolan7

Hi i no this tread is from a while ago but i was just wondering if any of you have any info on seskin view road?? I was thinking of moving up there so any information would really help thanks

KNolan7 wrote: »
    Hi i no this tread is from a while ago but i was just wondering if any of you have any info on seskin view road?? I was thinking of moving up there so any information would really help thanks

It's all right there, but its a main road at this stage, tons of traffic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement