Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing dogs

• 11-11-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I want to import a pup from another EU country, probably Germany, Has anyone ever done this before? how do I go about it? laws regs etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Pup would need a pet passport, all the details are on the dep of agri site I think.
    Takes a while I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The dog would have to be vaccinated for rabies and would have to wait 6 months after that to travel. Am I right in thinking you are looking for a German breed OP?

There are no restrictions at all on bring a dog from the UK, they can travel freely, no pet passport needed either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Rules are changing from January 1st, less restrictive, check out the Dept of Ag website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ISDW wrote: »
    Rules are changing from January 1st, less restrictive, check out the Dept of Ag website.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/changestoentryrequirementsfrom1january2012exceptfromtheuk/

So they can travel 21 days after the rabies vacc. Is that not a lot of injections for a small pup if they can travel at 3 months old?
    ie. usual vaccs and microchip at 8 weeks, presumably rabies vacc at 9 weeks and second batch of normal vaccs at 10 weeks so they can travel at 12 weeks. Never mind the stress of travel itself.

Advertisement