Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

summer in france

Options
  • 11-11-2011 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

not sure if this is the correct place to post this but i'll try it anyway

I'm in first year in university studying commerce & french and am finding the french side of the course a bit difficile..
    thinking of going to france next summer for a fortnight to 4 weeks to improve my language, particularly speaking it as i would like to be more fluent!
    i've looked at a number of programs online but they all seem very expensive for what they are.. i.e. two weeks in france with 3 hour classes, 5 days a week and to stay with a host family.. just wondering if there is a cheaper and better way to do this as i really would like to do it and think it's necessary for me to be able to continue with this course
    any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Take the money you would be spending on these expensive courses and use it to extend your stay. 2 weeks is nothing -- you'll just be getting into the swing of things, then heading home. Try to do 6 weeks or more. If you go to touristy cities that have a winter lull, you may be able to get a job in a cafe or bakery during the summer which could keep you going for three months. These places are crying out for workers during the summer, especially because the French workers like to take time off for holidays. I know a lot of Anglophones who were being paid under the table around €10 an hour. They wouldn't have had the best French at the start, but got so good so fast just from being forced to all but think in the language.

It'd be much better than a ****ty little overpriced summer course. You'd learn so much more, and have a much better experience. Although, staying with a host family mightn't be the worst idea. I know in Nice you'd be looking at about €750 a month, but you do get meals and laundry and all that, plus you get French at home too. You also don't have to worry about apartments/landlords and all that nonsense.

Advertisement