Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hares Ear

Options
  • 11-11-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

What is the tying of a Goldhead Hares Ear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

YOutube is the place to look..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭minktrapper

What has happened to the Gold Ribbed Hares Ear.Or has he been made redundant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

That is the gold ribbed hare's ear nymph.

This is the dressing for the traditional Irish hare's ear:

Tail: Three fibres Bronze Mallard
    Body: Dark Hare's ear fur with a pinch of Golden Olive seal's fur
    Hackle: Dark Dun
    Wings: Landrail
    Rib: none

Landrail or Corncrake is obviously too threatened in Ireland to use for fly dressing material - the usual substitute for the wings would be hen pheasant.
    Add a few turns of gold tinsel and you have the GRHE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

no not redundant but there are better nymphs around;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I'd be a bit of a fan of the hare's ear, particularly when it's not tied with a substitute. It's one of those 'special' materials in fly tying that seem to be capable of representing almost anything.
    Nothing beats the translucency of natural materials. But I'm old fashioned.

• Advertisement

I used to tie the hares ear with a cree hackle.

....and I like to tie it with a partridge hackle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Racha78

Very neatly tied fly but I don't like false hackles and the tail is too long and three turns of ribbing is enough - any more and it becomes a flashy fly, more like a Wyckham's Fancy than a GRHE. It should be a fairly subtle fly which can represent any number of naturals.

Racha78 wrote: »
    Beautifully photographed website, thanks for the link.

• Advertisement

no not redundant but there are better nymphs around;)
    I agree with you there Ironblue, I think 9 times out of 10 trout are feeding on chironimids so a fly as chunky as the GRHE nymph would not be a good imitative pattern. I never had much luck with the pheasant tail nymph as tied by Sawyer - I always felt it needed a bit of an Irish twist, a touch of something more impressionistic like seal's fur.

I would rate some of the duck fly pupa patterns as a great general purpose deceiver.
    A well known Corrib angler had a deadly pattern, he swore me to secrecy but it's so long ago now that I'm sure the copyright has expired.
    Here's the dressing.
    size 16 hook.

body: black seal's fur with an ostritch herl thorax.
    rib: very fine silver wire - max 3 turns.
    tag: blue floss silk
    wing stubs: tiniest possible jungle cock

slowburner wrote: »
    I agree with you there Ironblue, I think 9 times out of 10 trout are feeding on chironimids so a fly as chunky as the GRHE nymph would not be a good imitative pattern. I never had much luck with the pheasant tail nymph as tied by Sawyer - I always felt it needed a bit of an Irish twist, a touch of something more impressionistic like seal's fur.

I would rate some of the duck fly pupa patterns as a great general purpose deceiver.
    A well known Corrib angler had a deadly pattern, he swore me to secrecy but it's so long ago now that I'm sure the copyright has expired.
    Here's the dressing.
    size 16 hook.

body: black seal's fur with an ostritch herl thorax.
    rib: very fine silver wire - max 3 turns.
    tag: blue floss silk
    wing stubs: tiniest possible jungle cock

when talking about nymphs we must draw distinction between river and lough fishing, they are very different disciplines.
    nymphs good on the river are not always good in still-water that is beyond doubt.

yes i think the GRHE is often tied too bulky for stillwater, i mean in the context of immitating the nymph of upwinged flies or lake olives and buzzer pupae. a fat weighted GRHE is probably more useful for stuff like freshwater shrimp, corxia or hog louse, but not a first choice for lake olives or buzzers.

there is no doubt that on the lough duckfly and other buzzer pupae patterns are taken by trout for lake olive nymphs, and i suppose vice versa.

that's a nice simple duckfly pattern, although size 16 might be a bit small for me.

when talking about nymphs we must draw distinction between river and lough fishing, they are very different disciplines.
    nymphs good on the river are not always good in still-water that is beyond doubt.

yes i think the GRHE is often tied too bulky for stillwater, i mean in the context of immitating the nymph of upwinged flies or lake olives and buzzer pupae. a fat weighted GRHE is probably more useful for stuff like freshwater shrimp, corxia or hog louse, but not a first choice for lake olives or buzzers.

there is no doubt that on the lough duckfly and other buzzer pupae patterns are taken by trout for lake olive nymphs, and i suppose vice versa.

that's a nice simple duckfly pattern, although size 16 might be a bit small for me.
    Might be too small to catch you, but not the trout :D

What is the correct way to fish a nymph on a river.

What is the correct way to fish a nymph on a river.

If you are referring to GRHE and Pheasant tail etc type patterns well then broadly speaking upstream, it is far more effective approaching the trout from behind, keep the casts short, wade slowly carefully and quietly. if you are new to it you might want to try an indicator which can help you see the takes far easier.
    you can buy yellow and orange foam indicators but its a good option to use a dry fly like a ethafoam sedge or a klinkhammer as a indicator and suspend your nymph below it. Trout will take the dryfly indicator as well, especially if the water is high and clear.
    cast upstream and let the flies dead drift with the current back towards you, while taking in line to keep in pace with the current and keeping in contact with the fly, when the indicator fly stops, dips, or moves forward up current, then strike! be swift but not too firm with the strike, its amazing how quickly a trout can take a nymph and spit it out within a second or so.
    It might sound a little complicated but with a little practice its actually a very straightforward way to fish.
    hope this helps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I fish them very similar to how IBD described.
    Never use the indicator, but basically it is casting up, or up and across with the dry setup and a sunk nymph. Usually the nymph is just under the top and takes are just as visible as to a dry.
    Fishing it deeper with a weighted fly withour an indicator is a case where you are watching the leader for a sudden movement.
    A section of fluorescent or yellow coloured mono in the leader a metre above the fly helps spot takes, it functions rather like a streamlined indicator.

Also: Don't forget how effective nymphs can be when fished down and across in fast or ripply water.

coolwings wrote: »
    I fish them very similar to how IBD described.
    Never use the indicator, but basically it is casting up, or up and across with the dry setup and a sunk nymph. Usually the nymph is just under the top and takes are just as visible as to a dry.
    Fishing it deeper with a weighted fly withour an indicator is a case where you are watching the leader for a sudden movement.
    A section of fluorescent or yellow coloured mono in the leader a metre above the fly helps spot takes, it functions rather like a streamlined indicator.

Also: Don't forget how effective nymphs can be when fished down and across in fast or ripply water.
    Or you could try to develop that indefinable 'feel' that marks out the great anglers.

Or you could try to develop that indefinable 'feel' that marks out the great anglers.

yes that's very true indeed. the reason i suggested an indicator fly is that it helps someone who is starting out at nymphing to see the takes.

with experience and knowledge it is entirely possible to fish the nymph successfully without any form of physical indication. at that stage an angler acts on instinct and senses the takes.

years ago one very eminent angler was asked "How do you know when to strike?" he replied, "I dont know, I just know"

But for the lads starting out, indicator fishing is an easier option it is good fun and it does work very well on limestone rivers.

There was a legendary Welsh angler (I've forgotten his name).
    It was said about him that he could spit on a stone, stand back, cast and catch a trout.
    Now that's 'feel' :).

There was a legendary Welsh angler (I've forgotten his name).
    It was said about him that he could spit on a stone, stand back, cast and catch a trout.
    Now that's 'feel' :).

moc morgan or someone like that?

• Advertisement

It was before Moc Morgan's time, but I think it was a Morgan alright, maybe Dai.

:pac:

Thanks lads.Would the same method work with the mayfly .I see a lot of trout taking the mayfly nymph as they "hang" from the surface.What patern of mayfly nymph would one use.

Thanks lads.Would the same method work with the mayfly .I see a lot of trout taking the mayfly nymph as they "hang" from the surface.What patern of mayfly nymph would one use.
    Absolutely, yes it would work with the mayfly.
    There's a whole host of good mayfly nymph patterns. I've always liked this particular dressing :>

Long shank size 10 hook

Tail: Grey partridge fibres (5/6)
    Body; golden olive seal's fur or substitute. Tied to taper from the head to the tail.
    Rib: fine gold wire , 3/4 turns.
    Thorax: dark hare's ear
    Hackle: grey partridge

I like to add starling or any grey nondescript wing stubs to the cheeks for 'character'.
    The copydex nymph was all the rage one time but it seems to have been largely forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

I fish the nymph up and across. By far the most effective method from my point of view. You can couple it with a well chosen spider in intermediate but I you start you don't want to have a messy session : go simple.

One thing : don't hesitate to strike at any tuny suspect move of the line. You will be striking at nothing a lot of the time but you will also gain experience as sometimes you will be surprised how subtle a big fish can be taking your nymph.

The copydex nymph was all the rage one time but it seems to have been largely forgotten about.

ah the good auld copydex nymph i remember once seeing a tv programme called the angling experience it was from the early 1980s and was shown on channel 4, anyway a lad tied a copydex spent gnat for lough arrow, anyone else remember that. a good few years ago i copied the pattern but i did not have much luck with it so it got relegated......

if fishing with mayfly nymphs near the surface a lighter coloured one is good and if deeper use a darker shaded one.

ah the good auld copydex nymph i remember once seeing a tv programme called the angling experience it was from the early 1980s and was shown on channel 4, anyway a lad tied a copydex spent gnat for lough arrow, anyone else remember that. a good few years ago i copied the pattern but i did not have much luck with it so it got relegated......

I nearly rose a fish once to a copydex mayfly. :p

Will it work on a river do ye think.

Will it work on a river do ye think.
    It might - if you could tie it small enough.
    TBH, it's probably not worth the effort. I think most anglers gave up using copydex to make flies. Flies that 'plop' are rarely good. ;)

It might - if you could tie it small enough.
    TBH, it's probably not worth the effort. I think most anglers gave up using copydex to make flies. Flies that 'plop' are rarely good. ;)

its defo not worth the effort, forget about it. there are loads of better patterns.

• Advertisement

And what patterns would one reccomend for a mayfly nymph and a dark olive nymph.I reckon a dark olive nymph would be great in the spring for river trout.Does one grease the leader or not.

Advertisement