Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Christmas Gift Ideas

• 11-11-2011 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to make a list of gift ideas from Waterford. Specifically things made in Waterford that you could give to someone. I'll include vouchers for something like a beautician, but avoid just vouchers for a clothes shop for clothes made in China. Get my drift?

So to start my Waterford hamper:

1) Galwey's Chocolates
    2) Metalman Beer
    3) Waterford Crystal (some of it)
    4) Heritage Crystal

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The Visit Waterford Calendar and Christmas Cards of course! :D :P

Waterford Crystal have some lovely stuff, and some cool decorations for the tree. They may have gone up in price with it being Christmas but jesus there was some fantastic stuff in there a few months back.

Get a full body massage voucher, then support the smaller local businesses who are offering beauty in terms of getting the nails done (for the ladies). Vouchers for a meal maybe, tickets for a gig in The Forum (like a comedian or a band).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Penrose Crystal is lovely and MUCH cheaper, cut there where the shop is aswell and you can get things personalised with names and photos. Ive gotten wine glasses in lovely big boxes with silk fabric and celtic crosses for my Grandparents.

Penrose Crystal started out before Waterford Crystal, its that old and it's still going. Its on John Street, Waterford. You'll see the sign to go down a little alley.

Worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

All those stalls in town for the Xmas market (that'll be going ahead this year won't it ?)

They always have some fab stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

michellie wrote: »
    All those stalls in town for the Xmas market (that'll be going ahead this year won't it ?)

They always have some fab stuff!
    But is it made in Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Waterford laddy

all the glass, prints, art, fashion in Kite Design -
    Restaurant Vouchers -
    Drink vouchers for Metal Man Beer & Dungarvan beer
    Christmas Craft Fair in Garter Lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

dayshah wrote: »
    But is it made in Waterford?

Use common sense, its fairly easy to distinguish the local artisans from the ones who buy in cheap stuff to resell. I do baked goods (and won't be doing the xmas market) but I know some lovely locals who do knitted and baked goods... might do to do a couple quick facebook search for Waterford crafts people.

Popping into the new kite design studios new Gallways would be a great place for local artisan gifts for xmas! Bonzie has some amazing stuff at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I was told there's a young lad in Transition Year in Tramore who salvaged the old slate tiles from the church roof and using them to make clocks and he's selling them as part of his enterprise project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Kite design have some great ideas for christmas and prices are not to bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sully wrote: »
    The Visit Waterford Calendar and Christmas Cards of course! :D :P
    "Cough" shill"cough"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lovely stuff in Kite Design!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭creambun

A nice idea is to make your own hamper up of items u know the person u are giving it to will like, make trufles, nice wine or port and brandy always useful at christmas, ardkeen stores have some great chutneys and jams and maybe something funny out of funk it. Great idea for trufles http://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/Cooking_Chocolate_Truffles.aspx sounds weird but guinness and chocolate go together.

creambun wrote: »
    A nice idea is to make your own hamper up of items u know the person u are giving it to will like, make trufles, nice wine or port and brandy always useful at christmas, ardkeen stores have some great chutneys and jams and maybe something funny out of funk it. Great idea for trufles http://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/Cooking_Chocolate_Truffles.aspx sounds weird but guinness and chocolate go together.

Any wine, port, or brandy made in Waterford?

Might give the truffles a go though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

http://www.waterforddesignermakers.com/craft_izabeld.html

this site seems to list a few crafts people and design people from waterford you could contact

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭creambun

You can make your own bailey's, its very easy someone in Barracks street always made me a bottle for christmas it never lasted till christmas would usualy drink it the same week.

Homemade baileys
    • 1 cup of heavy cream or half and half
    • 2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup or melted chocolate
    • 1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (i only use it if its in the cupboard
    • 1 teaspoon instant coffee
    • 1 cup of Irish Whiskey (or more depending on your preference, but start with 1 cup, taste, and adjust) I use the half bottle of jameson.
    Put them all in a blender and mix it will last up to 2 months in the fridge, never had it in the fridge long enough to test it. I also make truffles from this, i cant wait for christmas now mouth is watering:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 james405

Have you tried Guiney's? Lol! Dont!

Tastefully Yours Sauces are from Waterford and they are bridgestone winners, sauces / chutneys etc!

http://www.thepremiumbutcher.ie/15_tastefully-yours-sauces

A random facebook page set up for Christmas! Some "ok" ideas!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Christmas-Gift-Ideas-Ireland/264923470199399

Also sometimes citydeal and living social do deals for Waterford beauticians / spas etc. might pick up something cheap!

I just noticed Waterford Whispers News have some funny t-shirts for sale on their website.

Advertisement