Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming culture on the Late Late Show

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Tubs in fairness has to ask those basic questions as his audience is so varied there would be people who don't know what an xbox is.

I thought the first mother was brilliant said her son used to play lots after his study, when tubs pushed to try and get a negative view she said, oh no he did great got into college is a lovely well rounded individual! perfect that's what most parents want. it just showed he played lots of games since he was 2 and turned out fine.

5 speakers 4 in favour of sensible gaming and 1 worried mother and a host trying to tie it together. wasn't the worst piece I've ever seen, I learnt a little from the addiction guy.

I think the reaction is far more hysterical than the actual piece was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Mr E wrote: »
    There was a gaming feature on RTE Radio 1's The Business this morning with two guys who started gaming companies. I think the host was a bit outside his comfort zone, but it was a good interview (and positive for a change). It's the first item on the show, so it's straight after the news.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#type=radio&rii=9%3A3108039%3A172%3A12%2D11%2D2011%3A

I thought that interview was quite good. The interviewer didn't know much about games, but he knew enough to get the point across that it's a perfectly viable and valid business, which is what the piece was really about. The best part of it was when the game dev was talking about his days at work being tough sometimes and having to figure problems out and the interviewer said (and I paraphrase,) "So you have to get complex problems and rules down into a little mathematical formula?" And you could really hear a thought of, "Jaysus, that's a hard thing to do" going through his head as he asked the question. And the game dev could only laugh and respond, "Yeah, that's it" with a little amazement that some non-gamer had basically gotten the idea of programming something down without any hesitation or insulting tone to his questioning.

Good interview. I thought the gamer guys were a little too friendly, laughing at everything. But I suppose Saturday morning quasi-business shows are perfect for that kind of thing. They did really get the point across that Ireland is a perfect country for the gaming industry.

Buceph wrote: »
    I suppose Saturday morning quasi-business shows are perfect for that kind of thing. They did really get the point across that Ireland is a perfect country for the gaming industry.

Yep. Now if we could only get the governments here to quit talking about supporting the industry, and actually put serious money into funding things like broadband, maths, and computer sciences properly, instead of letting the private sector's money do all the heavy lifting, we would actually be in really good shape to position ourselves as a world leader for games development.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,385 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

woah wait a minute I thought Tubridy was off to England

Are we still paying for this waste of space?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tubs in fairness has to ask those basic questions as his audience is so varied there would be people who don't know what an xbox is.

I thought the first mother was brilliant said her son used to play lots after his study, when tubs pushed to try and get a negative view she said, oh no he did great got into college is a lovely well rounded individual! perfect that's what most parents want. it just showed he played lots of games since he was 2 and turned out fine.

5 speakers 4 in favour of sensible gaming and 1 worried mother and a host trying to tie it together. wasn't the worst piece I've ever seen, I learnt a little from the addiction guy.

I think the reaction is far more hysterical than the actual piece was.

Very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Yeah his lack of objectivity really grated on me. Its not the way to conduct what's MEANT to be a fair, open minded interview. For shame Ryan, I used to think you were ok!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

The one complaining about her son saying "In a minute, in a minute" - Stupid bctih, you cant pause an online game.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

I live in a house with two others. They see me in between my time spent on my passtime.

I spend 2-3 hours a few nights a week trying to achieve little tasks that form part of a greater one - any time I fail I get angry with myself and more determined to get it next time. Anyone watching would think all I'm doing is doing the same monotonous task constantly, but I find it very fulfilling when I succeed, despite bouts of frustration when I didn't.

Does my job suffer as a result? No.
    Do my relationships with people important to me suffer? No.
    Does it result in me being a less responsible individual overall? No.

What am I doing?

I'm trying to learn the piano.

[ I'm obviously also a gamer, but you can see my point :) ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

Even the gaming advocates they gave speaking time to for the most part were detrimental to gaming's reputation as a medium. The stereotypical college-nerd gamer with no girlfriend and too much time on his hands playing 36 hour gaming marathons (who fell hook line and sinker for tubridy's wholly biased leading questions btw)

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I just stumbled across this thread and had to post. I'm the girlfriend of the guy MackDaddi mentioned, and I was at the time the show was filmed as well. I've never felt ignored in favour of games, and we have a very healthy social life together.

The questions Tubridy asked focussed entirely on the bad aspects of gaming, and the fact that he wasn't asked about any of the positive aspects was ridiculous. It let people draw way too many negative conclusions, like the 'no-girlfriend' thing (which the gaming expert even mentioned on the show!).

Anyhoo, just wanted to chip that in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Fair play for resurrecting and using the search bar rather than making a new one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

to be honest, i think gaming has gone too mainstream for it to conform to the old stereotypes. of course there will always be some who are cave men on their own types but I think youd be hardpressed to find a house that has a TV without a games console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ill informed, scare mongering rubbish, ignoring professional opinion, mothers that don't have a clue and a completely biased host that obviously doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Sounds like Tubbers is looking to take over Joe Duffys job on Liveline

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm trying to learn the piano.
    Anyone else convinced he was going to say World of Warcraft? :P

=-=

Wasn't surprised about the LLS. I stopped watching it as it seems most topics the fecker does are the same; if it wasn't around when everyone was a church going catholic, it's bad and created by the devil himself... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MrShine

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Ill informed, scare mongering rubbish, ignoring professional opinion, mothers that don't have a clue and a completely biased host that obviously doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

I agree! You'd expect this kind of stuff from Fox News or something similar, but not on a show that should be based around serious, well informed debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Its the late late show, has it ever been professional ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Aww, they had a discussion of video games on the Late Late after Kenny left? What a shame he wasn't around for that. I'd love to have seen how his "probing intellect" and "sharp critical faculties" (you know, the ones his colleagues insist he has) would've served him in a debate about a medium like video games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Kinski wrote: »
    Aww, they had a discussion of video games on the Late Late after Kenny left? What a shame he wasn't around for that. I'd love to have seen how his "probing intellect" and "sharp critical faculties" (you know, the ones his colleagues insist he has) would've served him in a debate about a medium like video games!

To be fair on Pat Kenny, he is far superior to Tubridy in every sense. Just far more suited to discuss serious topics over general entertainment ****e, still better at it than Tubridy though. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CaesarCrown

Corkfeen wrote: »
    To be fair on Pat Kenny, he is far superior to Tubridy in every sense. Just far more suited to discuss serious topics over general entertainment ****e, still better at it than Tubridy though. :pac:

i think the show has gone to much more widespread topical things such as the games and health over things like politics which kenny greatly focused on

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

i think the show has gone to much more widespread topical things such as the games and health over things like politics which kenny greatly focused on

Yes, but it was better to have Kenny deal with one topic regularly and do it well than to have Tubridy do lots of stuff badly.

On Topic: I remember seeing a good bit of this and thinking it was crap to be honest. The general conclusion from people who weren't idiots was that it should be like any other hobby, enjoy it as much as you like in any way you like as long as it doesn't negatively impact your life. There was so much they could have focused on.

i)The challenge on developing methods for telling interactive rather than merely passive stories.

ii)The uses of game-afication to achieve socially and personally desirable goals.

iii)The use of games as a way to get people form all over the world talking to each other about something they like rather than why they are different.

iv)The use of games to aid children with learning disabilities.

v)The use of videogames as a way for parents and children to play together rather than simply watch television together in a passive manner, much like families played together until relatively recently.

vi)The challenges with the competing forces of allowing companies to deliberately use skinner box effects to make their products more compelling as must be done if we are to live in a free society absent of censorship versus the issues of encouraging children and adolescents to be able to recognise when pattern behaviour is negatively impacting other aspects of their lives.

So, yeah, great debate there LLS. It's not like you had the first truly new medium of entertainment that human civilization has had in the last 5000 years or so to talk about or anything...idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

So old... Anyone know where I can watch this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

/\/ollog wrote: »
    So old... Anyone know where I can watch this?

Here's the RTÉ player link for the full show - the gaming section starts at around 55:05, but Dara O'Briain says some relevant stuff too - his section starts at 1:33:50.

Don't know how long the shows stay up on RTÉ though, so that link might die at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Jesus..... wouldn't it be worse if we were out doing drugs or in the pub for six hours straight?

Ah now sure you have to do your duty and drink! Those taxes have to go pay for the govt. merc. :rolleyes: Can't be at home gaming! Talking to god knows who on Xbox live or wherever :D.

Sure you go out buy your game take it home and play it. The powers that be don't get any more money out of you. Unless you get DLC :p.

Argh the Anti-gaming lobby irritates the hell out of me.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

That didn't seem too bad at all. From what I was reading here, I was ready to come out swinging after watching it, but it really wasn't bad. I reckon the bottom line is that the older generation doesn't really inderstand gaming. Just the same as the generation before them would have shunned TV. If they don't get what it's all about, they'll just chuck it into the "Bad" pile.

I had both sides of it in my house when I was growing up (the SNES/ Megadrive days). My mother never minded my gaming, and she actually supported it, and would encourage me to get back onto the game an kick it's arse whenever I lost a life. My dad, on the other hand, hated it. He was convinced it would mess up my brain, and I'd wind up being a shell of a human being. He thought that when I pumped a few quid into an arcade, it was gambling. His generation just didn't understand it. I'm lucky my mother was so understanding about it, and she still is to this day. She always asked about what I'm playing any time I visit home.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

deathrider wrote: »
    He thought that when I pumped a few quid into an arcade, it was gambling.

Looking back, I actually have some sympathy for this opinion. It really was an outrageous amount of money for the average amount of time you would get (in my experience anyway!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

noodler wrote: »
    Looking back, I actually have some sympathy for this opinion. It really was an outrageous amount of money for the average amount of time you would get (in my experience anyway!).

I agree. I was never much good at them, so that stack of 20p coins disappeared at an alarming rate. Still though, it goes to show that the older crowd, which I'd imagine is the kinda crowd that watch the Late Late show, don't understand gaming. Simply because it's not from their day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Finally watched it. Woeful from tubbers as expected, he just wanted to say gaming is addictive and wasn't really interested in anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

The Dino media can see it's death in gaming, the newer generations couldn't give a flying tit about TV and spend their money gaming or their time browsing intertubes, so they are determined to ruin gamings name.

Advertisement