Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut back Clematis

Options
  • 12-11-2011 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭

Over the summer I had to severely cut back some clematis, two montanas and a summer flowering one. They all have stems over an inch in diameter. They were cut back to around 4 ft high.

The summer flowering one has started to sprout from a joint about 3 ft up. There is no sign of life on either of the montanas. Should I cut them right back to the ground, or leave them and hope for the best, or do something else?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Hey Looksee, I would say to leave the montanas be.

In my experience it can take up to a year for them to recover from a hard prune, although if they were old they may be dead unfortunatley. I would wait till next summer before fully deciding if they were in fact dead.

If they are not dead another prune would prob kill them I would think. I would just mulch them and protect from heavy frosts.

Also, I would actually have cut back the montana to about 2 or 3 foot when giving them a hard prune.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks Ophiopogon, I think I will do that. I had cut one of the montanas back like that before and it not only rallied, it grew huge. I did do a bit more hunting around on line and found one useful article that said that if you cut montanas back severely they have a 50:50 chance of living or dying. Looks like a 'wait and see' situation.

ps I had to look up your name! Good one!

Advertisement