Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

restricted electrical works

Options
  • 12-11-2011 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

read the reci news letter today (boss gave it to me ) it has a page about this new regulation that will make it illegal for anyone who is not a registered contractor from doing any work in a domestic hse that requires a new circuit or any board work
    its my understanding from this is that it would now be illegal for me to wire a new socket circuit in my own hse even though i am a qualified sparks(city and guilds + senior trades ) with 20 odd years experiance .surely they cant stop any one who has a qualifaciton from doing a job in their own home or family members. going by this if my mother wanted an electric shower put in in the morning i would have to get someone else to do it

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

marknjb wrote: »
    read the reci news letter today (boss gave it to me ) it has a page about this new regulation that will make it illegal for anyone who is not a registered contractor from doing any work in a domestic hse that requires a new circuit or any board work
    its my understanding from this is that it would now be illegal for me to wire a new socket circuit in my own hse even though i am a qualified sparks(city and guilds + senior trades ) with 20 odd years experiance .surely they cant stop any one who has a qualifaciton from doing a job in their own home or family members. going by this if my mother wanted an electric shower put in in the morning i would have to get someone else to do it

Tis true.....load of bollox

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Whatever about the legalities, it will be impossible to police. Are you really going to be brought to task for installing a socket in your own home?? I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I think this is a shower of tools that have nothing better to do than think of more rubbish to make rules about. I know we might hear some registered people saying its great. Its a load of rubbish.

Is this really about safety? Its now too dangerous for a qualified electrician to install an MCB in a DB. A crock of total shit. I was expecting it though, and its just the first stage in no one except contractors being able to do any electrical work what so ever.

Whats next, illegal to change a plug fuse. Stupidity that suits the mugs game that electrical work has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I think this is a shower of tools that have nothing better to do than think of more rubbish to make rules about. I know we might hear some registered people saying its great. Its a load of rubbish.

Is this really about safety? Its now too dangerous for a qualified electrician to install an MCB in a DB. A crock of total shit. I was expecting it though, and its just the first stage in no one except contractors being able to do any electrical work what so ever.

Whats next, illegal to change a plug fuse. Stupidity that suits the mugs game that electrical work has become.

Funny you say this because i was told electrical is a mugs game in the first year of my apprentiship by the sparks i was working with (10 years ago) :)

Yea i know, im 25 years at it, and i have thought that about it since the mid 90`s. The building rush made it worse again.

Cant do work now that requires a new circuit, or work on the DB. Laughable they are getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Suppose its just a way of reci/ecssa raking in the cash for memberships

Little to do with safety anyway. If a qualified person cant take the cover off a DB, then its definitely a case of them organisations sitting down trying to think of the next rule they can implement, simply to shore it up. A complete farce in my opinion. I might be alone in this forum on that, but thats my thoughts on it.

Notice they say no work on DB and no new circuits. Its tricky to run in a new circuit without working on the DB. Make ye laugh they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marknjb

Little to do with safety anyway. If a qualified person cant take the cover off a DB, then its definitely a case of them organisations sitting down trying to think of the next rule they can implement, simply to shore it up. A complete farce in my opinion. I might be alone in this forum on that, but thats my thoughts on it.

Notice they say no work on DB and no new circuits. Its tricky to run in a new circuit without working on the DB. Make ye laugh they would.
    what they are saying is that while i am working for my firm (unsupervised) i am perfectyly competant yet once i go out the gate i loose all my ability to do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

what they are saying is that while i am working for my firm (unsupervised) i am perfectyly competant yet once i go out the gate i loose all my ability to do the job

thats an excellent point

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

dolittle wrote: »
    thats an excellent point

I wouldnt say its down to the fact that you loose all your ability but more to do with when you are working for your employer everything you do is covered by his insurance and when you go out and do stuff for yourself there is no insurance to cover your work in the event that something might happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Well not really. Just like a Garda can't issue speeding tickets when he's off the day job, accountants are now regulated too, the list goes on.

cast_iron wrote: »
    Well not really. Just like a Garda can't issue speeding tickets when he's off the day job

I can imagine a garda being in demand from his family or friends looking for an out of his normal job speeding ticket alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xxtallaghtxx

Didn't they do the same thing to the lads putting in intruder alarms?
    The way they stopped that was making it hard to get materials?

Didn't they do the same thing to the lads putting in intruder alarms?
    The way they stopped that was making it hard to get materials?

Seems to be similar alright. Next we will need a licence to own a toolbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xxtallaghtxx

Seems to be similar alright. Next we will need a licence to own a toolbox.

And could you imagine what they'l have you do to earn your drill????

I like how they assume then aswell that just because they're a contractor that they aren't cutting corners etc. Some of the **** I saw in my brief time working as a spark made me wonder how did they manage to charge!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Just like a Garda can't issue speeding tickets when he's off the day job,.

Lots of them are never off duty.:rolleyes:

KoolKid wrote: »
    Lots of them are never off duty.:rolleyes:
    Well they themselves will argue they are never off duty, which is why I gave the ticketing example.

robbie, I'm not saying I agree with the changes, but we see it argued in here that non-registered guys are putting genuine contractors out of business, and here's a move in the other direction, and it's been criticised too.

I can't see how these rules will stop you adding a circuit to your neighbours house...as policing it will be impossible. Sure they don't police things as is! But it would stop the cowboy from doing his handy work completely, as there'll be very little left that won't need a registered contractor soon. Stop him legally anyway, as again, the policing for him would be the same for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

when can we expect this to pass into law?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

so is it going to be "against the law" for an electrician to work on his or a friend or family members home??????????

omg this countrys getting worse

seriously

this is taking the piss full stop

etci and ecssa money making cartel

robbie, I'm not saying I agree with the changes, but we see it argued in here that non-registered guys are putting genuine contractors out of business, and here's a move in the other direction, and it's been criticised too.

I can't see how these rules will stop you adding a circuit to your neighbours house...as policing it will be impossible. Sure they don't police things as is! But it would stop the cowboy from doing his handy work completely, as there'll be very little left that won't need a registered contractor soon. Stop him legally anyway, as again, the policing for him would be the same for you...

How they will police it is not really the point, they are just able to turn around and tell a qualified person, sorry, your not allowed change that faulty MCB in your parents DB.

I fixed a serious problem next door earlier this year, a nail through a socket circuit, bridging L to E. It was known by the contractor too, as earth in t&e between both sockets disconnected amd just left behind socket, still live, and a bypass earth run instead, and so a nice live nail left in the wall. Only when neighbour wanted me to put in new socket plate was it found. Like that from time the house was new 8 years ago.

Now thats one fine example of many i have seen from contractors, rushing to complete domestic installations, as the poriority is speed/money. A quality installation is secondary with many, and would be more likely with a relative doing the work i believe.

But anyway, as evosteo says, its like a cartel with them.

Get a contractor in to tighten a connection in an MCB board? Lunacy.

As for contractors being put out of business, well there is just no business left, and what little is, they are simply trying to eliminate qualified people from doing anything at all in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

So if your Mum needs an extra light or socket in her house, you must tell her ring your boss. He'll send you and you must charge her the going rate. Your boss gets paid, you get paid, the Revenue get paid and tough luck on yer Mum.
    It's a great little country this!

How they will police it is not really the point, they are just able to turn around and tell a qualified person, sorry, your not allowed change that faulty MCB in your parents DB.

I fixed a serious problem next door earlier this year, a nail through a socket circuit, bridging L to E. It was known by the contractor too, as earth in t&e between both sockets disconnected amd just left behind socket, still live, and a bypass earth run instead, and so a nice live nail left in the wall. Only when neighbour wanted me to put in new socket plate was it found. Like that from time the house was new 8 years ago.

Now thats one fine example of many i have seen from contractors, rushing to complete domestic installations, as the poriority is speed/money. A quality installation is secondary with many, and would be more likely with a relative doing the work i believe.
    While your story proves that there are rogue contractor out there, it says little no one didn't already know.
    But anyway, as evosteo says, its like a cartel with them.
    I somewhat agree.
    Get a contractor in to tighten a connection in an MCB board? Lunacy.

As for contractors being put out of business, well there is just no business left, and what little is, they are simply trying to eliminate qualified people from doing anything at all in reality.
    So where do we draw the line? Family and closest 3 friends? Immediate family? Half sister, thrice removed? Next door neighbour but not 2 doors away?

As it is, assuming you charged your neighbour a few bob for sorting it out, it would be taxable income. By right, a contractor should have repaired it. Your argument is basically that nixers shouldn't be illegal?
    (And I only use your neighbour as an example, I don't care what who paid what, if anything, in that case)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So where do we draw the line? Family and closest 3 friends? Immediate family? Half sister, thrice removed? Next door neighbour but not 2 doors away?

Its hard to. You could go like the PSA do with alarms & limit it by payment. But that too, opens up a lot of loopholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the registered guys:
    have their work monitored ,
    have insurance,
    have test instruments calibrated,
    upskill on training courses,
    have copy of rules
    customer has recourse to reci/ecssa in case of wiring issues

pointless really though considering half the new work is carried out by non registered guys buying certs and the registered guys can do what they like and sign off

M cebee wrote: »
    pointless really though considering half the new work is carried out by non registered guys buying certs and the registered guys can do what they like and sign off
    Quite true. Though alot wouldn't even buy the certs.
    As usual, rather than police the current rules, they just bring in more to make it look like they are doing something. That's how government departments work.

While your story proves that there are rogue contractor out there, it says little no one didn't already know.

Id say it was not a rogue contractor, just the usual get the job done as fast as possible, type contractor. Anyone that believes an installation passing the required tests means its a good installation, needs a bit of a re-think.

So you tell me where do we draw the line so. A new circuit, a new DB, change MCB, fitting a plug, changing a bulb?
    As it is, assuming you charged your neighbour a few bob for sorting it out, it would be taxable income. By right, a contractor should have repaired it. Your argument is basically that nixers shouldn't be illegal?
    (And I only use your neighbour as an example, I don't care what who paid what, if anything, in that case)

Taxable income? Dont make me laugh. How much is the tax on fixing a serious problem, on a circuit done by these "monitored" contractors, when i charged actually nothing?

A registered contractor should have fixed another registered contractors complete Fuck up? Sounds about right. So i replace a socket plate, which in fact the neighbour replaced but asked me to check, and found this covered up cowboy job by original contractors, and instead of making it perfectly safe, i should of called a contractor?

So if i charged nothing for removing a piece of cable, and replacing it with a new piece, which the registered contractor couldnt be bothered doing while obviously knowing about it, should that be illegal? If you still think that, then you bringing how much i charged into it was pointless.

Should i call a contractor the next time i want to fit a new socket in my house?

Im guessing you never did a "nixer" as you call it, in your entire life. Maybe not.

the registered guys sell certs to the non registered guys
    so the system is being defeated

they wont be able to enforce any of this new stuff on domestic work as the customer will prefer a bargain anyway

things might change if the insurance companies started insisting on certs for renewals,but i'd say even then there's be guys signing off on dangerous installations

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marknjb

the certs make me laugh.i often come across jobs that have been certed and the standard of work is brutal u would wonder how they get away with it .this new rule is the reci boys trying to justtify their jobs for their paymasters (the contractors).what is the point in serveing ure time if u are still not allowed to do a job that a contractor will only send a first year to do and probbaly never even see the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

the insurance companys wll not get involved with this

i remember not too far back somebody telling me a new rule was gonna come in where you had to get ur house tested every year and this would put alot of electricians out of work back into it

the insurance companys could refuse to reinsure your premises without this test cert,

thats like them turning away business and a compeditor taking a "risk" and covering the rejected premises,

no company in there right mind will do this, its commercial suicide

why is there only reci and ecssa???????? why is ther not more?????

cartel im telling ya, id love to see their balance sheets, seems to me the contractors are getting restless because of the lack of work due to the recession and reci/ecssa are trying to prove their worth to them,

cant you still get a cert from one of them where an inspector comes out and tests your premises, and certs it once its to standard? they will happily take your money for that

bunch of gangsters

• Advertisement

there should only have been one organization- reci

don't think insurance companies work like that-taking on premises that are a big risk

Advertisement