Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i move to oz or stay at home ?

Options
  • 12-11-2011 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

was thinking of trying oz for a few years cant make up my mind need some help :( working as a plumber works good one of the lucky ones but i cant get oz out of my head a lot of my friends a people i know are out there to also would be nice to get away and get a few new experiences and what i hear moneys pretty good 2 wudnt think i would like to stay out there but you never no but defo give it a few years on the other hand if i go out there and want to go back home i lose my job and a new one wud be very hard to get
    question is what would you do? Im 27 by the way

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Like anything, you wont know until you try it but if you are looking for us to make such a decision for you, you are dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I'm 27 and have a good job here. Im going to Australia in February because if i dont do it now il never get a chance again.

Better to regret things you do than the things you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

bob5666 wrote: »
    was thinking of trying oz for a few years cant make up my mind need some help :( working as a plumber works good one of the lucky ones but i cant get oz out of my head a lot of my friends a people i know are out there to also would be nice to get away and get a few new experiences and what i hear moneys pretty good 2 wudnt think i would like to stay out there but you never no but defo give it a few years on the other hand if i go out there and want to go back home i lose my job and a new one wud be very hard to get
    question is what would you do? Im 27 by the way

First thing to try is using some punctuation :-)

A great idea would be to head out for a holiday and see what you make of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Just do it we are all going to die one day anyway so i wouldnt worry about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bob5666

true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I'm with Jank on this, it really is your decision and yours alone, have a chat with family and friends, although it seems everyone in Ireland will tell you to get out of there, but it's not as simple as that.

There are jobs here in Oz currently, esp regional areas, and mines etc and a chance to make some good money, if you played it right you can have two years worth of work here (WHV alone) it might work out and you love it, or you might and be back in Ireland unemployed (potentially for a long time)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bob5666

hi guys sorry not looking for anyone to make the decision for me just some opinions on your experiences maybe . Hussey i was thinking of going over on the WHV visa and straight away look of a sponsorship in oz do you think that is a good plan ? I was thinking of Darwin have friends there > Also i have my house almost payed for at home so thats a worry less and i was thinking if things didnt work out in oz i come back here id be about 30 and try set up my own company would not be easy but would be something i also wanted to do . Any opinions would be greatly appreciated thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Go for it especially if you have friends there. You will only regret not going always wondering what if.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

hi guys sorry not looking for anyone to make the decision for me just some opinions on your experiences maybe . Hussey i was thinking of going over on the WHV visa and straight away look of a sponsorship in oz do you think that is a good plan ? I was thinking of Darwin have friends there > Also i have my house almost payed for at home so thats a worry less and i was thinking if things didnt work out in oz i come back here id be about 30 and try set up my own company would not be easy but would be something i also wanted to do . Any opinions would be greatly appreciated thanks
    Why would you try to get sponsored straight away. If you come over on a whv you have 2 years to look for sponsorship. Construction work in Darwin would count towards a 2nd year visa. To be honest I think sponsorship is one of the worst visas to be on over here. There are plenty of other options other than sponsorship. Your best bet is come over on a whv if you are going to come and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If you're undecided then just do a working holiday visa. As you're working at the moment save as much money for the trip so it doesn't become a misery. I was hosteling for three weeks in oz years ago and I probably saw more of the country in that short time than people on whv who were scrambling to pay the rent every week. (truth be told they were mostly drinking anyway).
    You get the picture, give yourself as many options as possible. If you like it you might get sponsored, if you think it's just meh, you come back but you'll still have had a longer than usual holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

also be aware the you will need an Australian plumbing license to get plumbing work with a lot of reputable companies over here , there is an Irish plumber working for the company i work for and he reckons a lot of the fittings etc are completely different to back home.

so if you do come over here you might have to study a little and get your oz license.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Come on down the pies here are fecking gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Yumee

Mmm Pie Face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Overpriced ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Hi dude,

Thats exactly what I did this time last year. I came over here (Melbourne) with very little cash and looked for work straight away. I ended up getting a job in Bendigo (about 2 hours north of Melbourne), got sponsored and am now on a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa. Things have worked out well as the pay is good (twice what I was earning back home!), and the cost of living isnt too expensive. The RSMS seems to be a good option for those willing to stick it out outside of the big cities for a couple of years. Once the couple of years are up, you're free to live and work in ANY part of OZ. Gives me the chance to save monies, travel more and maybe try make a go of things back in Eire or the UK in 2-3 years time, and I'll always have the option of coming back here! So its win-win! Worth considering anyways. ;)

Advertisement