Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - temporary closure of Ballinasloe to Athlone motorway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

antoobrien wrote: »
    I take it you've never driven on the old N6 between Ballinasloe & Athlone. It's a half hour if there's any traffic. On the motorway its a half hour to Galway city.

Ya i come on here & make pretty definitive statements about a road iv never driven on. FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Ya i come on here & make pretty definitive statements about a road iv never driven on. FFS!

wouldn't be the first or last time that's happened

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I’m not too sure it will have that much effect or dissuade people from shopping in Athlone to be honest,. The old N6 is a pretty decent road in its own right, its only the first 3 or 4 km's out of Athlone towards Ballinasloe that can draw traffic, the rest of the road is very free flowing.
    Still it seems like the original job was very rushed if it has to have major works done 28 months after opening.
    Hopefully Ice Age 3 won't hit in the middle of the works

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Why would anyone in east galway decide not to go to athlone just because the motorway is closed? If they where to make that decision then they would be morons. The old road is still in good condition, & with the speed limit still 100km & it actually being a few km's shorter, it works out much of a muchness to head that way.

It's a terrible road in terms of good overtaking opportunities. You will be lucky to average 80kmh if there is any sort of traffic on it. I stress the word lucky because you could average less than that. Compare that to a guaranteed 120kmh on the motorway and it's not really much of a muchness in terms of journey times or predictability in journey times.

Also, the diversion will actually make Westbound journeys 1.5km longer.
    M6
    M6 - R446 -M6

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Athlone shouldn't be too badly affected by this, remember it's the West bound carriage thats been worked on, i.e. the road away from Athlone, so shoppers will have no problem getting to Athlone, it's getting home that will frustrate and tire.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Athlone shouldn't be too badly affected by this, remember it's the West bound carriage thats been worked on, i.e. the road away from Athlone, so shoppers will have no problem getting to Athlone, it's getting home that will frustrate and tire.

Did you ever stop to consider the fact that this will make people think twice about going there? I know I won't go somewhere I will have trouble leaving.

The old Athlone to Ballinasloe road is the best section of the old route anyway, at most it'll add about five minutes to the journey west.

The only part of the route that will have any congestion will be the Athlone junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

antoobrien wrote: »
    I take it you've never driven on the old N6 between Ballinasloe & Athlone. It's a half hour if there's any traffic. On the motorway its a half hour to Galway city.

Exxagerate much? Are you perchance that property developer who mentioned a place in Ballymahon thats "5 minutes to Athlone Town Centre"

Your either that or a maniac driver. I live right beside Exit 13 (Athlone West) and can tell you that it takes 45 minutes (at speed limit) to get to Headford Shopping Centre.

Its people like this that give me my username....

Please no more exxageration.

Exxagerate much? Are you perchance that property developer who mentioned a place in Ballymahon thats "5 minutes to Athlone Town Centre"

Your either that or a maniac driver. I live right beside Exit 13 (Athlone West) and can tell you that it takes 45 minutes (at speed limit) to get to Headford Shopping Centre.

Maybe I should have said at least a half hour between Ballinasloe & Athlone on the old N6, would that have been better? I've driven it often enough that's about right.

It is 30 minutes from Ballinsloe to Galway on the MW - care to dispute?

I never made a claim on how long it takes to get to the Galway Shopping Center on the Headford ROAD (I didn't know there was a shopping center in Headford village), but 15 minutes is about right - if there's no traffic about (which almost never happens in galway).

Besides people are going east not just from Ballinasloe, but from the likes of Athenry & Loughrea, to go to Athlone to shop because of the mess that is galway traffic. Are you seriously suggesting that traffic disruptions on the way to or from Athlone will not make them think twice about it?

Its people like this that give me my username....

Please no more exxageration.

You give yourself the username, perchance the next time you might read the post properly before blowing your lid.

• Advertisement

"Because of the rain and frost we've been having, and because it doesn't seem likely that these conditions will change, it was decided yesterday that we would postpone the work."
    What sort of weather were they expecting! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Thank feck it's postponed, pure madness doing that work in the depths of winter if it's "weather dependent".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Methinks they got so much flak that they were told not to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fti

What sort of weather were they expecting! :rolleyes:

it's truly bewildering and yet enchanting to imagine that some people were expecting warmth, sunshine & maybe heat waves in December. :)

Advertisement