Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGeady is class - discuss

• 12-11-2011 2:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

So I think McGeady is world class. The haters judge him on Ireland performances but he is doing the business for Spartak and I'm tellin yeh - at the Euros he will perform and be going to a huge club thereafter. I think he is a fantastic player. Do you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

McGeady, when things are going well looks the part, throws the shapes etc etc.. when things aren't going quite so well goes missing. thats my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

darkman2 wrote: »
    So I think McGeady is world class. The haters judge him on Ireland performances but he is doing the business for Spartak and I'm tellin yeh - at the Euros he will perform and be going to a huge club thereafter. I think he is a fantastic player. Do you?

Hello Mr McGeady. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm far from a McGeady hater, but he's an average player who shows the very odd bit of brilliance. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He reminds me of a bird - his wings do a lot of flapping, but he doesn't seem to get very far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Reminds me of nani in his early united career

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

He's a good player and one of our best, but he needs to up his end product to be a top player, never mind world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

World Class?

Post reported for trolling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

To the haters - last weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

There are better Irish players then him and they are not even close to World Class. McGeady has only recently started to show his talents for Ireland so it is a long stretch to say he is World Class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

A world class player, depending on his attributes and type of player, must pocess, at a very minimum...vision, awareness, unpredictabilty, speed, skill...If the OP thinks McGeady excels in all these attributes then he is entitled to see him as a world class player. However, if he is honest with himself, he'll raise them green tinted glasses above his nose and hopefully some something might click...

OP, do you know what "World Class" means?

In your opinion, what exactly does World Class mean and how does McGeady fit the criteria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

McGeady is only good when he's up against a $hite right back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A world class player is someone who would make it into the first XI of most top international sides. McGeady wouldn't. Doing the business in Scotland and Russia does not make one world class.

I do think the criticism of him is OTT at times but so too is the praise. Why should he be lauded for putting a ball into a good area? That should be expected from him. I personally thought he could have done better against Estonia. At times he went down blind alleys, or failed to get a decent ball in - the usual problems he has.

He is worth persisting with imo because he works hard and can occasionally provide the crucial bit of class required, but this often requires having to endure numerous moments of frustration at a poor end product. The comparison with Nani from a few years ago is pretty apt actually.

I think the haters hate because he plays for Ireland - if he didn't do you not think we would notice? The game tonight - McGeady responsible for at least 2 of the goals. I accept he has not proven himself at international level yet. I still think he is class though and will prove himself in the Euros.

I personally thought he could have done better against Estonia. At times he went down blind alleys, or failed to get a decent ball in - the usual problems he has.

Me too, I thought he wasn't even Ireland's 2nd best player tonight. I thought he could've done better.

And about the praise he receives, it was summed up by the orgasming in the match thread when Ireland scored the 2nd goal. Some people were acting like he had scored it or something.

He got a shot on target that the keeper dealt with badly....... big swing. NOBODY mentioned how Robbie Keane did well to cross it however.

I think the haters hate because he plays for Ireland - if he didn't do you not think we would notice? The game tonight - McGeady responsible for at least 2 of the goals. I accept he has not proven himself at international level yet. I still think he is class though and will prove himself in the Euros.

So he was "responsible" for 2 or more of the goals?

Mind telling me which goals he was "respobsible" for exactly? I seem to remember one alright.

And mind answering my question?
    MrStuffins wrote: »

In your opinion, what exactly does World Class mean and how does McGeady fit the criteria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think he's a good player, who's biggest strength his is ability to go past players. However what he does a lot of the time, before and after that strength, can be frustrating. Sometimes he's not clever enough with the ball, i.e trying to beat 2 players instead of a simple pass back or across the midfield. His crossing also hasn't improved the way it should have since his form years at Celtic.

He's not world class, I actually thought he'd be closer to it than he actually is right now, based on his ability to go past players, which is goldust to have in a team. But im still glad he plays for Ireland, based on what he can do.

Mind telling me which goals he was "respobsible" for exactly? I seem to remember one alright.

Respobsible?:confused:

Anyway your second question - I think your a fool if you don't know how lucky we are just to have him. I think no matter how good a winger is for Ireland you would be hating. He is a great player to have for us. Are you saying he is not:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

On his day he is a joy to watch but at this place in time and overall , a great team player to have in any side .

• Advertisement

Respobsible?:confused:

Jaysus.
    Anyway your second question - I think your a fool if you don't know how lucky we are just to have him. I think no matter how good a winger is for Ireland you would be hating. He is a great player to have for us. Are you saying he is not:confused:

That's all well and good.

You didn't answer the question though.

Also, you didn't answer this one either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I certainly don't hate because he plays for Ireland, I'm delighted we can call on someone who has the potential to turn a game in our favour. However, that ability needs to be met with some sort of consistency. At the minute he goes missing for 5 + games.

Decent player, but needs to be become a lot more consistent, IMO.

All I am saying is he has the potential - he definately has the potential to be world class IMO. Don't know why people don't agree tbh. He is a bloody good player as it is. Yes for Ireland he has not fulfilled his full promise yet. That does not make him crap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Good pace, great skill BUT does not know when to use them to his advantage.

For the first goal tonight, which was a good cross to Andrews, he took 2 or 3 unneccessary cross overs. I was screaming for him to cross it early as there was no need to take his man on, the defender was standing off him anyway.

He does not have the footballing brain that Nani(even he drives me mad with his decision making), Bale, etc has so he will NEVER be World Class.

All I am saying is he has the potential - he definately has the potential to be world class IMO.

That's not what you said though.
    So I think McGeady is world class.

So now what you're doing is back-tracking. You jumped on the bandwagon and as soon as you had to think about how he'd fit the criteria for being World Class you changed your mind. Glad I was of service wink.gif

Now, onto your other point and my question about it:
    The game tonight - McGeady responsible for at least 2 of the goals.

Mind telling me which goals he was "respobsible" for exactly?

There used to be a guy who played for Everton about 10 years ago ( Peter Beagrie ) who was famous for taken on and beating 2 or 3 defenders , then he would reverse and head back outside the box ...every game this would happen and frustrating to watch in that you thought jeeze ....keep going man .

McGeady is a similar style player who unless told otherwise by the bench ,should go the whole hog and take the them all on .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

This is a troll thread. It must be... I mean McGeady and world class in the same sentence is laughable. I'd even go so far as to say I disagree with the general opinion here that he is a "decent player" with occasional flashes of brilliance. I think he's pure muck. He runs into dead ends way too often, he can skip by one or two players but the third will always put the ball out into row Z, his final ball is appaling and when you think about it its what he's in the team for, to.be.able.to.cross. And he can't.

Useless.

/discuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

He did well tonight I give you that. But then again, the Faroes beat Estonia.

FatherTed wrote: »
    He did well tonight I give you that. But then again, the Faroes beat Estonia.
    Which puts everything into perspective and judging by Keane's reaction to his 'tap in ' goal tonight ,you would think we were world beaters ( which we never will be )

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    Which puts everything into perspective and judging by Keane's reaction to his 'tap in ' goal tonight ,you would think we were world beaters ( which we never will be )

His reaction is VERY justifiable.

For one, he did well for the goal, it was no coincidence he was in the right spot to score it. Also, he has been through A LOT of Play Off heartbreak, his goal effectively killed the tie and sent Ireland through.

He had every right to be ecstatic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

McGeady or Messi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If he played in the EPL a la McCarthy, things would be different though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think if he had gone through the Barca youth academy he'd be up there, nothing against Celtic's but McGeady was a level above at a young age and while he has steadily improved his production, it's still not at the level that it should be after this many years.

I still think he's a very good, great on his day player and a great player for Ireland to have both now and in the future.

Liam O wrote: »
    I think if he had gone through the Barca youth academy he'd be up there, nothing against Celtic's but McGeady was a level above at a young age and while he has steadily improved his production, it's still not at the level that it should be after this many years.

I still think he's a very good, great on his day player and a great player for Ireland to have both now and in the future.

Thats a fail right there, barca's system would never produce a fail, should we start a count? :rolleyes:. FFS!

Dempsey wrote: »
    Thats a fail right there, barca's system would never produce a fail, should we start a count? :rolleyes:. FFS!

I think you missed the point.

• Advertisement

This is what I am talking about. People say he is **** because he plays for Ireland. Let me ask them one thing.....ARE YOU HAPPY HE PLAYS FOR IRELAND!? He could be a no hoper playing for Scotland now. But he plays for us and I think he will prove himself.

This is what I am talking about. People say he is **** because he plays for Ireland. Let me ask them one thing.....ARE YOU HAPPY HE PLAYS FOR IRELAND!? He could be a no hoper playing for Scotland now. But he plays for us and I think he will prove himself.

Hi Darkman, thanks for returning.

Now, I think you missed my post to you earlier, otherwise you'd have replied.

Never mind, i'll repeat it here:

Either that or.......... you were ignoring it?? Surely not!

I am not answering your questions until you answer mine

Would you prefer he did not play for us?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Always liked McGeady, on he's day he's as good as any winger out there. Not world class by any means but still, a decent player to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

World class? By our standards, he's a great player, but world class he isn't

Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta and Rooney to name but a few are world class right now. McGeady simply isn't in their league

• Advertisement

I think you missed the point.

Explain the point for everyone so

I am not answering your questions until you answer mine

Would you prefer he did not play for us?

Like many other players, his appearance in the team should be based on the tactics employed, form and the opposition.

In this case, the tactics and the opposition, along with the fact that he played well.tonight, would lead me to the conclusion that he should play.

Now, care to answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

& to all the Djimi Traore haters i present this

Occasional goals prove nothing ;)

Your use of youtube doesnt hide your ignorance of what Mcgeady can do.

I know his shortcomings but you lot dont have a clue

Hoki wrote: »
    & to all the Djimi Traore haters i present this

Occasional goals prove nothing ;)

Erm is McGeady's goal not a class finish? - there are many more goals I could show. But this one was last week. And yet some idiots on here claim we are not lucky to have quality playing for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

he's always looked decent in whatever mickey mouse league he's been plying his trade, and against various mickey mouse countries for ireland

tough to say how good he actually is when hes playing against that kind of muck

Dempsey wrote: »
    Your use of youtube doesnt hide your ignorance of what Mcgeady can do.

I know his shortcomings but you lot dont have a clue

Ok. Well the OP said he was World Class and a lot of people disagreed. Is it that you think he is world Class? If so, why is this?

You seem to think everyone in the thread has no clue. Care to share with us what particular points you take exception with? I happen to think most of them are pretty reasonable (apart from the World Class bit. i think that's pretty silly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

world class defending there, with a finish maradonna would be proud of after a fantastic piece of control

or not

Ok. Well the OP said he was World Class and a lot of people disagreed. Is it that you think he is world Class? If so, why is this?

You seem to think everyone in the thread has no clue. Care to share with us what particular points you take exception with? I happen to think most of them are pretty reasonable (apart from the World Class bit. i think that's pretty silly)

OP says something stupid so you decide to match him?

Erm is McGeady's goal not a class finish? - there are many more goals I could show. But this one was last week. And yet some idiots on here claim we are not lucky to have quality playing for us.

Hi Darkman, I see you're still here.

it seems you have missed yet another one of my posts. Don't worry though, I will point it out right here.
    Like many other players, his appearance in the team should be based on the tactics employed, form and the opposition.

In this case, the tactics and the opposition, along with the fact that he played well.tonight, would lead me to the conclusion that he should play.

Now, care to answer?

I've asked you many times and you seem not to be able to answer. Or maybe you've forgotten the question? Fear not though, because I can repeat it here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement