Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGeady is class - discuss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dempsey wrote: »
    in the main match thread over the last month i've given my opinion on mcgeady and i'd doubt there is a better analysis of his career than what ive given tbh

Lol. More arrogance. Did you invent the iPod as well by any chance? :rolleyes:

So, because you've given an opinion on a topic somewhere else at a random point in a different thread you feel it unnecessary to give an opinion in a thread about that specific subject? Even when asked to clarify your position?

Come back when you've learned how message boards and discussion threads work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Dempsey wrote: »
    in the main match thread over the last month i've given my opinion on mcgeady and i'd doubt there is a better analysis of his career than what ive given tbh

Lol. More arrogance. Did you invent the iPod as well by any chance? :rolleyes:

So, because you've given an opinion on a topic somewhere else at a random point in a different thread you feel it unnecessary to give an opinion in a thread about that specific subject? Even when asked to clarify your position?

Come back when you've learned how message boards and discussion threads work :rolleyes:

Ill do that for you when I get the chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

I honestly do not get the abuse McGeady and others get while playing in green. Sure he has his faults, he appears to have all the talent in the world yet at times fooks up but what are the alternatives?..Could anyone on this site do better??..He has great skill and more then once this campaign teams have doubled up on him. Does this not show the talent he has? or at least the amount of space his team mates will receive as he is being double marked? We are on the verge of reaching a major finals for the 1st time in 10 years and lets face it, as a squad these lads do not compare with their Euro 88 or WC 90 brothers yet we are nearly there...Can't we just be happy for once?

Maldjd23 wrote: »
    Could anyone on this site do better??

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

MrStuffins wrote: »

Well done on the sarcasm but really what are the options?...Hunt?..Treacy??...Plenty of lads will throw abuse without providing an alternative..What would yours be?...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Hunt every day of the week.

Maldjd23 wrote: »
    Well done on the sarcasm but really what are the options?...Hunt?..Treacy??...Plenty of lads will throw abuse without providing an alternative..What would yours be?...

There are always alternatives. But that's not the point.

Your post was silly because you pulled the old card, the one you don't hear after 4th class in primary school.

"He's a bad footballer? Well he's better than you"

Nobody threw abuse here. People pointed out that he was not World Class because that's what the OP said.

Just because he happens to be our best winger (in some peoples opinion, not necessarily mine), doesn't mean the points about him not being consistent enough are invalid.

In my opinion, most of his crosses are shocking (I recognise he executed a seemingly good cross tonight. I am basing my opinion on his entire Ireland career and this campaign especially), he's a poor passer, he can't shoot either. Most of his shots are blasted wide or they're lame and straight at the keeper (he has 2 goals for Ireland in 45 games and even one of them was a shot that was straight at the keeper who messed it up)

Yes, he CAN beat players. But he rarely does for Ireland and this is why........... he gets double marked. And when he does, instead of using his brain he thinks somehow he can beat both players. It rarely happens.

He's a decent player but very frustrating to watch. he needs to improve his end product A LOT!

I hear a lot of "He's got potential". Well he's 25 years old, he should've realised his potential by now.

Feel free to disagree, but note that just because we haven't got another winger who is miles ahead of him doesn't make any of my points any less true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To answer the OP
    So I think McGeady is world class. The haters judge him on Ireland performances but he is doing the business for Spartak and I'm tellin yeh - at the Euros he will perform and be going to a huge club thereafter. I think he is a fantastic player. Do you?

McGeady is a sub premiership player at the moment. He has skills and when he uses them yes he can beat people but just because he has a good game against an Estonian side that surprised me at how mediocre they actually were doesn't automatically make him the next Messi.

He is a winger but he rarely puts a good cross in. Last nights cross for the goal wasn't great, an Italian defence would have had it cleared with no issues at all.

To be a top class player he needs intelligence and consistency both of which he lacks in spades at the moment.

As regards the Irish team yes he probably is one of our better players but I think that highlights how weak the panel of players we have is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

darkman2 wrote: »
    So I think McGeady is world class. The haters judge him on Ireland performances but he is doing the business for Spartak and I'm tellin yeh - at the Euros he will perform and be going to a huge club thereafter. I think he is a fantastic player. Do you?
    The Bhoy is world class.Simple as that. He doesnt play in the out of this world EPL so he wont get the acknowlegmennt he deserves.His display last night just confirms what I already knew.;).Skill oozes out of the bhoy.

gandalf wrote: »
    To answer the OP

McGeady is a sub premiership player at the moment. He has skills and when he uses them yes he can beat people but just because he has a good game against an Estonian side that surprised me at how mediocre they actually were doesn't automatically make him the next Messi.

He is a winger but he rarely puts a good cross in. Last nights cross for the goal wasn't great, an Italian defence would have had it cleared with no issues at all.

To be a top class player he needs intelligence and consistency both of which he lacks in spades at the moment.

As regards the Irish team yes he probably is one of our better players but I think that highlights how weak the panel of players we have is.
    Good God. You EPL fans are a deluded bunch.To put it mildly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    The Bhoy is world class.Simple as that. He doesnt play in the out of this world EPL so he wont get the acknowlegmennt he deserves.His display last night just confirms what I already knew.;).Skill oozes out of the bhoy.

He's a decent skilful player at best. Nowhere near world class. Him playing in the EPL or not has nothing to do with it - where would that leave Messi et al if that were the case?

The Bhoy is world class.

Between my statement and yours I think you qualify for the more deluded one ;)

When I see clubs of the stature of Barcelona and Man United get involved in a bidding war for the services of your "World Class" player then I'll agree with you. That day will never come based on his performances so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

darkman2 wrote: »

Take off the green tints 67he is a smashing wee player but world class not a chance
    He put in one really good cross last night a the first goal came from it that was it the amount of times he just didnt do what he should be doing was just crazy
    So sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

i think he's a good player myself, does a lot of tracking back and defensive work but his decision making at times is still suspect and his is final ball. but a good player and should always start for us.

but some of the opinions on this thread, from both sides, are genuinely laughable

flahavaj wrote: »
    He's a decent skilful player at best. Nowhere near world class. Him playing in the EPL or not has nothing to do with it - where would that leave Messi et al if that were the case?
    Messi is the best player in the world. McGeady is world class though. Not the best-but he is world class.Some of the tricks he does are on a genius level.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Hunt every day of the week.
    Sweet suffering jayzus.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Messi is the best player in the world. McGeady is world class though. Not the best-but he is world class.Some of the tricks he does are on a genius level.

What's your definition of world class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Beggars can't be choosers in terms of the Ireland squad.
    He's a decent player. Inconsistent, often does a decent-ish job but has flashes of brilliance occasionally.

He is 25 though. His potential is now ability and it's not world class.

IMO, he wouldn't make the best of a EPL or La Liga squad so he can't be considered World Class.

Doing tricks has nothing to do with being a world class footballer. Maybe it makes you world class to the rubberhead Soccer AM generation, but in the real world its pretty low on the list of attributes required to be world class.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He does things with a football that are absurd. Things that most other players simply cannot do. He is world class. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

A player who can do the Maradona 7 obviously

He does things with a football that are absurd. Things that most other players simply cannot do. He is world class. Simple as that.

Repeating your point is not a good way to win an argument, it only highlights the fact that you don't even have one in the first place.

Tricks are no good without end product. Perhaps he should be on Rooney's Street Striker programme?

I'd much rather a McGeady that could swing in a brilliant ball or score more goals for Ireland than a McGeady who can do a few slick tricks.

Repeating your point is not a good way to win an argument, it only highlights the fact that you don't even have one in the first place.
    What? As in WHAT?

I'm actually flabbergasted that anyone could call McGeady world class & keep a straight face tbh.

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »
    Tricks are no good without end product. Perhaps he should be on Rooney's Street Striker programme?

I'd much rather a McGeady that could swing in a brilliant ball or score more goals for Ireland than a McGeady who can do a few slick tricks.
    Haters ganna hate:rolleyes:

I'm actually flabbergasted that anyone could call McGeady world class & keep a straight face tbh.
    Flabbergast away.I suppose Rooney is world class??????

I don't even think PARKHEAD believes it himself, it just suits him to say it about a former Celtic player who doesn't play in a league he admits he has an irrational bias against.

Who do you think is better Rooney or McGeady?

Haters ganna hate:rolleyes:

Oh come on, you can do better than that can't ya?

Name a World Class squad there and realistically try and put McGeady in it. You won't be able.
    Now try a reserve World Class squad and try and put him in it. You won't be able.

I'd be absolutely feckin' love it if he became a consistently brilliant winger.

• Advertisement

You think McGeady is as good as Rooney? Seriously?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Thing is we can't see straight faces on here,

I think he is obviously on the better side of average, but nowhere near World Class. I was excited about him earlier in his career, I thought he had fantastic potential, but it has not materialised.

Honestly-Aidan Mcgeady. Just my opinion. Mcgeadys got skills that Rooney can only aspire to. Rooneys a battering ram- type player.Id like him at Celtic though;).Hes said hes a Celtic fan.(Everton first obviously)

Honestly-Aidan Mcgeady. Just my opinion. Mcgeadys got skills that Rooney can only aspire to. Rooneys a battering ram- type player.Id like him at Celtic though;).Hes said hes a Celtic fan.

What. The. ****.

:eek: :confused:

Honestly-Aidan Mcgeady. Just my opinion. Mcgeadys got skills that Rooney can only aspire to. Rooneys a battering ram- type player.Id like him at Celtic though;).Hes said hes a Celtic fan.

You are of course entitled to your opinion but now you have ensured that your opnion on football shall be henceforth be worthless to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

dear ****ing God

Honestly-Aidan Mcgeady. Just my opinion. Mcgeadys got skills that Rooney can only aspire to. Rooneys a battering ram- type player.Id like him at Celtic though;).Hes said hes a Celtic fan.(Everton first obviously)

ROFLOL and who said humour was dead on the soccer forum :)

What. The. ****.

:eek: :confused:
    Get over it.The world of football doesnt revolve around the EPL.Believe it or not.;)

McGeady, world class, sweet ****ing Jesus.

gandalf wrote: »
    ROFLOL and who said humour was dead on the soccer forum :)
    Yeer all full of EPL guff:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Get over it.The world of football doesnt revolve around the EPL.Believe it or not.;)

Yeah but you cannot put McGeady in the same class as Rooney...not by a long long way.

I think its safe to file PARKHEAD under the SOTS heading of posters who don't really care how ridiculous their posts are as long as they get them a bit of attention.

McGeady, world class, sweet ****ing Jesus.
    So your saying McGeady is world class. And you think Jesus is sweet.Nice one.;)

I think its safe to file PARKHEAD under the SOTS heading of posters who don't really care how ridiculous their posts are as long as they get them a bit of attention.
    I love you too. Mcgeady is a world class player.Sorry if this upsets you.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

McGeady is one of our best players, but he is not world class. End of.

McGeady is one of our best players, but he is not world class. End of.
    He is though.He is world class.

I love you too. Mcgeady is a world class player.Sorry if this upsets you.;)

It doesn't so much upset me as make me laugh heartily.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

World Class? No way, not by any stretch of the imagination. However he is a very good player and one we should be very grateful to have in our team, he is arguably the only player we have who the opposition would fear playing against. He has improved his game a lot since his move to Russia IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

The charter should cover this sort of ****

People claiming McGeady is better then Rooney, or as I read the other day, Hernandez better then Ronaldo should be banned instantly on the basis that its opinions as ridiculous and nonsensical as these that can justify opposition to freedom of speech

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

can I have some of what you're smoking man?

Advertisement