Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGeady is class - discuss

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

flahavaj wrote: »
    You are of course entitled to your opinion but now you have ensured that your opnion on football shall be henceforth be worthless to me.
    Your opinions on football keep me awake at night.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He's a 1 in 4 player. One good game out of four - wouldn't think he's near good enough for any top half Premier League team.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    can I have some of what you're smoking man?
    Fresh air bud. Keeps me fresh. And tuned in to reality.:p

He's a 1 in 4 player. One good game out of four - wouldn't think he's near good enough for any top half Premier League team.
    Oh no. Another deluded "EPL fan". Jayzez.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Your looking at a McGeady who is playing in an Irish side that don't like to pass the ball, who like the root one ball and don't like to move for eachother.

I don't know about his club football, but imo the Irish style of playing isn't doing him any justice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Please be trolling, cause if you're not, it's actually worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »

He's not good enough for the top half of the premier league full stop. Runs up dead ends far too often, can't cross to save his life. Out of all the times I've seen him play I can honestly only say he played well in a handfull of games.

World class - lol
    Average player - not even
    Poor player with potential to be average is what he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

tommyhaas wrote: »
    The charter should cover this sort of ****

People claiming McGeady is better then Rooney, or as I read the other day, Hernandez better then Ronaldo should be banned instantly on the basis that its opinions as ridiculous and nonsensical as these that can justify opposition to freedom of speech
    Yep, some of the crap getting spouted in this place is deliberately inflamatory.

FearDark wrote: »
    He's not good enough for the top half of the premier league full stop. Runs up dead ends far too often, can't cross to save his life. Out of all the times I've seen him play I can honestly only say he played well in a handfull of games.

World class - lol
    I love your jokes.Keep em coming.Jesus wept.

Hardly. Just using a yardstick that most people here will be able to relate to. But hey if you think he's better than Rooney I don't think they're be much reasoning to be done.

• Advertisement

World class - lol
    If you think he's a poor player - how do the rest of the Irish team stack up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

He's not world class but I think he's better than a lot give him credit for. He was the whipping boy for a long time, I think a lot have come around because of his performances in this campaign.
    Hopefully he can show his talent to the world this summer. He brings Ireland a bit of flair and excitement, nobody can doubt that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Main problem I have with McGeady is that he doesn't kick the ball well. He slaps the ball rather than getting is foot around the ball if that makes sense.

Should be in the squad but he is one of the players whos place should be up for grabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

McGeady's what 26 next year?

Fact is, if he was the class player the OP and others allude to he'd be playing at one of the top Spanish, English or maybe an AC/Inter/Munich.

He isn't. And that should tell you all you need to know. He's at his level.

I love your jokes.Keep em coming.Jesus wept.

Good reply and gives us a great insight into your thinking...:rolleyes:

So McGeady has played in a WOEFUL Scottish league, a not so great Russain League and to be fair an average Ireland team. And lets be honest here, he hasn't set those leagues alight has he, blended in with the other mediocre players. Sure if he was any good, or even good enough wouldn't he have gotten a transfer to England/Spain/Italy last summer?

Hardly. Just using a yardstick that most people here will be able to relate to. But hey if you think he's better than Rooney I don't think they're be much reasoning to be done.
    Rooney plays in England. Hes seen as a GOD. McGeady is playing in Russia(where the real money is phenomenal)McGeady chose Russia over the EPL.Get over it.Fergie would have Aiden at united in a heartbeat if finances alllowed.

cson wrote: »
    McGeady's what 26 next year?

Fact is, if he was the class player the OP and others allude to he'd be playing at one of the top Spanish, English or maybe an AC/Inter/Munich.

He isn't. And that should tell you all you need to know. He's at his level.

Just because a top team didn't take the gamble on him from Celtic doesn't mean much. Spartak did and they are playing at a good level and his performances have attracted interest from other clubs.

If you think he's a poor player - how do the rest of the Irish team stack up?

That's not the point.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Just because a top team didn't take the gamble on him from Celtic doesn't mean much. Spartak did and they are playing at a good level and his performances have attracted interest from other clubs.
    Celtic are a top team.

Rooney plays in England. Hes seen as a GOD. McGeady is playing in Russia(where the real money is phenomenal)McGeady chose Russia over the EPL.Get over it.Fergie would have Aiden at united in a heartbeat if finances alllowed.

Can someone archive this post please, it made me lol so much. You are deluded.

• Advertisement

Celtic are a top team.

The top team in a small country with a shít league.

By your reasoning... Shamrock Rovers are a top team.

If he's such a class player then why would he go from such a great team in Celtic to Russia??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

If he's such a class player then why would he go from such a great team in Celtic to Russia??

Rangers are comfortably the top team up there atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Celtic are a top team.

in scotland

Can someone archive this post please, it made me lol so much. You are deluded.
    Love you too bud.Oligarchs rule Russian football.Oligarch's mean money.Come back to me when you've stopped LOL'ing:D

Rangers are comfortably the top team up there atm.

I meant "A" top team in Scotland there Pedantic Pat.

Love you too bud.Oligarchs rule Russian football.Oligarch's mean money.Come back to me when you've stopped LOL'ing:D
    No reasoning with you because youre clearly deluded.

in scotland
    Naw.In Europe. Check your stats.One of the biggest clubs in Europe.;)

Celtic are a top team.

Don't need to sell the club to me :)

in scotland
    No reasoning with you because youre clearly deluded.
    Ya. Im deluded:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Isn't one of the main reasons you despise the EPL how its a money oriented, soulless league?

So McGeady has played in a WOEFUL Scottish league, a not so great Russain League and to be fair an average Ireland team. And lets be honest here, he hasn't set those leagues alight has he
    Where are you getting that idea from?

He was a vital player for Celtic and had brilliant performances in the Champions League against top teams like AC Milan. He has been a key player for Spartak (who are about at the level of a mid-table Premier League team) and done well most times I have seen him both domestically and in Europe.

I think his level is at a team challenging for a Champions League spot (i.e. Aston Villa, Atletico Madrid, Roma, etc.).

I meant "A" top team in Scotland there Pedantic Pat.

I'm agreeing with you! They're not even the top team in their own city these days.:pac:

I'm agreeing with you! They're not even the top team in their own city these days.:pac:
    So Ill mark you down as another rangers fan.Well done you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Shamrock Rovers are a top club. Not that I would recommend you going to support them - better clubs than them in the LoI. These clubs could become great teams with greater support from the sport-loving Irish public!

McGeady is a decent player - like a lot of wingers he doesn't have great awareness of what's happening around him so he runs down blind alleys. The difference between him and similar players, say, Robben, is Robben's greater awareness and his much greater physical strength.

The standard of football in the Russian league is higher, I would say, than it is in Scotland. Celtic are probably a bigger 'club' (tradition, heritage, cultural significance) than any team in Russia.

But the claim that McGeady is a better footballer than Wayne Rooney is clearly a wind up. Why even respond?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

You have a strange idea what constitutes a Bear 67 :p

• Advertisement

I support neither.

I note you couldn't disagree though.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

The league table doesn't lie. Rangers are a better side right now. As they have been for the last 3 yrs. Stating the obvious doesn't make you a Rangers fan

born2bwild wrote: »
    Shamrock Rovers are a top club. Not that I would recommend you going to support them - better clubs than them in the LoI.

Really? There's better sides that the back-to-back league champions? The Setanta Cup All-Ireland champions? The team that this season took the League of Ireland to the group stage of European football for the first time?

This ridiculous thread is going nowhere.

Can a mod please lock it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Really? There's better sides that the back-to-back league champions? The Setanta Cup All-Ireland champions? The team that this season took the League of Ireland to the group stage of European football for the first time?
    If you read my post you'll see I used the word 'club', not 'team'. Of course they're the best team in the LoI. I just don't think that they're the best club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

This ridiculous thread is going nowhere.

Can a mod please lock it?

Hell no, this thread is gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Crazy range of opinions on this thread, for what it's worth I think McGeady is a good player no more or less, well able for the EPL but not the top 4 or 5 clubs.

If anyone gets the chance to watch him playing for Spartak it might change a few opinions on him, there he usually plays as part of a front 3 and they use him as an out ball to spring counter attacks, he often finds himself running 1 on 1 at defenders with plenty of space and thrives on it.

The Irish formation doesn't help him or Duff for that matter as they are often isolated and double marked, I'm not for a minute suggesting we change our formation to suit him but it has to be taken into account as to why we don't see the best from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

McGeady has only played 3 decent competitive games for Ireland vs Andorra, Georgia and Estonia. Not really the standards for world class.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Celtic are a top team.

hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha at what? Cos it's not football. Unless you mean they're a top team at being sh-ite in the scottish league.

I reckon we could cobble together a team from boards that'd give Celtic a paddling.

Zatman wrote: »
    McGeady has only played 3 decent competitive games for Ireland vs Andorra, Georgia and Estonia. Not really the standards for world class.

+1

World class, the man can't dribble the ball without looking down, makes terrible decisions and can't cross his legs. My hope is that Coleman will at last get some game time and we'll be starting him and Duff next Summer.

Both give better protection to the full backs, are better on the ball and their awareness is streets ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is some good quality posting. My goodness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

this thing about mcgeady picking russia over england... they werent exactly queuing up for him in england were they? villa were interested, but the board wouldnt sanction a move for him. was there even anyone else after him from the epl?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

syngindub wrote: »
    McGeady, when things are going well looks the part, throws the shapes etc etc.. when things aren't going quite so well goes missing. thats my opinion

Nonsense. McGeady has improved his overall game immensely over the last couple of years. His final ball remains frustratingly erratic, but I think he may still improve on that.

He is worth his place in the team for his work rate, tracking back etc. alone. Trapatoni would not pick him otherwise, because he has options in that position. It really annoys me that some Ireland fans constantly criticise him. I think it's because for all the Irish Celtic supporters, there is an element among Irish soccer fans who dislike Celtic, maybe out of jealousy or snobbery - feck knows what it is? McGeady being a former Celt is disliked among this bunch of weirdos.

Doesn't matter what these weirdos think, McGeady has nailed down his place in Ireland's starting 11 under Trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

syngindub wrote: »
    McGeady, when things are going well looks the part, throws the shapes etc etc.. when things aren't going quite so well goes missing. thats my opinion

Nonsense. McGeady has improved immensely over the last couple of years. His final ball remains frustratingly erratic, but I think he may still improve on that.

He is worth his place in the team for hiks work rate tracking back etc. alone, Trapatoni would not pick him otherwise because he has options in that position. It really annoys me that some Ireland fans constantly criticise him. I think it's because for all the Irish Celtic supporters, there is an element among Irish soccer fans who dislike Celtic, maybe out of jealousy or snobbery - feck knows what it is? McGeady being a former Celt is disliked among this bunch of weirdos.

Doesn't matter what these weirdos think, McGeady has nailed down his place in Ireland's starting 11 under Trap.
    people criticize him because for the large part, he's fairly ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Can the mods please lock and then delete this thread. This is the sort of thing that has the potential to turn prospective, and current posters away from the forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    people criticize him because for the large part, he's fairly ****.

You're entitled to you're opinion but you're wrong bud. In fact i'd safely say you haven't a balls notion what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement