Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGeady is class - discuss

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

orourkeda wrote: »
    I thought the answer to that question was obvious.

You're going to have to expand on that, that is of course unless you're just talking through your hoop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    You really dont watch football often .Do you?;)

Thats a rather crass assumption isnt it?

tommyhaas wrote: »
    You're going to have to expand on that, that is of course unless you're just talking through your hoop

Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

RoryMac wrote: »
    Wasn't obvious to me either, care to explain?

No.

Your choice but what you implied makes you look a bit of a fool!

What did I imply exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Thats a rather crass assumption isnt it?
    Just answer the question and get it over with.

Just answer the question and get it over with.

I watch football regularly and often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I have nothing to add to this thread except.....How is this debate still ongoing??
    LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

McGeady isnt even in the top 200 footballers in the world!.....Paddy McCourt on his day can do even more sensational things than McGeady..just because you can do some fancy flicks and step overs doesnt instantly make you world class.

killwill wrote: »
    I have nothing to add to this thread except.....How is this debate still ongoing??
    LOL!

Why do you care if you have nothing to add?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

In other words, ''Hi pot, kettle here...''

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

What did I imply exactly?

Sorry pal looking back it wasn't you that implied it!

I could blame using my phone to post here but should've have checked before my last post.

Apologies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Now, now don't be so touchy.
    From the first post this debate has been ridiculous. I am not saying every post by the way. It is just that some peoples views, whilst they are totally entitled to them are way out there.
    I honestly thought due to some crap posted in here, the thread would have been locked by now.

tommyhaas wrote: »
    In other words, ''Hi pot, kettle here...''

Paxman here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Mcgeady is not a very good player

/close

Sorry pal looking back it wasn't you that implied it!

I could blame using my phone to post here but should've have checked before my last post.

Apologies!

OK

killwill wrote: »
    Now, now don't be so touchy.
    From the first post this debate has been ridiculous. I am not saying every post by the way. It is just that some peoples views, whilst they are totally entitled to them are way out there.
    I honestly thought due to some crap posted in here, the thread would have been locked by now.

I was only asking.

Saganist wrote: »
    Mcgeady is not a very good player

/close
    Ha Ha.Coz you sedit.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

He's better than me.

Therefore he's class :pac:

• Advertisement

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    He's better than me.

Therefore he's class :pac:
    Good ol sense of humour.I like it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

McGeadys an unreal player.Hes Scottish.Is this the reason for the hatred?He acknowledged his Irish roots, much to the disgust of most of the Scottish public.Hes got balls of steel.All ye haters out there GIRFUY.

Haha, and that is why all of us Irish people on an Irish forum don't think he's world class is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

lordgoat wrote: »
    You're entitled to your opinion but you're wrong bud. He's sh-ite. In fact i'd safely say you haven't a balls notion what you are talking about.

As good an argument as a footballer McGeady is tbh.

He's not sh-ite as you so rudely put it. He's not exactly world class either. What Aiden McGeady is, is a potentially brilliant but always hard working professional who does the job that is asked of him.

I know this thread was started as a bit of a wind up to smoke out the losers who don't recognise McGeady's value to the Irish team,still I am a bit surprised at some of the vitriol from some posters.

To his detractors; don't you get it? He's a decent player lacking in some aspects to his game but has matured to the extent that Trapatonni can rely on him to perform and do a job as required.

He was brilliant when tracking back in Moscow covering for Ward. He's a fixture in the Irish team now and those of a dissenting disposition can suck it up. McGeady is a good man and a thorough professional and hopefully will continue to add to his game.

I've no doubt he'll add more to his game. Aiden doesn't have to worry about the fools who don't "get him", he's got lots of support behind him and most of all he's got great ability to go on and make more of himself. I'd wager he'll be a star turn in Poland/Ukraine for us next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

My thoughts on Mr McGeady..
    He's as frustrating as they come but all in all he's the only player in the team that has something special in him.

It appears there is more hatred here than i thought and that has surprised me , but I'll finish with this to maybe make people think otherwise, McGeady is one of only a handful of players in the world that is double marked in every game he plays. Every time he gets the ball he is swamped by 2 or 3 players over the course of a game.
    Clearly opposition managers rate the boy.

Slattsy wrote: »
    He's as frustrating as they come but all in all he's the only player in the team that has something special in him.

It appears there is more hatred here than i thought and that has surprised me , but I'll finish with this to maybe make people think otherwise, McGeady is one of only a handful of players in the world that is double marked in every game he plays. Every time he gets the ball he is swamped by 2 or 3 players over the course of a game.

Good points well made. I don't understand some of the vitriol that you hear against him at times - borne out of ignorance more than anything I'd say.

Regardless, Aiden McGeady can rest assured that true connoissuers of the game and knowledgeable Irish soccer fans appreciate his input into the Irish team's success. I'm sure there'll be more development and success from McGeady in an Irish shirt to come.

Great post.:)

• Advertisement

Good points well made. I don't understand some of the vitriol that you hear against him at times - borne out of ignorance more than anything I'd say.

Regardless, Aiden McGeady can rest assured that true connoissuers of the game and knowledgeable Irish soccer fans appreciate his input into the Irish team's success. I'm sure there'll be more development and success from McGeady in an Irish shirt to come.
    Great points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jaysus!

This thread was ridiculous enough without PARKHEAD getting involved.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Jaysus!

This thread was ridiculous enough without PARKHEAD getting involved.
    I love you too bud.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I love you too bud.:D

Is that him or the drink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

darkman2 wrote: »
    Is that him or the drink?

A bit of both I'd say

• Advertisement

DH2K9 wrote: »
    A bit of both I'd say
    Off to the
    EPL with you.I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

He's good but far from class. Havnt seen any of him playing in Russia but thought celtic done great business selling him.

He's good but far from class. Havnt seen any of him playing in Russia but thought celtic done great business selling him.
    We should have kept him.He was brilliant.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

He's good enough for us certainly, world class though your having a laugh.

McGeady reminds me alot of Downing. A very inconsistent winger who looks great on a good day, but utterly ****e on a bad one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

At the minute he's an average player.

He does however have the potential to be a very good player.

But he'll never be anywhere near world class (by any sane definition of the word).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

McGeady is one of only a handful of players in the world that is double marked in every game he plays. Every time he gets the ball he is swamped by 2 or 3 players over the course of a game.

When our wingers are left on their own completely isolated it's easy for the opposition midfielders to help out their full back. Duff also ends up facing two markers often. Duff moves the ball quickly and links up a lot more than McGeady so it isn't as noticeable.

McGeady is a good dribbler of the ball and a hard worker. No more than that. He is also a shìte crosser. Talk of him being world class is thick. Predictions of him coming good soon are also thick. People have been predicting that McGeady will reach the next level for years. He never does.

In the last few games against very week opposition he has done okay, not even anything special, and now people think he has become a superstar. This forum has gone into idiot overdrive with this qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

McGeady is average, at best!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

All this thread does is show who knows their football and who doesn't.

McGeady world class? Ha! :D

Pro. F wrote: »
    When our wingers are left on their own completely isolated it's easy for the opposition midfielders to help out their full back. Duff also ends up facing two markers often. Duff moves the ball quickly and links up a lot more than McGeady so it isn't as noticeable.

McGeady is a good dribbler of the ball and a hard worker. No more than that. He is also a shìte crosser. Talk of him being world class is thick. Predictions of him coming good soon are also thick. People have been predicting that McGeady will reach the next level for years. He never does.

In the last few games against very week opposition he has done okay, not even anything special, and now people think he has become a superstar. This forum has gone into idiot overdrive with this qualification.

The qualification of the op that you speak of, was probably pitched a bit tongue in cheek and unintentionally perhaps doesn't do McGeady much service. However I would take issue with your comment when you say "predictions of him coming good are thick".

In actual fact McGeady has added a lot to his game over the last while, and that's a sign that he can add even more in other parts of his game in my view. McGeady in some ways has been a slow developer. Watch this space, more come to from him I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

However I would take issue with your comment when you say "predictions of him coming good are thick".

In actual fact McGeady has added a lot to his game over the last while, and that's a sign that he can add even more in other parts of his game in my view. McGeady in some ways has been a slow developer. Watch this space, more come to from him I reckon.

The only thing that will make McGeady more than an average, or slightly above average, quality player is if he adds consistent crossing to his game. He still hasn't done that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

He is handy against the Estonias and Kilmarnocks of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Mcgeady is class, not world class but imo still a class act. The Chap gets too much abuse from us, he is a quality player (I'm not McGeady btw) but he can create magic of moments (not as much as he should) with the end product, but he is the only proper dangerous player we have bar Hunt in all honesty...........****, it......We are in the Euros, Ole Ole .....

Mcgeady is class, not world class but imo still a class act. The Chap gets too much abuse from us, he is a quality player (I'm not McGeady btw) but he can create magic of moments (not as much as he should) with the end product, but he is the only proper dangerous player we have bar Hunt in all honesty...........****, it......We are in the Euros, Ole Ole .....

I agree, he is certainly our most creative force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

That says it all. If McGeady is the most creativ eplayer in the Ireland team it will be three and out in the Euros (Assuming qualification is secured of course! ;) )

Among the creative powerhouses in the Ireland starting XI like Andrews and Whelan!

I wouldn't be surprised if after McGeady that Shay Given was the 2nd most creative player!

Among the creative powerhouses in the Ireland starting XI like Andrews and Whelan!

I wouldn't be surprised if after McGeady that Shay Given was the 2nd most creative player!

Which doesn't change the validity of my post in the slightest.

That is very true.

While we're on the subject, Ali Dia is the best striker who claimed to be George Weah's cousin and got his game for Southampton as a result the Premiership has ever seen.

I'm sure you'll agree this is a valid point?

That is very true.

While we're on the subject, Ali Dia is the best striker who claimed to be George Weah's cousin and got his game for Southampton as a result the Premiership has ever seen.

I'm sure you'll agree this is a valid point?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He reminds me of a bird - his wings do a lot of flapping, but he doesn't seem to get very far.

Sorry have to call you on this analogy, Birds fly for thousands of miles. Maybe if you said a Hen or something that doesnt fly....

Anyway back on topic, Mc Geady is average. Has shown some decent spells but he lacks some foresight and the end product tends not to be the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Hes classless!

He couldn't cross his legs.

Advertisement