Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assen 2012

• 12-11-2011 4:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Planning a trip over to Assen for the WSB next April.

Planning is very much in the provisional stages but so far there are two of us and we're setting off on the Thursday. Route is Sligo to Belfast, through Scotland, Ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam and onto Assen from there. Returning on the Tuesday.

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated. Anybody done this trip? Anything we should know?

Tag-alongs more than welcome if anyone fancies it..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Went to the Moto gp there last june.It was Dublin to Holyhead across to Hull.
    Got the overnight ferry to Rotterdam and on to Amsterdam.
    Up to Assen the next day for the race,back to Amsterdam that evening.

Next day back to Rotterdam-hull-holyhead-dublin.

It took 4 days in all.Done 1100 miles in total.Shattered after it.

If I was going again I would give it an extra day or 2.

Enjoy your trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

stratowide wrote: »
    Enjoy your trip.
    Thanks.

This'll be my first biking trip abroad which is the main reason we've decided on Assen, seems to be easily accessible whilst still being a decent trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Was there last year. Be careful if having a few drinks on the Sat night after the GP, Police have mobile drink drive checkpoints all over the place on the Sun morning. Big on the spot fine and you and bike are locked up* for x-hours depending on your reading.

Lots of camp sites. Do NOT expect to get any sleep. Would recommend picking one of the smaller camp sites if camping. Things looked to get slightly out of hand on some of the bigger ones**.

Get to track early on race day to ensure good spot unless you have ticket for grandstand.

(* Big corral type place where you just sit around waiting.)
    (** Not trying to put you off going or anything, would go back next
    year in a heartbeat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Was there last year. Be careful if having a few drinks on the Sat night after the GP, Police have mobile drink drive checkpoints all over the place on the Sun morning. Big on the spot fine and you and bike are locked up* for x-hours depending on your reading.

Lots of camp sites. Do NOT expect to get any sleep. Would recommend picking one of the smaller camp sites if camping. Things looked to get slightly out of hand on some of the bigger ones**.

Get to track early on race day to ensure good spot unless you have ticket for grandstand.

(* Big corral type place where you just sit around waiting.)
    (** Not trying to put you off going or anything, would go back next
    year in a heartbeat)
    Thanks for that. And don't worry about putting me off. Out of hand suits me down to the ground. :D

Well I've roped my father into coming along for the spin. As its my first big trip and he has hundreds of thousands of miles done around the world it might be good to have him along. Also he has a sidecar at the minute so I can pack light. :D

Advertisement